HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2003, 12:45 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Are Vtail's more effected by crosswind than R/E?

I just flew my very first Vtail and it did fine, but it seemed like crosswinds were really making it squirly (10-15 mph against a sub 12oz plane). The plane I was flying is a self built clone of another self built plane that had R/E and that one always seemed to do better. There are other factors I can blame this on, but I thought I would check this first. As it was going by I got a real good look at the profile and noticed there is a lot of vertical surface for the wind to abuse.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2003, 01:05 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,477 Posts
The (any) plane ALWAYS ignores the wind, unless you disturb it.
Holding a constant heading off the wind direction;
slipping to a landing..
The (any) plane has no idea about crosswind. It's carried IN the wind, and until you reference the flight path to a fixed point on the ground, the plane will fly quite happily "aligned" with the flight path.
"other factors" include the determination of the surface areas and vee of the new tail. Surface throws, moment arms..
And a light plane in turbulence isn't all that much fun.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul