HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2003, 01:39 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I found a handy Slowstick repair fix for aluminum channel repairs!

I use Heat Shrink Tubing from Radio Shack on my wire solder/splicing jobs. The tubing I use is Radio Shack #278-1627B (It's a Variety Pack). I found out yesterday that the largest tube fits the Slowstick aluminum channel EXACTLY, it's a little tight but it will slide over the channel. I decided to try this because I used my Channel Locks to bend a little Down & Left in an effort to reduce porpoising, The Heat-Shrink tubing I fugured would cover up the slight bend & scratches that the Channel Locks left.
I go to thinking, if this is so tight without heat shrinking it, just think how tight it will be if you put your Iron to it! This might be an ideal answer to a Cracked or Broken Channel since those things are hard to come by.

P.S. - I was suprised how easy this was to bend, has anybody found a place where replacement channels can be bought?

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2003, 03:21 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Re: I found a handy Slowstick repair fix for aluminum channel repairs!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrebman
P.S. - I was suprised how easy this was to bend, has anybody found a place where replacement channels can be bought?
Does that mean you trashed yours?

Here's the link to buy a new alum fuse:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/serv...nufacturer=ALL

Just noticed they're out of stock. Must be another online place to get parts...
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); Jan 19, 2003 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 06:39 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Ebird:
No I didn't trash it, just bent it a little to much & then bent it back, didn't bend it enough to break it, I think it will be fine unless I crash it & it bends where the current bend is, then I'm probably screwed.

-Anyway-Thanks! for the Link, I'll remember that when I need it!

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jan 19, 2003, 06:43 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
You know what would be nice?
If that little plastic connector included in the kit had 3 down and right thrust.
Then you could cut the fuse near the nose, and reattach using this connector. Viola, instant downthrust and very little mod time.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Jan 19, 2003, 06:52 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Horizon has had the NYA available on the slowstick fuse snce they put it on their website (i've been keeping a daily eye on it ever since i broke mine.

i found the same tubing at an Ikarus dealer online (through ebay)
its the same as used on the Bleriot, Grade Eindecker kits with one exception

it's only 34 inches long insted of 36 ......

i have 3 spare tubes (@34" long)

the quick fix i used when i broke my nose on SS's second flight so long ago was to insert a 5/16" hardwood dowel into the fuse and screw it into place. The extra little play let me set a thrust angle.......

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy