HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2008, 01:11 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
You got it Joe. If only we could do the same with gas prices!
Mike.....I'm seriously looking into converting a small car to a plug in electric. Even if I only got a 50 mile range, I drive 11 miles each way on my daily commute. I could plug in once a day and never have to visit a Haji-Mart again. I always have a spare car so having a fuel burner for occational long trips would be simple and very cost effective.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2008, 01:25 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
My commute is 16 miles one way right now but by the end of the year it'll be 6. I'd love to drive a Segway to work! I leased my F150 because I had a feeling that I'd have trouble getting rid of it. It goes back in a few months so I've been thinking of the Escape Hybrid. It would cut my commuting fuel expense to about 2 gallons per week. Frees up a lot of $$ for my toys. Last fill for the F150 was $92 @ $3.40 (about 2 weeks ago).

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old May 22, 2008, 01:27 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,202 Posts
I personally on a limited budget can't afford $200 kits especially if the crap inside cant be trusted. I at this point have only personally bought 1 RTF plane myself. It was $120 and guess waht it still flies great on the original motor / servos. ESC/RX only things changed in over a year of service. Can you tell me this would be the case in todays RTF jets? I think not.

Every plane since that 1 RTF plane has been NPS, Slope, or no motor ARF kits. Well except for the GWS A-4 which I will only order NPS from GWS from now on . I have learned that NPS is the way to go and will be the only way I will buy from now on from any manufacturer. I have bought an X-Flight kit and even though it is not as fancy as GWS, SAPAC, StarMax, they are alot cheaper and you can get some hard to find designs. You can make these look however you want and are ready to be glassed or covered from jump. Point being is you can get a NPS plane for $100 or less. Plus in most cases the planes are on the larger side which to me is a big plus for the money.

In short I agree with all. Give us airframes or keep it all.

Jason

P.S. It cost me $50 to fill a Hyundai Elantra !!!
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old May 22, 2008, 01:32 PM
Doppler wrangler
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
I learned the hard way - bought several of these $200 kits and was severly disappointed with the gear and stock performance. And if you auger one in, you are stuck with a $200 piece of busted foam. Basically I wont buy another overpriced craptacular kit! These edf kits have to be wildly profitable for the manufacturers, and I am done doing free R&D work for them.

I'd rather buy an airframe and stuff gear into it. Much cheaper, and my junk pile doesnt grow without bound. I have so many "homeless" stock fans and motors laying around it isnt even funny.
hyperdyne is offline Find More Posts by hyperdyne
Old May 22, 2008, 01:56 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,308 Posts
So this pretty much shows how overpriced foamie edf ARF's are.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4550
Look at the size and it's made from wood. Not a edf though.

--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Last edited by stacker; May 22, 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old May 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Whole heartedly agree. The majority of foamies I buy now are the newer larger GWS models, they all can be easily bashed into scale models at a price of about $60 - $70 each... shipped.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old May 22, 2008, 02:53 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,006 Posts
True That

Dam It Mike, why didn't you start this thread a week earlier. I am with you guys all the way on this one.

Turbulence
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old May 22, 2008, 03:22 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
Excellent thread and my take on it all –

I’m guilty of buying some of that overpriced crap as well. When I think of what I spent on that little HP F-16 kit (immediately dismissed the motor, fan, and controller and used quality components) it makes me wonder what I was thinking of. Sure, it flew fine, but it was essentially $.50 worth of foam with a few fittings that I had tons of laying around from all the years I’ve been involved in modeling. My reason for the purchase? Laziness, of course. And the desire for instant gratification.

I’m waiting for my Fly Fly F-86 to come in. A bit less than $200 but at least it comes with what is arguably a relatively decent fan. Still, maybe a cooler’s –worth of Styrofoam.

I’ve had a few Alfa kits and swore them off after each one was built, flown, and eventually trashed. Again, why did I get them? They looked really, really cool and offered another easy way to get something nice looking into the air in a short amount of time.

An exception would be the Multiplex foam planes I have – an EZ Glider, Micro Jet, Fun Jet, and a Twister. All relatively reasonably priced, well engineered, and difficult to destroy.

Let’s not forget those God-awful little helicopters that come with transmitters, Rx, battery, etc. I dropped coin on one of those as well, and was fortunate enough to be able to sell it before it was reduced to its constituent molecules. I guess I’m just not a lover of helicopters for a variety of reasons and these are the lowest of the low.

Doubletap brought up a point that is very telling; not just how it relates to this thread but how people and business are conducting themselves and levying prices…Almost EVERYONE today appears to feel that no matter what they do (or don’t do) for a living, or however lazy and stupid they are, they feel entitled to live “at the top of the hill”, rather than in a lesser life style. Yes, the Chinese are slowing raising their prices (and probably the people here who are importing their products) so that the “bargain” we once had is now becoming what the price would’ve been when the product was made in-house, so to speak. I’m amazed when a Mexican gardener (probably without papers) comes around and says that he’ll mow the lawn or do this-and-that for $40 an hour or some ridiculous price in that ball park. Give me a break! What happened to the days of getting an education, working hard, and working your way up so that you could enjoy a comfortable life-style? Now everyone wants the best for the least in as short a time as possible. This is certainly affecting prices of everything today, and explains a bit of why we’re being asked to pay so much for a piece of molded Styrofoam. Sorry, rant over.

I understand that it takes money and time for come up with a mold for the foam EDF or whatever kit we’re looking at, and everyone in the manufacturing and sales chain wants to make a killing, but I for one from now on will not be buying anymore overpriced Styrofoam kits. And I won’t even get into paying the price for a square foot or two of Depron flat-plate jets….$70 plus? Get real.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old May 22, 2008, 03:57 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
I want say again - you know how much the molds cost to make these things? Upwards of $15,000! I can't even imagine how much the molds cost for the Fly Fly (big foamies)
If you aren't charging a decent amount you will never make the money back, and eventually go out of business. After distributor markups the company makes maybe $50 on one of these things - so let's do the math - You have to sell alot of these things to break even just on the mold cost alone. Theres alot involved - don't believe that these companies are making a killing... I know first hand now - after pricing things out for myself.
metroidrc is online now Find More Posts by metroidrc
Old May 22, 2008, 03:59 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,586 Posts
How many of us even use the stuff in them anyway? I have the F-5 from HL and gutted it as soon as I opened up the box. The plane is really nice. But the radio I wouldn't trust in a sailboat! Then there was the fan and motor? YUK! Who wants a jet that flies nose high and stalls in every turn just because a slight gust pops up? Not me A Jet should look and fly the part! But look at wood arf's now It took them a few years, but they are sure nice now! Man you couldn't build and cover on for any where near the price they sell them for.

So I also agree with the tone of this thread. Give us AIRFRAMES ONLY!!! Unlike Hyperdyne, I toss my old/new junk it's not worth using in anything else
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old May 22, 2008, 04:04 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
Can I say again? Try starting your own company and see how much it costs to make these things before deciding on which price is fair. $200 for an RTF or receiver ready is not a bad price. Ok, I'll stop my anti-rant now... Unsubscribing...
Old May 22, 2008, 04:05 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidrc
I want say again - you know how much the molds cost to make these things? Upwards of $15,000!
That's what they cost here, not in China. They are relatively inexpensive to develop and CNC over there.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old May 22, 2008, 04:07 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
That's what they cost here, not in China. They are relatively inexpensive to develop and CNC over there.

Doubletap
Wrong! I quoted ALL of my stuff from China first (because I thought thats the most logical step) Guess what! Got the same price here for the factory in Texas (subtract Chinese Freight) So I decided to do it here instead.
Anyway... I shouldn't be in this thread...
Old May 22, 2008, 04:12 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,586 Posts
I know about start up costs It costs about the same to make stator stamps for motors too

BUT you can't make it all back in 300 pieces You enter business for long the term, and plan ahead for it. And this is why we or at least many of us have such issue with these molds. If you have to make them anyway, it doesn't cost much more to make them correctly scale and appeal to more buyers
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old May 22, 2008, 04:15 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidrc
Wrong! I quoted ALL of my stuff from China first (because I thought thats the most logical step) Guess what! Got the same price here for the factory in Texas (subtract Chinese Freight) So I decided to do it here instead.
Anyway... I shouldn't be in this thread...
Maybe it's because you don't live over there. The numbers I got were from Chinese nationals living in their own country. I wouldn't be surprised if Americans get the "special" price. Anyways, it is what it is.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap