HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2003, 09:58 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Flight aint that great at 2 degrees...

Saturday morning took a few models up to the field. Nary any wind but the temp was 2 degrees. Launched my Sky Rider (wally wing). Flew great for about 30 seconds and just about died out.
This was with 1600 nimh batts. Launched my Bat. Same thing.
Batts were 8 cell 600 AE's. Then tried Varmint. 830 Qualcomms with M-100 motor. Flew longer but power wasn't there. All of these batts were in my pocket and freshly charged. But as soon as the cold air hit them, power dropped off. This has been a bad winter for flying. Last winter, I got all sorts of flights. I think I will fly when its in at least the 20's here (ooohhh, major heat wave!).

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2003, 03:21 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
I flew my SS in 8 degree f weather a couple nights ago. I'm using a megatech pack of 7 600mah NiMh cells and the thing flew fine!. Flight time was over 10 minutes and I froze befere the batts went dead. The performance was nothing special but it was acceptable. It was about 20 degrees last night and I finally outlasted the pack. The pack seems good for about 12 minutes at that temp. In all cases the packs were fresh charged and warm from running the car and /or keeping the batts inside. I think some low battery circuits are pickier then others. Also the SS is very forgiving and does not need full power to fly.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Jan 19, 2003, 04:01 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2002
479 Posts
Seems like the planes with battery cooling problems (no battery vents, battery encased in foam) would do best in the really cold weather. They've got built-in insulation to keep the battery warm.

At least it wasn't two degrees AND windy. BRRR!!!
Justplanenuts is offline Find More Posts by Justplanenuts
Old Jan 19, 2003, 08:38 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
At least it was above zero. I have flown a few times in -2 to -10 recently.

I also have found lion's to be effected by cold. My one lipoly set was the worst. I assume because it is so exposed.

Maybe I was fooling myself, but it seemed like if I could get them warm and then keep the throttle high the flow kept the pack warm. My best luck has been with hippobat style 950mah flat lions straining against a geared 370. I'm thinking that setup will fry in the summer, but it makes the pack mildly warm at the moment.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Jan 19, 2003, 09:02 PM
USA, VA, Centreville
Joined Jan 2003
96 Posts
LuckyArmpit,

This is a little off-topic, but you mentioned that you had a "Bat" in the post. Is this the Polk's Hobbies Bat? (a balsa delta with heavy dihedral and elevon control)

If so, what do you think about it? I saw it for the first time this weekend at the AMA show in Pasadena and haven't found much info on it...

If not, sorry about your cold issues...hope you have better luck when its "warmer"
turaboy is offline Find More Posts by turaboy
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:10 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Turaboy, my Bat is from Balsaman (Eric). Smallish speed 400 model but flies rather well and is quite speedy due to the swept back wings. Aileron controlled (elevons). Here is a pic of it...

Dave...
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:24 PM
USA, VA, Centreville
Joined Jan 2003
96 Posts
Cool plane, Dave! Unfortunately not the one I saw at the show...

I am beginning to wish I had taken a camera. It looked like Boeing's Bird of Preywithout a forward fuselage...very interesting.

BTW, were the packs cool when you took them out? Something sounds strange, but I haven't had the luck to fly in really cold weather yet. It was in the 60s in SoCal today...

John
turaboy is offline Find More Posts by turaboy
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:18 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
The packs weren't warm but were not cold. Just not the "pop" I usually get from them. If its around 30 degrees or so they all fly
half decent but not like when its warmer. I only fly a few of my fleet in winter because I don't like getting snow on the electrics.

Dave...
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:58 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,262 Posts
Don't be complaining about the cold, We had a 42 C! 107 F day on staurday. The wind was gale force in the afternoon.
All I could do was sit in the water at the lake and drink beer!

down south our ski fields have been evacuated due to bushfires! If it wasn't so serious it would be funny. Canberra (the capital of oz) just lost 400 (yes that many) homes to bush fires.
This has nothing to do with foamies but the ambient being 42 C can't be good for batteries pumping out many amps.

cheers
Paul, and it's going to be 38 tommorow!
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Jan 20, 2003, 08:40 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Yea, I'd rather have 0F than 100F almost any day. I seem to warm up easier than I cool down.

Not sure which my planes like better. Last summer I went out when it was wicked hot and I swear that being up in the air and direct sunlight for 10+ minutes started baking the foam wings. Since bluecor doesn't get brittle I guess it is better off in extream cold than heat.

The plasti-foam bags that small electronics (like phones) come wrapped in makes a really great heat containment material. I know because if you run with them wrapped around even a 2amp ESC in the summer, it melts and also causes a warp in the shrinkwrap (when it doesn't fry completely that is).
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Jan 20, 2003, 09:06 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
BRRRR!!!!

Just reading what you guys say makes me cold....normal temp here in summer is 90 deg.F +....we even use little fans to cool our battery packs off....for cajuns ,anything below 70 deg. is FREEZING.....BRRRRR!!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 20, 2003, 09:31 AM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
Me too, every time i've flown lately the weather has been in the teens, and i've not had any real success with battery performance.
cathode is offline Find More Posts by cathode
Old Jan 20, 2003, 09:41 AM
Kou
Andover,MA.,USA
Joined Aug 2001
736 Posts
Flying on ice

I flew my Tipsy yesterday on the pond behind my house. Stock set up with 720 AAA Sanyo. Temperature was around 0F, no wind and I had 4 great flight lasting about 20 minute each. No 3D flying but just flying around. The Tipsy has all form around the battery and that probably help with keeping the battery warm.

MK
Kou is offline Find More Posts by Kou
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:53 AM
Brockport, NY
Joined Jul 2001
184 Posts
Had the E-Plane out in the snow yesterday, 15-ish degree temps, winds gusting to 20mph. Sealed the battery compartment off and got some really decent flight times. Had to duck into the car and warm my hands between flights.

Last year, when my Zagi still had a tray I would wrap the batteries in that thin foam sheeting that's used to pack glass-ware. The heat generated from normal flying would keep the battery quite toasty. Now that I'm trayless, it's alot harder to keep the packs warm. Flying with the battery almost completely exposed in anything < 30 degrees really shortens the flight time.

Such is life in the northeast.
MikeScag is offline Find More Posts by MikeScag