SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by quigley257, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 20, 2008, 08:12 PM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
Build Log
Quickie 500 gone electric

This is a build of a Quickie 500 model that I got from fanfoldfan here on the groups. It is a short kit with laser cut ribs. I built it as light as I could because I will be making it E-power. I will add more details when time permits.

--quigley
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2008, 09:23 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Looks good! Should be a fun flyer on e-power!
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Jun 09, 2008, 12:12 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Q500 received!

Got the Q500 from quigley this weekend and I got things started right away... .

First on the agenda was to find the right prop for the Turnigy motor. This smaller motor was chosen based on our efforts to keep the overall weight low, while providing enough power for spirited performance. Time will tell whether we have met our goal.

I tried a 12"x6" APC-e but it was pulling about 41A on a fresh pack. A lot of people are using this prop with this motor (according to the reviews on hobbycity.com) but I'm going to start out a bit more conservative. The 11"x5.5" APC-e got the amp draw down to about 33A, and 377W according to my wattmeter (see pics). Next up will be to test with a 10"x7" or maybe even a 10"x8" prop to pick up some speed down the road.

Wing was well-constructed and I epoxied the halves together, 'glassed the wing root joint with fiberglass and thin CA, and covered to match the rest of the wing.

Obligatory bench fly pics included...

For reference for the construction of its evil twin, weights are as follows:

R Wing: 6.5oz
L Wing: 6.6oz
Fuselage (bare): 9.6oz
Fuselage (with motor/ESC/prop): 16.4oz
H-stab: 1.4oz
V-stab: 0.6oz
Landing gear w/wheels: 2.5oz
Canopy: 0.2oz
Tenergy 2200mah 3S 25C lipo: 6.9oz

Total of unassembled components: 41.1oz

How does that compare with a stock Q500 estimated RTF weight?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Say when.....
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
Here are a few of the modifications I made from the stock Spickler Quickie-500 build.

Wing- I used 1/16" sheeting for the leading and trailing edges and cap strips instead of the 3/32" stock sheeting. Wing tips were left squared off for simplicity. I stayed with the stock 1/16" shear webbing at the spars and trailing edge. I used a few less ribs compared to the stock build. One full size servo was used in each wing for aileron control.

Tail surfaces- I made the tail surfaces slightly larger in area than the stock tail. They are built up using 1/4" thick sticks instead of solid sheet in the stock configuration. The elevator and rudder are lightweight solid stock.

Fuselage- The stock build called for heavy 3/16" sides with 1/8" top and bottom sheeting and AC grade plywood firewall and formers. I used 1/8" balsa sheet for the sides with a 1/8" doubler at the wing saddle. Full length 1/4" balsa triangle stock was used on the top and bottom of the fuse to allow for sanding a nice radius on the fuse edges. All formers were made from 1/8" light plywood. Top and bottom sheeting was done with cross-grain 1/16" balsa. The width of the fuse was made 3/4" narrower than stock and just slightly shorter. A simple profile canopy was made from 1/4" sheet stock. The landing gear was bent from 1/8" music wire. I used 2-1/4" main wheels in conjunction with a wire tail skid. Two full size servos were used for the elevator and rudder.

All up ready to fly weight of 41.1 ounces/2.57 pounds on 377 watts ought to give decent performance. I will be building a second one which I hope to make even lighter. Original Q-500 rules had a minimum weight of 3.5lbs.

--quigley
Last edited by quigley257; Jun 10, 2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:26 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Got the Q500 finished today...turns out my concerns for balance were well-founded. With the Turnigy 3536-1100 motor and the pack all the way forward, it was still balancing more than an inch behind the recommended CG point.

Luckily, I had a bigger Turnigy motor sitting homeless on my workbench, so the added 2.5oz going from the 3536 to the 3548 will only make it faster I've got it propped pretty mildly right now with a 12"x6" (~500W) but the motor is good for 700-750W easy...it didn't even get warm on the 12x6 while bench testing on 3S. Some people are running this motor on 4S with an 11"x5.5" prop for 750W... I'm running a CC Thunderbird 54 on this one so I'm limited to 3S. I'll probably try the 13"x6.5" on it tomorrow...need to check prop clearance first.

I was not planning on running a spinner on this setup, but then again...Hey, free weight! Looks pretty cool too...

Still ended up having to add 1.5oz of lead (which I hated to do) but not many other options. I guess I could fly it tail-heavy...

Built a battery mounting tray to secure the battery and it's now ready to fly! Unfortunately, the forecast is for high winds for the next few days...
Last edited by cynjon; Jun 11, 2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:17 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Folks
Neat conversion - there were a few 'Quiet 500' racers around back in the days of BRJ (Big Round Jugs) but nothing seen of late. I've done a few designs around that sort of size, but never electrocuted a 'real' Q500.

A bit after the fact, but if you ever have an urge to do another - most 'sports' glow models become a bit short on nose moment when electrocuted. This is no sweat for flying purposes, but does become a pain that, as you've discovered, requires dead weight. Typically, I'd stretch the nose by a couple of inches, make it the same shape, keep the thrustline, strip out all the aft end weight (which this one already has - good stuff here) and the Hitec HS225 is now the biggest servo I use anywhere.

If I get it right (yeah, like I do, every time ) the ideal is to sit the battery atop the CG, so I can use whatever size/shape/model of the correct cell count and capacity is handy. This actually dates back to BRJs, when the aim was to put the pack centrally over the CG - when you move a 34oz 16 jug pack in a 5lb model, the CG really pays attention... Now, you buy the latest LiPo, it could well be a different shape to the one you bought last week.

Love the upsized motor cynjon - there's no point in flying a racer that ain't blazing fast

Regards
Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:41 PM
Say when.....
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
Thanks for the info Dereck. I had thought about stretching the nose on this one but for some reason I didn't... I will definitely do that on the one that I am going to build for myself. I PMd my brother to tell him that I did not build it to be an all out racer, although it should be stout enough to handle some significant speed. I was aiming more for a casual sport flyer. The next one I build will be more of an easy going sport aerobatic bird. I plan on making larger control surfaces to improve the aerobatic qualities of it (and lengthening the nose moment ). They are so simple to build using the laser cut ribs that came with the short kit. And a note on the servos... I am making the transition from glow to electric and I have a small army of the old Futaba standby S148 servos at my disposal, so that is what I used, but I am a big fan of the 225s.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:11 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Everything is ready to go now, just waiting on the weather to cooperate. When I left the house for work this morning, it was dead calm--tempted to play hooky today. However, it didn't take long for the winds to pick up and it looks like we may have more weather moving in. Keeping my fingers crossed for this weekend...

Final AUW ended up being 48oz exactly...3 pounds. Not too bad, all in all, but the next one could probably be 4-5oz lighter if the nose is lengthened and the lighter motor is used. I'll try to get pics of the maiden but chances are I'll be flying alone so we'll see.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:48 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
quigley, here's the pics you asked for...
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:54 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Maidened the Quickee today...it flew very well when kept at half throttle or less, but when I gave full throttle, it really wanted to climb dramatically--to the point where almost full down elevator was almost not enough. I'm going to put my incidence meter on the wing tomorrow and check the thrust angle of the motor. It may be as simple as shimming the motor down a couple degrees...more to come.

No video, as I had my hands full with the flight. Did some rolls, snaps and loops...nothing fancy. Greased the landing to boot--even in the tallish grass it didn't even nose over. Maidened two other planes successfully tonight as well (3DHS 47" Yak and Hyperion Sniper) so a fun evening of flying all in all.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:22 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Here's what I found when I put the incidence meter on the Q500: Firewall has what I would consider to be a normal amount of downthrust angle built in...about 1 to 1.5 degrees (see pic). So nothing out of the ordinary.

What I ended up doing was changing the prop from a 12"x6" to an 11"x8". This should give a bit less thrust but a bit more speed (and it was pretty quick already!). I also shimmed the motor down about another degree or so with some fiber washers that I had laying around. I'll fly it again when the weather cooperates.

When you get the other one built, especially if you lengthen the fuselage so it balances with the smaller motor, it should still have PLENTY of power to fly the Q500 well.

I attached a pic of the Sniper as well--I ditched the stock wheels/wheelpants because they were really cheezy and would have been useful for a paved flying field only, IMO. I flew 4 batteries through the Sniper yesterday and a buddy of mine did some hovering/3D with it...time for me to get practicing I guess...
Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:12 PM
Say when.....
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
I'm guessing adding more down thrust should help with the ballooning. How does it handle otherwise? Is the roll rate decent? Is there enough rudder to snap roll well? How did the CG work that I had marked? I'm guessing you can come back on the CG a little bit further than I had marked originally to make it more responsive. What kind of run time on the 2200s? I'll be heading over to Bud Nosen's sometime this week to pick up the spar material and some other odds and ends so I can get started on the second one. Glad to hear the maidens all went well!! I'm looking forward to coming down and abusing ALL of your planes ...

--quigley
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:24 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Yep, roll rate was good...it snaps pretty well also. I didn't do any dives to check CG mainly because the thrust issue made elevator trim difficult to nail down.

I'd say I flew for about 5 minutes tops, but I didn't check to see how much went back into the battery. That's the only thing that would tell the whole story. I figured I'd better get it on the ground and get the bugs worked out--landing approach was nice and solid, just a bit of power to keep above stall speed and a nice easy flare for landing--the gear is forward enough that it didn't even think about tipping forward, even in the grass.

Dead calm here tonight but no one to fly with...so I flew the EZ Glider and Sniper in the yard for an hour or so tonight.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 01:04 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Here's a video from today's flying...Brandon at the sticks for this flight while I shot the video.

Q500 (1 min 58 sec)