HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2003, 04:08 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,607 Posts
Hot wire foam cutter power supply - Electrician needed!!!

I just built up an inexpensive power supply for my hot wire cutter using the plans here:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...amcutterps.htm

It works great, my question is I want to install a volt meter like I saw someone else do so I can get a more consistant output.

How do I hook up the 2 wires from the volt meter? Do I run each one of the wires on the volt meter to each of the wires on the output to the bow? ("across the two output wires). You don't put it "in line" do you? It also came with a resistor to go on one of the wires on the volt meter... does it matter which one?

Any help would be appreciated!

CJS

imoutbound@yahoo.com
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2003, 02:01 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
Quote:
Do I run each one of the wires on the volt meter to each of the wires on the output to the bow? ("across the two output wires).
Yes. For most applications you would just install it at the binding posts on your supply. For VERY accurate voltage readings, you would run low gauge wires from the meter to where the heating element attaches to the supply's cable (this is called remote sensing).

I'm not a foam cutting sort of fellow, but I have a feeling that the heating current would offer more meaningful data. That would require an ammeter placed in series with one of the supply wires.

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Jan 19, 2003, 02:26 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,607 Posts
Meter install

Mr RC CAM,

Thanks!

Also Paul F. got back to me with this:

The volt meter needs to read DC current so what you need to do is on one of the yellow wires it goes out to the bow and splice out to one end of the voltmeter. On the other yellow wire you have to follow this order:

Hot wire bow, an IN 4001 Rectifier ( a $.59 diode at
Radio Shack ) then the resistor that came with the
Volt Meter, then into the Volt Meter.

Thanks Paul!
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Jan 19, 2003, 02:53 PM
Joined Jul 2002
53 Posts
Hey, cactusjack, I am building the same power supply but I know very little about this. I am confused on the wires of the transformer. Could you draw me the diagram with the colors of the wires or just tell me which colored wires go with what? I have 2 black wires which I guess is the output then on the other side there are 2 yellow wires and one black? What goes where? Thanks
pooorboy is offline Find More Posts by pooorboy