HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2010, 05:00 AM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8 View Post
The Turnigy 35-36C gives exactly the same top speed as the Power 10 and ST .10. I've flown them all and there isn't an oz of difference in top end. Well, there is actually a couple "ounces" of difference, which is probably why the top speeds are all identical--the heavier motors have to pull their own increased drag, plus the T-28 is shaped like a tree stump.

Vertical is basically the same with all three engines too, as a few ounces heavier motor gives a few ounces more thrust--no noticeable difference pointed skyward.

I expected the Turnigy and the ST to be the same, but I'm a little disappointed the Power 10 wasn't faster for the money. I was hoping to tackle 90mph with some spped mods, but it doesn't even go 2 mph faster. I'm stuck around 80mph, no change from the ST motor.

Complete results here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224971
I wasn't really looking for "speed" with the upgrade to the 36-36 motor. I just wanted to be able to have fun a little more and also be able to get some higher altitude capabilities.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2010, 07:19 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I wasn't really looking for "speed" with the upgrade to the 36-36 motor. I just wanted to be able to have fun a little more and also be able to get some higher altitude capabilities.
You want high altitude capability? The gold 35-36C -- 1100 KV will allow you to climb vertically with the biggest challenge keeping the plane on course if you didn't move the battery back to keep a good CG. The black SK 35-36C 1400KV just does it faster with higher consumption rate (30 seconds less flight time). I have had both and fly now with the SK 35-36C. It's a hoot chasing the nitro guys and climbing straight vertical with them as well. I mounted mine using the Turnigy 4 poster and special washer. I like the mount because it puts the rotational mass of the motor behind the mount and the prop in front. It's just a better way to mount a spinning motor. Props used are 10x5 or 10x7 APC E. The gold motor, with lower KV, like the 11x7 APC E prop.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2010, 11:14 AM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
575 Posts
Welcome back Z-8.

I liked your comparison of the three motors. Took me a minute to figure out teh big red X on the Power 10....meaning it fits right on and no adaptor needed. You might could mentino that on the picture in the future.

Great write-up though.

Thanks

Ken
Quote:
The Turnigy 35-36C gives exactly the same top speed as the Power 10 and ST .10. I've flown them all and there isn't an oz of difference in top end. Well, there is actually a couple "ounces" of difference, which is probably why the top speeds are all identical--the heavier motors have to pull their own increased drag, plus the T-28 is shaped like a tree stump.

Vertical is basically the same with all three engines too, as a few ounces heavier motor gives a few ounces more thrust--no noticeable difference pointed skyward.

I expected the Turnigy and the ST to be the same, but I'm a little disappointed the Power 10 wasn't faster for the money. I was hoping to tackle 90mph with some spped mods, but it doesn't even go 2 mph faster. I'm stuck around 80mph, no change from the ST motor.

Complete results here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224971
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Old Apr 09, 2010, 11:38 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:

I basically have to agree with nothing here. I have both, ran both, and the little ST .10 wonder motor is not all you say it is. No charts and graphs, just a watts up meter a plane and a Tx. The St10 runs out of verticle pretty quick with a 10x7(considering the higher kv, it should be able to handle it better with the smaller prop). If you put on a 11x7e you'll pull to many amps and smoke the little motor. Maybe I'll try it this weekend before I pull the motor off on 1 quick try. Of course I'll have a camera on facing the rear. Then the st10 will become a nice 250w motor with a 9" prop on my MUS.

I'm sure you read my review, interesting how others with this motor all seem to see the same thing and not the results you see.

Like Capt Ron, I like the 35-36c for the power it adds to verticals, it makes it go a little faster on the level but it is a T-28 after all. Fast verticles are fun to fly and watch.

The little ST .10 is a decent motor, good for a stock replacement, keep it propped near stock, keep the amps at stated 29-30.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Apr 09, 2010, 11:51 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
I thought we were done with the "imagination machine"?? I've seen and flown all but the ST. 10 motor and Z-8's "results" are rubbish.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Apr 09, 2010, 01:51 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
I run the park 480 in mine with fp 3s 3300mah batt ,11/10 prop. can't count the number of flights i've had on it. Just goes and goes no matter what i do and when i fly it i really don't care if it lights on fire. Love this little plane for practice stuff.
What is the KV of your Park 480 motor? Thats what I was thinking of putting on my T-28. Is it a bit faster? I would think so. The Park 480 is rated as a 275watt motor.

Thanks,
CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Apr 09, 2010, 01:54 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
What is the KV of your Park 480 motor? Thats what I was thinking of putting on my T-28. Is it a bit faster? I would think so. The Park 480 is rated as a 275watt motor.

Thanks,
CTD
1020kv...

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1505
Old Apr 09, 2010, 01:56 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
I basically have to agree with nothing here. I have both, ran both, and the little ST .10 wonder motor is not all you say it is. No charts and graphs, just a watts up meter a plane and a Tx. The St10 runs out of verticle pretty quick with a 10x7(considering the higher kv, it should be able to handle it better with the smaller prop). If you put on a 11x7e you'll pull to many amps and smoke the little motor. Maybe I'll try it this weekend before I pull the motor off on 1 quick try. Of course I'll have a camera on facing the rear. Then the st10 will become a nice 250w motor with a 9" prop on my MUS.

I'm sure you read my review, interesting how others with this motor all seem to see the same thing and not the results you see.

Like Capt Ron, I like the 35-36c for the power it adds to verticals, it makes it go a little faster on the level but it is a T-28 after all. Fast verticles are fun to fly and watch.

The little ST .10 is a decent motor, good for a stock replacement, keep it propped near stock, keep the amps at stated 29-30.
Your pictures looked like you have a 10x10 on the ST. Don't expect to go vertical with that prop on any of these dogs.

The ST 10 definitely has the best vertical of the three motors with an 11x7, but only slightly and the difference is mostly evident above several hundred feet altitude. The lightness makes it easier to keep the nose on top of the plane until you lose sight (or the link, which happened to me today running the ST in the Pitts).

Because of its low motor thrust to weight in the T-28...

Turnigy - 8.3
Power 10 - 10.3
Super Tigre - 18.2

...along with its strange, heavy installation, the Turnigy is not well suited to an aircraft the size of the T-28. It's aircraft T:W was the lowest of the three. Mine also has a loud resonance problem around 50% throttle, same as a lot of people, unfortunately, so I really would need to add a lot more weight that isn't there now in the form of a solid metal mount. I won't be keeping it, though.

The Turnigy is also the only engine that ran unsafely with a high performance battery, so even these numbers, without the metal mount, aren't quite real.

As always, all of my findings are video-documented (critics seem to have lost all their videos showing actual installed thrust readings).
Z-8 is offline Find More Posts by Z-8
Old Apr 09, 2010, 02:26 PM
Ya know!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Dec 2007
241 Posts
What are you all doing with the wobbly wheels on the struts? The Habu came with nice spacers to prevent the wheel from pressing against vertical wire. Just pushing the T-28 on the floor one wheel will nearly lock?
AzHeliCrasher is offline Find More Posts by AzHeliCrasher
Old Apr 09, 2010, 02:33 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeliCrasher View Post
What are you all doing with the wobbly wheels on the struts? The Habu came with nice spacers to prevent the wheel from pressing against vertical wire. Just pushing the T-28 on the floor one wheel will nearly lock?
The gear and wheels are pretty bad, but not as bad as the alternatives I've tried.
Z-8 is offline Find More Posts by Z-8
Old Apr 09, 2010, 02:57 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeliCrasher View Post
solder a small washer to the wire to keep it away from the vert piece. I posted a pic some pages back. I run a little larger and thinner wheel.
Old Apr 09, 2010, 03:08 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
755 Posts
100mph T-28

Wasn't looking to run the T-28 to 100mph but it happens. I was all set to make another Mustang run but had a bad landing. I throw the 4S 2200mah battery in my Power 10 Trojan and here's what Eagle Tree say's.

Note: The 103 mph is from a dive.
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Apr 09, 2010, 03:11 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
You want high altitude capability? The gold 35-36C -- 1100 KV will allow you to climb vertically with the biggest challenge keeping the plane on course if you didn't move the battery back to keep a good CG. The black SK 35-36C 1400KV just does it faster with higher consumption rate (30 seconds less flight time). I have had both and fly now with the SK 35-36C. It's a hoot chasing the nitro guys and climbing straight vertical with them as well. I mounted mine using the Turnigy 4 poster and special washer. I like the mount because it puts the rotational mass of the motor behind the mount and the prop in front. It's just a better way to mount a spinning motor. Props used are 10x5 or 10x7 APC E. The gold motor, with lower KV, like the 11x7 APC E prop.
I am using the gold 35-36c motor with an APC 11x7E prop and a hobbywing 40a ESC and a Turnigy 3s 2200mah 30c lipo. I absolutely love it so far. I had a lot of compliments and some inquiries from some folks at my local airfield. I didn't move the battery back but it seemed to do ok staying straight up on the verticals with only a few elevator adjustments.

In case anyone was wondering I have the 40a ESC in the stock location and I put my finger on it after each flight and it was only slightly warm.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Apr 09, 2010, 03:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Your pictures looked like you have a 10x10 on the ST. Don't expect to go vertical with that prop on any of these dogs.
I clearly stated a 10x7e.
diez por siete
zehn von sieben
قبل سبعة عشر
10七
δέκα από επτά
7時10
dix par sept
десять на сім
tien bij zeven
десять на семь
kumi na saba
עשר שבע

Hmmm, reading is easy, understanding what you read is getting out there, actually comprehending what you read is....

This motor is not what you say it is.(period) and now you are saying the gold 35-36c is poor. Many here run that motor, they might have believed what you said before, but with that statement you just lost...well I 'm sure they will tell you.
Old Apr 09, 2010, 03:14 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
2,001 Posts
Quote:
Because of its low motor thrust to weight in the T-28...

Turnigy - 8.3
Power 10 - 10.3
Super Tigre - 18.2
Interesting how statistics can be made to show different things....

But unless you are flying the motors without the plane, the thrust to weight ratios should be calculated using the full flying weight of the plane, not just the motor weights (which is what I assume you have done given your numbers). The motor weight difference will then be far less significant.

I'd be really interested to see the thrust to gross weight numbers if you have them. Thanks.

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers