HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:53 PM
I don't need no stink'n nitro!
Thompsons Stn, TN
Joined Nov 2008
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
I picked up a couple 9x9,10x10 and 12x12 props a while back to try but, my T28s are far from stock. My "go to" T28 is running a 12x8 MA E-only prop.

One is 900w 3S and the other is 1200+w 4S. They still will fly low and slow like a stocker but, open them up and it's all bets off

Really would like to get a PZ P-51 to try and beat the 136mph record but, I have to many other projects I want too.
1200 watts in a <3 pound plane!!!

Now I understand where "Buzzkill" comes from...

How do you like the MA prop? I just balanced two for my Trojan, but I haven't flown them yet... Static tests look good, even if I'm ONLY running 350 watts.
moonpock is offline Find More Posts by moonpock
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:27 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
F2F,

That's what i like... simple!

Thanx for the reply,

Ted

edit - I should have quoted your post. This was in regards to using poly to coat over colored tape. Sorry for any confusion.
Simple, no confusion, gothcha
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The family continues to grow
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:09 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpock View Post
1200 watts in a <3 pound plane!!!

Now I understand where "Buzzkill" comes from...

How do you like the MA prop? I just balanced two for my Trojan, but I haven't flown them yet... Static tests look good, even if I'm ONLY running 350 watts.
Yup! 1200+ in a T28. It's a rocket and quite a "Buzz" to fly! The "Buzzkill" comes from the inevitable crashes I have from time to time

12x8 MA is a great prop IMO. I like the black and shape on this type of plane better than the APC's and the sound is great in the air. The 12x8 works perfectly fine even with the gear on (if your landings are good) and it really gives unlimited vertical truly "unlimited" if you have a good motor.

My 1200+w setup is a 4S 2200mAh Hyperion VX pack with a Hyperion HS3026-1400Kv. Hyper overkill but, it is so much fun. I got the 9x9 and 10x10 APC props to try and keep the amps below 100a and add some pitch speed.

The other T28 has a Hyperion Zs3020-08 (900w) and I've never seen a faster T28 on a 3S anywhere. Motor Costs less than the stock plastic motor too. More than a Turnigy or Super Tiger but, you just can't compare it to these motors.

If the weather holds I'm going to try them tomorrow or Sunday. After a week of 60 degree weather, wouldn't you know it it's supposed to snow here

EDIT: Hyperion motors are the only motors I have personally used that will take abuse like that and keep going without a hiccup.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:13 PM
Round Lake, IL
Joined Oct 2007
415 Posts
Has anyone used this motor with a 40 amp speed controller on this a/c?? I think it is almost the same motor as the Turnigy 35-36 motor from hobbycity.

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...29&item_id=150
handyflyer is offline Find More Posts by handyflyer
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by handyflyer View Post
Has anyone used this motor with a 40 amp speed controller on this a/c?? I think it is almost the same motor as the Turnigy 35-36 motor from hobbycity.

Check and see if maybe Dr Kiwi has tested it. He has a large database of tested motors, and you may find his test results to be helpful in making a decision.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thompsons Stn, TN
Joined Nov 2008
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by handyflyer View Post

That looks very similar to the BP2814-08 that I'm running, only I'm getting 1100kv.

I went with a Suppo type motor because they have the shaft exiting the motor opposite the firewall mount, rather than through it, and I can use a standard prop adapter that fits through the cowling without modification. Just something you might want to think about...
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:34 PM
Thompsons Stn, TN
Joined Nov 2008
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
If the weather holds I'm going to try them tomorrow or Sunday. After a week of 60 degree weather, wouldn't you know it it's supposed to snow here

EDIT: Hyperion motors are the only motors I have personally used that will take abuse like that and keep going without a hiccup.
I feel you're pain. Around here, we have a saying... "What follows two days of wind and rain?" MONDAY!

Ditto on the Hyperion motors... There's none built better! Good planes, too, from what I've seen.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:09 PM
We can still hand launch it !!
Hampstead, NC
Joined Mar 2009
56 Posts
Spektrum DX6i has 9 marks to the left of the throttle stick.
when the stick is at idle you are on the 2nd mark
When the stick is all the way forward you are on the 8th mark

When I increase throttle slowly My motor accelerates smoothly but obtains WOT at the 7th mark (instead of the 8th one)

From what I have read on other posts there is no way to MIX the throttle to solve this problem.

Does anyone know how to fix it or is it just a live with
Thanks
CaptJoey
captjoey42 is offline Find More Posts by captjoey42
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captjoey42 View Post
Spektrum DX6i has 9 marks to the left of the throttle stick.
when the stick is at idle you are on the 2nd mark
When the stick is all the way forward you are on the 8th mark

When I increase throttle slowly My motor accelerates smoothly but obtains WOT at the 7th mark (instead of the 8th one)

From what I have read on other posts there is no way to MIX the throttle to solve this problem.

Does anyone know how to fix it or is it just a live with
Thanks
CaptJoey
Have you tried the throttle trim button yet?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:40 PM
Hampstead, NC
Joined Mar 2009
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Have you tried the throttle trim button yet?
it seems to effect the idle much more than WOT
full down trim I can move the stick to the 2nd mark before the prop turns but the WOT position stays about the same.

If i start to add trim with the stick at full idle the prop starts to turn at half way between center trim and full up trim

I usually just keep the trim in the canter
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
it seems to effect the idle much more than WOT
full down trim I can move the stick to the 2nd mark before the prop turns but the WOT position stays about the same.

If i start to add trim with the stick at full idle the prop starts to turn at half way between center trim and full up trim

I usually just keep the trim in the canter
You know.... now that you mention this, I'm not so sure any of my planes have as their WOT, the very last notch on the throttle stick. It seems to me the last few notches (or clicks) don't do anything.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hampstead, NC
Joined Mar 2009
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
You know.... now that you mention this, I'm not so sure any of my planes have as their WOT, the very last notch on the throttle stick. It seems to me the last few notches (or clicks) don't do anything.
Well I am sort of new to this so It may just be a "live with"
Old Mar 20, 2010, 05:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Well I am sort of new to this so It may just be a "live with"
Let's put it this way. If my motor reached maximum rpm on the very last notch, I'd be saying to myself.... "Hmmmm, I wonder if it's really maxed out?" Then that would drive me nuts.... lol

I have the DX6, and the DX7, and I really don't think it's a matter of having to 'live with it'. I think it's just the way the throttle controls work on our planes.

I also use Castle Creations ESC's which auto detect the maximum throttle stick position, and all my planes still reach WOT a click or two below the last click.

Chuck
Old Mar 20, 2010, 05:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hmmmm, I just thought of something else. There's a way to take the throttle stick and convert it to a 'click-less' affair like the kind used by Helicopter pilots. This affords them the finer and more precise way of making minute changes to their throttle position...so that just leads me to think that our ratcheted sticks are working properly after all.

Chuck
Old Mar 20, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hampstead, NC
Joined Mar 2009
56 Posts
Thanks Chuck !!!
I will learn to like it the way it is and forget about changing it
untill now I have been flying pretty much by just taking off at full power and then pulling it back a bit and just flying around but I am now learning how to manage my power a bit better. That's why it took me until now to figure out how it worked. The T28 is so great though you can be really sloppy with the power and it flys fine (very forgiving).
What a great plane !!!
Last edited by captjoey42; Mar 20, 2010 at 09:31 PM.