HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:27 AM
Gravity gets me down.
helicow's Avatar
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
Crud, another huge thread.

I am looking at buying a used T-28 and was searching for mods and whatever makes it fly better. I will be using my DX6i to controll it. I see flaps are a popular option so I guess I have to dig through here to see what I need to do that.
I also heard there are nose gear issues? Is there? I would like to address all this before I try and fly it.
I have only been flying planes for a week (helis for a couple years) and am hooked with my J-3 Cub! I want something larger and faster and something with ailerons.

Thanks in advance for any input everyone.
This helped me: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9305
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:31 AM
Registered User
cgage's Avatar
Tennessee
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
I had quit flying my t28 because when it got more than 75 feet away from me, it would go in all different directions out of my control. Thought it was a bad ar500 receiver. The dealer tech did a range check which it passed. The tech asked me if I turned the antenna on the Dx6i or kept it straight. I had been using it with the antenna straight and pointed at the plane. I'm going to do a test flight as soon as the weather clears. Does the antenna angle sound like the problem? I hope so because the last two flights it 1. headed for the parking lot full of cars. 2. headed for the horizon with 15 minutes of battery time.

Before it got to the parking lot it came over near me and i reacquired control and landed it. When it took off for parts unknown, it nosed down into some tall grass about 1/2 mile away.
Just to be sure, I'm also going to replace the receiver with a new ar500.
Comments?
cgage is offline Find More Posts by cgage
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:29 AM
3D Wanna Be
sk8rob's Avatar
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage View Post
I had quit flying my t28 because when it got more than 75 feet away from me, it would go in all different directions out of my control. Thought it was a bad ar500 receiver. The dealer tech did a range check which it passed. The tech asked me if I turned the antenna on the Dx6i or kept it straight. I had been using it with the antenna straight and pointed at the plane. I'm going to do a test flight as soon as the weather clears. Does the antenna angle sound like the problem? I hope so because the last two flights it 1. headed for the parking lot full of cars. 2. headed for the horizon with 15 minutes of battery time.

Before it got to the parking lot it came over near me and i reacquired control and landed it. When it took off for parts unknown, it nosed down into some tall grass about 1/2 mile away.
Just to be sure, I'm also going to replace the receiver with a new ar500.
Comments?
I used to fly with my antenna pointed straight all the time until someone told me to bend it. I never had any problems. I did have a few brownouts, but I think they were due to low voltage. On another thread I read about turning off your tx between battery changes, and to make sure the light on the rx is not blinking, it should be solid.
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:38 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
jswain's Avatar
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,200 Posts
Comments and my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage View Post
I had quit flying my t28 because when it got more than 75 feet away from me, it would go in all different directions out of my control. Thought it was a bad ar500 receiver. The dealer tech did a range check which it passed. The tech asked me if I turned the antenna on the Dx6i or kept it straight. I had been using it with the antenna straight and pointed at the plane. I'm going to do a test flight as soon as the weather clears. Does the antenna angle sound like the problem? I hope so because the last two flights it 1. headed for the parking lot full of cars. 2. headed for the horizon with 15 minutes of battery time.

Before it got to the parking lot it came over near me and i reacquired control and landed it. When it took off for parts unknown, it nosed down into some tall grass about 1/2 mile away.
Just to be sure, I'm also going to replace the receiver with a new ar500.
Comments?
Sorry to hear about the problems.

I think you are correct on the replacing the receiver if the range check test passed and you regained control as the model passed closer by in flight.

Think of the Transmitter *antenna's* transmission waves like a hat or donut or halo. The least amount of transmitter radiation is straight off the end or top of the antenna. The most or maximum radiation is like the donut or halo radiating from the sides of the antenna - as if an invisible donut of radiation was coming off the *sides* of the antenna pole.

Bottom line- angle the antenna to keep the antenna in a more verticle position to the ground and the receiver will do the rest. Pointing at model is the least effective radiation pattern - it works but not as well more verticle.

Please make sure you are
1) using fully charged transmitter batteries(alkaline cells)
2) the long Ar500 antenna is sticking up and away from fuse ( i have mine going through a 1/16" hole in the fuse next to the canopy sticking up like a regular car antenna).
3)The t-28 receiver is ok in the stock fuse position and nothing can be done about the short antenna other than not bend it at a sharp angle, the long one i want as far away from the electronics as reasonable so it goes up and out.
4)gently pull out and firmly push back in *all* your servo connectors and extensions.
5) if you can get a 5v LED battery monitor(@ 15$) stick that in a spare
servo RX connector to make sure your ESC is delivering full power. The RX will work down to about 3.9v's but that is not a good thing.

Good luck and keep with it, the T28 is a really cool model and i have enjoyed mine a lot. I think you may have a bum RX but that is hard to know until you put in another one to confirm the idea.

john s.
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:39 AM
Registered User
Toppers's Avatar
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage View Post
I had quit flying my t28 because when it got more than 75 feet away from me, it would go in all different directions out of my control. Thought it was a bad ar500 receiver. The dealer tech did a range check which it passed. The tech asked me if I turned the antenna on the Dx6i or kept it straight. I had been using it with the antenna straight and pointed at the plane. I'm going to do a test flight as soon as the weather clears. Does the antenna angle sound like the problem? I hope so because the last two flights it 1. headed for the parking lot full of cars. 2. headed for the horizon with 15 minutes of battery time.

Before it got to the parking lot it came over near me and i reacquired control and landed it. When it took off for parts unknown, it nosed down into some tall grass about 1/2 mile away.
Just to be sure, I'm also going to replace the receiver with a new ar500.
Comments?
Definately keep the antenna at 90 degrees to the plane (radio strength go out in an apple pattern, with the antenna being the apple core). So pointing the antenna directlt at the plane is the worst power-wise.

Also ensure the two AR500 aerials are far apart and at 90 degrees to each other for maximum coverage.

I can't see why you'd have problems (but still quite surprised you did in the first place). My AR500's work fine WAY out.

Best of Luck

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:45 AM
Registered User
Toppers's Avatar
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
2) the long Ar500 antenna is sticking up and away from fuse ( i have mine going through a 1/16" hole in the fuse next to the canopy sticking up like a regular car antenna).
Hi John,

FWIW - Foam is completely invisable to radio waves. I don't think having the aerial stick out would be beneficial. JMHO.

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:33 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
I had a similar problem when I bought a used Dx6i. I finally opened up the TX and discovered that the antenna wire had come lose. One I plugged it back in I had full range again.
Belem is online now Find More Posts by Belem
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:21 PM
Registered User
Toppers's Avatar
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
I had a similar problem when I bought a used Dx6i. I finally opened up the TX and discovered that the antenna wire had come lose. One I plugged it back in I had full range again.
I was wondering that too.
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:23 PM
Registered User
cgage's Avatar
Tennessee
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
Be sure to secure the canopy with more magnets or tape. The stock magnets alone are not enough. Canopy loss will result in a crash.
I've considered taping the wing on because I've torn out the wing mounting hardware so many times. I'm not sure this is a great idea and it also tears off paint. But the hardware is anchored in soft foam and it tears away easily.
My only problem with the t28 is that Ive been flying planes (formerly helis) only six months and the 28 is a little fast for me. I prefer the Supercub. Its indestructable.
cgage is offline Find More Posts by cgage
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:29 PM
We can still hand launch it !!
captjoey42's Avatar
Hampstead, NC
Joined Mar 2009
56 Posts
I have never painted a model before and have been experimenting on an old T28 wing that I have. I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan and plan to paint my plane in some combination of black and yellow and then put on some Steelers Stickers. To make the line between the yelloow and black should I use tape or a brush. I painted the yellow first and then used masking tape but it pulled off the yellow from the wing when I removed the tape. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I'm using KRYLON spray paint
CaptJoey
captjoey42 is offline Find More Posts by captjoey42
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:32 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage View Post
Be sure to secure the canopy with more magnets or tape. The stock magnets alone are not enough. Canopy loss will result in a crash.
I disagree, I've lost the canopy may times and never crashed. Once I kept flying because I had the battery strapped in. It looks funny for sure.

Worse thing about losing a canopy is fetching it! And hopefully a spotter goes and gets it.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:35 PM
Registered User
cgage's Avatar
Tennessee
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
I was looking on Hobby Zone's website at pictures of the T28. MAny of them had long antennae hanging out the back like the Supercub has one threaded through the rudder. Anyone know about this?
cgage is offline Find More Posts by cgage
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:39 PM
3D Wanna Be
sk8rob's Avatar
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
I disagree, I've lost the canopy may times and never crashed. Once I kept flying because I had the battery strapped in. It looks funny for sure.

Worse thing about losing a canopy is fetching it! And hopefully a spotter goes and gets it.
same here...I was able to land. I did, however, have to re-glue the magnet in the fuse because that was what broke loose. no problems with the stock magnet after that.
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:55 PM
3D Wanna Be
sk8rob's Avatar
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage View Post
I was looking on Hobby Zone's website at pictures of the T28. MAny of them had long antennae hanging out the back like the Supercub has one threaded through the rudder. Anyone know about this?
just different rx...probably not 2.4ghz
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:50 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage View Post
I was looking on Hobby Zone's website at pictures of the T28. MAny of them had long antennae hanging out the back like the Supercub has one threaded through the rudder. Anyone know about this?

Yep, probably an old picture. My first one was like that. Anyone want to buy a stock Tx/Rx cheap?
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ParkZone T-28 Trojan RTF Review Jim Walker Electric Warbirds 879 Aug 11, 2014 09:08 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread - Part 2 monitor Parkflyers 2602 Jun 15, 2014 04:51 PM
Discussion Parkzone T-28 Trojan Thread Edge767 Parkflyers 6527 Jun 04, 2008 05:29 AM
Sold Parkzone T-28 Trojan, 480 960kv Motors (2) Joe in Dublin Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Jan 17, 2008 01:34 PM
Wanted Parkzone T-28 Trojan webejpn01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 25, 2007 02:48 PM