HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:18 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
ok guys, I finally got my T-28 back together after it's last unfortunate meeting with the ground. The one that resulted in a lipo fire which consumed my souped up power system and the better part of a fuselage...

Anyway, here is a vid that I shot from the plane yesterday in Red Hook, Brooklyn. She's back to the stock power system, and flies like a pig with my big old Sony cybershot strapped to the top, but it was a fun day nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Fk6Jb0Kho
Nice video!

I will do my best never to complain about lack of good flying spaces in my area again. Hats off to you!
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan3009 View Post
Hi guys would this motor be a good replacement for the stock motor while still using the stock esc and motor mount. If not what would you reccomend. http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html
It looks like its feasible. Dont go too big on the prop
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The family continues to grow
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
hehe, yep I have definitely had to adjust my concept of "close quarters" since moving to the city. All the light poles, buildings, etc, almost gave me a heart attack the first couple of times I flew down there, but now I just have fun .

Oh, did you see the helicopter at 2:22?

See and avoid!!!
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:56 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan3009 View Post
Hi guys would this motor be a good replacement for the stock motor while still using the stock esc and motor mount. If not what would you reccomend. http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html
It should be OK but will be noticably slower than stock (910kV vs 980kV). You should consider upping the prop to a 10x8 to get comparible performance. I tried a Turnigy 35-36 910kV (SK) in my T28 and was a little disappointed... but should have tried a bigger prop (I didn't think about the numbers back then).

Bargin priced, give it a whirl.

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:23 PM
Canada
Joined Jan 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan3009
You could probably use the 1020kV if you want more speed. http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html
Lasero is offline Find More Posts by Lasero
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:24 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
wow. sure makes me appreciate Dallas. We have lots of open space here.
DaveG99 is offline Find More Posts by DaveG99
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:55 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined May 2009
147 Posts
Drove around for two hours looking for a place to maiden. Almost gave up but, decided to give it a try. I was on a dead end road near Port Costa Ca. Takeoff was easy enough, flying was interesting. The plane seemed to work well, much more responsive than the stock SC. The wind was 5-?, very sketchy, as there was a hill on one side and the Carquinez Straight on the other. I eased her in and landed on all three wheels. The only problem was I pogoed about a foot. Great plane. I will have fun with this. Going to reinforce the nose wheel area. Thanks.
chrisellington is offline Find More Posts by chrisellington
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:12 AM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Max prop for stock setup??

Anyone know the max pitch and size of prop you can put on the T-28 w/ the stock setup?
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:00 AM
East Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2009
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jussyjonny View Post
Anyone know the max pitch and size of prop you can put on the T-28 w/ the stock setup?
Someone mentioned 11x7 as the max on stock gear.
I run a MAS 10x8 Beechwood on my T-28 and it does very well.
Haven't tested amp usage though.
distractor is offline Find More Posts by distractor
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:20 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jussyjonny View Post
There are very few official stats out for the stock motor. People have calculated / estimated the max watts is ~330W to 350W.

With the stock prop, my motor pulls 220W, so there some room for more power. 11x7 or even the 10x10 will probably work, be careful of the 10x10, it draws 505W on my 1100kV motor.

Don't forget to ensure you don't over-load the ESC and battery. Also cutting some of the cowling open to increase ventilation will help.

Flight times will drop too, so start conservatively.

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:09 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Quote:
ok guys, I finally got my T-28 back together after it's last unfortunate meeting with the ground. The one that resulted in a lipo fire which consumed my souped up power system and the better part of a fuselage...

Anyway, here is a vid that I shot from the plane yesterday in Red Hook, Brooklyn. She's back to the stock power system, and flies like a pig with my big old Sony cybershot strapped to the top, but it was a fun day nonetheless.
Cool video man. The weight shouldn't be to bad, just keep the nose down, speed up and make a longer roll out. Actually a little easier IMO to, the plane stays further away from stall speed.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:59 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Cool video man. The weight shouldn't be to bad, just keep the nose down, speed up and make a longer roll out. Actually a little easier IMO to, the plane stays further away from stall speed.
Yeah, it handles the weight nicely. I've even flown it with a big 3000mah Lipo, AND the camera! She will drop the nose more in turns, so it helps to coordinate with rudder. When I can afford another Hobby King order, I am definitely going back to 3536c...

As for the rollout, it's going to be hard to increase that by very much. I took the gear off to save weight (and because I'm missing the nose gear...).
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:39 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Quote:
As for the rollout, it's going to be hard to increase that by very much. I took the gear off to save weight (and because I'm missing the nose gear...).
Ahh, that's why it skidded sideways. I noticed the hand launch.

Also with that much camera, check the COG with the camera on. Cool area!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:25 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Ahh, that's why it skidded sideways. I noticed the hand launch.

Also with that much camera, check the COG with the camera on. Cool area!
Yes, I wasn't just getting overzealous with the Parkzone brake technique!

She is definitely a bit nose heavy, but the battery is back as far as possible without sitting on top of control rods, so I'm ok with that. I would like to try some different camera locations though. I noticed a few folks using "crappier" cameras get clearer shots with less vibration, and more of the ground in the frame. I think when I get new nose gear I will try mounting the camera on the bottom facing rearward.

And then it's movie watching time!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
Joined Apr 2008
54 Posts
External Flaps

Here are the pixs of my T-28 external flaps made from a 1# salad mix container lid. Pretty simple and works great. later, Ed
herniaboy70 is offline Find More Posts by herniaboy70