SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:01 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
Whining is normal. I asked the same question myself when I got mine. Congrats on the successful maiden. Ain't this puppy a blast?
Thanks fuzzyhead. I have to add it wasn't exactly a successful maiden...I actually crashed on her first flight. Despite my plan to keep the first to a calm, easy flight, I decided to push it a little and ended up running her nose into the ground flying inverted. I was pretty upset but it was my fault. Luckily, a little repair work and I took her out about 3 hours later and did have a successful second.
kahays77 is offline Find More Posts by kahays77
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 12:33 AM
Alberta
Joined Mar 2009
18 Posts
Anyone try an apc 10x5e on the stock setup? Was it close to the stock prop? I know i've read it in the past but giving up after reading some 50 pages back.
tre33 is offline Find More Posts by tre33
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:29 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,219 Posts
here’s a few vids from earlier today

geeez am I'm desparate... I have only been able to fly a couple times since Oct between being too dark when I get off work, or rainy & windy on the weekends …but I got out today!! …. maaan I can’t wait til March 14th, Daylight Savings Time!

So I decided to mount up my HD cam on the Corsair and the Trojan... I can’t take credit for the idea for the model of HD cam and mounting, last year I was inspired by all those awesome vids papabatman posted with his Corsair that I bought a similar cam (Jazz Elite HDV188) and carved up some foam to make a canopy that I could mount my HD cam to … unfortunately my flying skills are not where near papabatmans, though I somehow thought adding the HD cam it would improve them my some miraculous means .. not

If ya want to see some pretty cool ones that papabatman has posted, they’re easy to find, search em out on the forum

So here’s a few vids from earlier today… a couple hours before the Super Bowl….

-M

Parkzone F4U Corsair test vid.AVI (6 min 19 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxYmgX0KzsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR-G3Oh1404
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:26 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre33 View Post
Anyone try an apc 10x5e on the stock setup? Was it close to the stock prop? I know i've read it in the past but giving up after reading some 50 pages back.
Hi 333,

I don't have direct experience with a 10x5, but if I had to guess, I think it would be like the Corsair 3-blade (9x7), slower but with more thrust. I regularly fly the 3-blade and like the slow speed authority the extra thrust provides. The speed is plenty for my flying.

Give it a whirl and let us know.

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:06 AM
USA, CA, Norco
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
Maidened my T-28 yesterday, and no crashes! Flew 3 times with 3 successful landings, I was pretty happy since this is my first full-sized 4 channel plane. It was (unofficially) parkzone day out at the field, at one point we had 8 corsairs and trojans up at the same time

One question though: although the plane flies great, very smooth and needing a minimum of trim, it appears to cg very nose-heavy. Is 2.5" back from the leading edge the correct cg point? I've read that number in several places, but mine doesn't balance there, and neither do many of the trojans at the field I fly at. It's not really a problem, considering the plane flies so well, but it does seem odd that it's nose-heavy.
Walrusmaster is offline Find More Posts by Walrusmaster
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:20 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,229 Posts
Walrusmaster,where do you fly at in IE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrusmaster View Post
Maidened my T-28 yesterday, and no crashes! Flew 3 times with 3 successful landings, I was pretty happy since this is my first full-sized 4 channel plane. It was (unofficially) parkzone day out at the field, at one point we had 8 corsairs and trojans up at the same time
Hi W.

Where or what site do you fly at in the IE with the other e-flight models ? I fly my gliders and my T-28 at the ISS glider club field in Riverside ( VanBuren Blvd. and Ca. State Citrus Park site).

A couple of us glider flyers have bought T-28's and using our powered flight 'skill' level it has allowed us to successfully fly these wonderful ARF's. Whats funny is because of our habits we start flying these like gliders and it doesn't take but @10% power and a thermal before they are getting a bit hard to see

take care, john s. in riveside
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Feb 08, 2010, 12:11 PM
USA, CA, Norco
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
I fly at the corona rc club, which is actually in norco. Their website is www.coronarcclub.com, there's directions to the field there, and information about the club. We're there every weekend, it's a great place to fly: lots of room, almost no neighbors, hills for thermaling (and a bit of slope lift, though that's not nearly as good as the thermals), and plenty of airspace. You're always welcome to drop by, it's a great group. I'd recommend a weekend, there's always people there and it's a great time. The field is locked to non-members when not in use, it's open as long as there's a member there though.

I saw you guys (ISS) at the AMA show, as soon as I get a glider I'll have to check out your field.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 12:12 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,185 Posts
Quote:

One question though: although the plane flies great, very smooth and needing a minimum of trim, it appears to cg very nose-heavy. Is 2.5" back from the leading edge the correct cg point? I've read that number in several places, but mine doesn't balance there, and neither do many of the trojans at the field I fly at. It's not really a problem, considering the plane flies so well, but it does seem odd that it's nose-heavy.
Contrats and Welcome! It seems out of the box the T-28 COG is about 1 3/4" to 1 7/8". To me it flies real nice out of the box and I keep one close to that COG. But if you like to fly inverted and want a little quicker response, move it back to 2.5". Move the battery back or add some stick on lead to the tail. Get the lead at your LHS. Get some dowels to balance it, also balance it upside down, 1" out from the fuse on the leading edge, then 2.5" back.

Good Luck,
Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 08, 2010, 12:28 PM
USA, CA, Norco
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
Those numbers seem about right for my trojan, thanks. I'm glad to hear mine's not some factory fluke One of the members at my field has a cg jig that measures distance from the wingtip, and we couldn't get it to balance at 2.5" even with an ounce of lead on the tail. Then we measured another trojan and it was also nose-heavy, so we figured it was safe to fly. Thanks for the correct CG!
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:28 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,185 Posts
For those running a Trunigy 35-36c gold, if HC is out of 4mm shafts, order and use the shaft from a 35-30c. It's a little shorter, and will not have the grove for the ring, I put on a couple of the collars that come with the motor.

On a simular note, I ordered a 35-30 1100 SK series. Weights a little more and has only slightly less power according to the Watts up. 18-19a .vs 20-21a. 200w .vs 220 watts. Haven't tried it on a T-28, probably won't, I like the golds..for now.

Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 08, 2010, 02:01 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
here is my friend tearing up his stock trojan!! He really starts to hate the plane about 4:20 in, even clips a tree.
Mike Trojan (6 min 17 sec)
nitrofevr is offline Find More Posts by nitrofevr
Old Feb 08, 2010, 02:28 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
For those running a Trunigy 35-36c gold, if HC is out of 4mm shafts, order and use the shaft from a 35-30c. It's a little shorter, and will not have the grove for the ring, I put on a couple of the collars that come with the motor.

On a simular note, I ordered a 35-30 1100 SK series. Weights a little more and has only slightly less power according to the Watts up. 18-19a .vs 20-21a. 200w .vs 220 watts. Haven't tried it on a T-28, probably won't, I like the golds..for now.

Rob
Hi Robj,

I've been using the 35-30 1100 SK for a while now. It is a bit more powerful than stock but I'm getting way longer flights that the 35-36c. For my flying with the stock prop / 3-blade Corsair prop it is perfect.

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Feb 08, 2010, 03:32 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,229 Posts
Thank you Walrusmaster....

Quote:
I fly at the corona rc club, which is actually in norco.
Thank you for the info.

I just live down the road from there but figured it was a 'Norco' based rc club

Some guys in our ISS club fly with the Corona RC club also and the Corona club has had good reviews for the site and membership.

take care, john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:45 PM
Joined Apr 2008
54 Posts
External Flaps

I tested my External wing flaps today and they worked perfectly. Amazing how nicely the plane slows down during landing with flaps. Instead of cutting the wing I added some flat plastic, cut from a lettice container lid. The flaps hold tight to the wing during normal flight. I did have to stiffen the flaps up a bit using bamboo skewers split.
herniaboy70 is offline Find More Posts by herniaboy70
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:47 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herniaboy70 View Post
i tested my external wing flaps today and they worked perfectly. Amazing how nicely the plane slows down during landing with flaps. Instead of cutting the wing i added some flat plastic, cut from a lettice container lid. The flaps hold tight to the wing during normal flight. I did have to stiffen the flaps up a bit using bamboo skewers split.
pics man, pics.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G