SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 24, 2009, 01:46 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Well I spoke too soon. it was sunny and 75 yesterday and today we are getting 1-2 inches of snow and 35 mph winds. Texas weather is nuts. Looks like I wont be flying any time soon.

And I have a ar6200 and an ar500 and I have had zero issues with either of them.
you guys in northern TX arent too much farther south than we are in IL. Have fun with the weather. Kinda sux once in a while.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2009, 03:05 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
crash and burn

Well I really did it this morning...
Was out practicing KE with my T-28, on the first battery pack. I was getting pretty comfortable with KE in straight lines across the field, so I wanted to try turning and maintaining altitude, all while knife edged. I made my down wind pass, started a turn to the left and... snap roll at about 15-20 feet up. I knew it was bad right away, but instead of reflexively cutting the throttle, I tried to get out. Needless to say, that didn't work out too good . I went nose in from about 15 feet at 3/4- full throttle.

Now, upon impact, I thought to myself, damn, now I have to get out the gorilla glue and the CA and spend twenty minutes patching this thing back together in the cold. Unfortunately, as I approached the downed plane, I noticed blue smoke coming from the forward fuse. I was walking relatively slow up until then. I sprinted over and ripped out my receiver as the battery proceeded to start shooting flames, engulfing the fuse forward of the battery area. The receiver was actually easy to remove because the ESC lead had burned through already. I managed to save the wing, the servos in the rear part of the fuse, and half of my AR6200. The satellite rx got toasted pretty badly, with one of the antennae losing its rubber housing to the flames. This all happened within 30 seconds of striking the ground!

This is my first lipo fire, and while I have been both cautious and lucky in the past, I had no idea just how volatile these things are! I'm posting some pics, and this story, so that others might be more aware. Thankfully I was flying in a deserted, snow covered field. The fire burned for 7-10 minutes, and might have kept burning if I hadn't started kicking snow on it. I'm usually very careful about where I fly, but this experience really drives home the fact that you just don't know when and where a plane is going to come down, and you better have some quick moves/thinking ready to deal with it if it does.

These pics were taken in my driveway, unfortunately I didn't have my camera at the field because the crater and the burn scars were very dramatic.

Have fun flying and be careful!!

Note: In the pics below, you can see all that was left. The entire forward fuse was consumed by the fire. In the second pic, the battery is on the far right, the ESC is bottom left, and the motor with the prop still connected is pretty obvious. I can't tell if my aluminum motor mount melted or was damaged in the crash. The motor actually doesn't seem too badly damaged, except that the leads are compromised nearly to the hilt. If there is some miracle worker out there that wants it feel free to ask, otherwise its going in the trash.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Last edited by Irg; Dec 24, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
holy crap!
DaveG99 is offline Find More Posts by DaveG99
Old Dec 24, 2009, 08:57 PM
Atkins, AR
Joined Nov 2009
85 Posts
Programing DX6 for flaps.

The weather is pretty misurable here. So, I just installed flaps on my T28. I had a couple of servos that came with my DX6i and I somehow had a extra rod kit for the T-28.

So, I installed a BEC, the servos, cut out the flaps, used the short rods and everything works properly.

I have yet to fly it yet because of the weather and no better tomorrow.

I've read somewhere that when the flaps are dropped, that I will have to give it a little down elevator to compensate. Or I've heard/read that I can program the DX6 to adjust the dn elev a little automaticly when the flap switch is flipped.

How or can I program the DX6 to do that??
Dagwood_55 is offline Find More Posts by Dagwood_55
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:00 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
The weather is pretty misurable here. So, I just installed flaps on my T28. I had a couple of servos that came with my DX6i and I somehow had a extra rod kit for the T-28.

So, I installed a BEC, the servos, cut out the flaps, used the short rods and everything works properly.

I have yet to fly it yet because of the weather and no better tomorrow.

I've read somewhere that when the flaps are dropped, that I will have to give it a little down elevator to compensate. Or I've heard/read that I can program the DX6 to adjust the dn elev a little automaticly when the flap switch is flipped.

How or can I program the DX6 to do that??
where is here? Your profile info thing to the left doesnt have your location
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:59 PM
Joined Nov 2009
132 Posts
Great story Irg. I love reading about stuff like that, (and pics are just an added bonus).

Look at the lipo in the picture. All 3 cells are puffed to hell. That means that the + & - musta shorted together on impact, and then, let the show begin.

Sorry about the crash Irg, but that's part of the fun ............ at least for me.

Todd

Lovin'It is offline Find More Posts by Lovin'It
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:06 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
As much as I wish it hadn't happened (I'm away with lots of time to kill and all 7, now 6, of my battery packs), I couldn't help but get a good laugh out of it as it was happening. That being said, it occurred in the best of all possible places--an open field, frozen with snow and ice. Imagine if this happened on someone's roof, and it took you more than 1-2 minutes to get up there and pull it down. I would be girding myself for a lawsuit right now, or possibly worse.

But, I like to dwell more on the light side of things. I have no one to blame but myself for the crash, and besides, it looked in' awesome!!!

Plus, I have the better part of another airframe waiting at home. Assuming I can get a new satellite receiver for the AR6200, I'm out a Turnigy esc and a 3536c...what's that like $40? If this had been a balsa plane like my new 3DHS 42" Slick, I would have been out a lot more, and I would have been hopping mad. Needless to say, I will be maintaining strict 3 mistake altitude with the Slick, for a while anyway.

Everyone in this hobby has been asked the question I'm sure, "if you spend x amount of money on models, couldn't you just get a pilot's license?" Everybody has a somewhat different answer, but mine has to do with the fact that you can't just rent a Cessna and go out and practice knife edge flight or get your blood moving by skimming the deck inverted. You'd quickly end up dead. If I have to deal with a little frustration and some fireworks every once in a while, it's totally worth it.
Last edited by Irg; Dec 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 09:40 AM
Joined Nov 2009
75 Posts
I did the same thing with my first T-28, but mine did not catch fire. I was knife edging at about 20-30 feet above the ground across the field, got too slow, got the "break" and crashed straight in. The T-28 always cracks in half between the firewall and leading edge. If you are knife edging the T-28, you can't get too slow, you have to maintain your speed. The stall, "break" on the T-28 is much faster when knife edging than wings level. Thanks for posting! It is neat to see someone make the same mistake I made!
Turbofans is offline Find More Posts by Turbofans
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:01 AM
Atkins, AR
Joined Nov 2009
85 Posts
Prop direction.

So, when installing a new prop, the letters/numbers face forward??

Or the prop cuts/leads with the dull edge??
Dagwood_55 is offline Find More Posts by Dagwood_55
Last edited by Dagwood_55; Dec 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:33 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
Generally yes, for apc props the numbers should face forward.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 06:23 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
397 Posts
What type of battery is best for a completly stock T-28? The website says 1800-2200 mah but what c-rating? or does it matter? I just got one for Christmas and I want to get some batteries for it from hobbycity.com

Any help is appreciated.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:26 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,272 Posts
I am now an official member of the T-28D owners club. Well sort of. After installing my rx I went to do the power on checks. When I plugged in the battery I was getting what sounded like continuous beeps. Almost like a buzzing sound from the servo area. An occasional twitch as well. Swapped out the rx. No help. Started disconnecting servos one by one and isolated the noise to both the elevator and rudder servos. Anybody else have a problem like this? I've got extra servos to replace them with but since this was bought as a PNP kit, I'll give Parkzone first shot at solving the problem. Mine was purchased from Red Rocket Hobbies. Already emailed them. Was really hoping to use the long weekend to get acquainted with my newest toy.
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:32 PM
I feel the need for speed
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
What type of battery is best for a completly stock T-28? The website says 1800-2200 mah but what c-rating? or does it matter? I just got one for Christmas and I want to get some batteries for it from hobbycity.com

Any help is appreciated.
Stock system included an 1800mah 15c 3cell. That is a max of 27A. Anything more is bonus. You won't pull more than 27A stock, so the C rating is up to you as long as you net 27A or more output from the battery. I commonly use a 2200mah 20C 3cell. That get's me 44Amps headroom.
BaracW is offline Find More Posts by BaracW
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:56 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaracW View Post
Stock system included an 1800mah 15c 3cell. That is a max of 27A. Anything more is bonus. You won't pull more than 27A stock, so the C rating is up to you as long as you net 27A or more output from the battery. I commonly use a 2200mah 20C 3cell. That get's me 44Amps headroom.
Thank you for the information. I still don't understand all of the specs and what they mean with lipo's and brushless motors (but I'm learning). I have a 2200 mah 15c 3 cell lipo already from another plane I bought but I was considering getting a few of the 2200 mah 20c 3 cell lipo's from hobbycity. I just wanted to be sure they would work and not burn something up.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:08 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
I am now an official member of the T-28D owners club. Well sort of. After installing my rx I went to do the power on checks. When I plugged in the battery I was getting what sounded like continuous beeps. Almost like a buzzing sound from the servo area. An occasional twitch as well. Swapped out the rx. No help. Started disconnecting servos one by one and isolated the noise to both the elevator and rudder servos. Anybody else have a problem like this? I've got extra servos to replace them with but since this was bought as a PNP kit, I'll give Parkzone first shot at solving the problem. Mine was purchased from Red Rocket Hobbies. Already emailed them. Was really hoping to use the long weekend to get acquainted with my newest toy.
the digital servos make a slight humming high pitch sound. Its normal.