HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
Joined Aug 2004
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I feel that my plane actually holds up better after dumb thumbing. I actually had the same issue as you did yesterday, replased the cowl and motor mount. Out flying again today. I was also getting a lot of fuse rocking due to poorly fitting wing saddle. I tried using foam tape, but just not enough. Broke out the hot glue and no more problems. Just make sure you have your ailerons, and flap leads hooked up before using the glue.

VELCRO!
I was having the same wing problem..Tape worked for a while and today after adding flaps I glued the sucker on...Hope everything is hooked up right!
Going to try it out late this afternoon...Dart
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1 Posts
Receiver Layout & Tips?

Hello All. I've recently purchased a T-28 PNP along with the necessary peripherals (AR6200 and 2200mAh Zippys). I'm taking today to put it together and was hoping for a little advice.

First, where do you all put the receiver? Do you tape/velcro it down? What about the antenna? I'm assuming the battery sticks right up the middle...and I did plan on velcroing that down.

Lastly, I've taped the leading edges...but should I put some elsewhere? Do I need to "strengthen" the hinge points for the rudder/aileron?

Any help is appreciated...thanks!
BNole is offline Find More Posts by BNole
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:51 PM
Northernly Inverted
MN USA
Joined Nov 2009
70 Posts
Bnole
Welcome to the wonderful world of the T28!
Here is a previous post with alot of good info in it. I too would be interested in seeing the inside of some planes and how people fasten down their batteries, RX etc...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9305
LouBoxer is offline Find More Posts by LouBoxer
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
Atkins, AR
Joined Nov 2009
85 Posts
Sorry for the double post, ment to post here, but posted in the Gen Park forum, so here I am in the right place....

New T-28 flyer here. Did the maiden today and did fine except for landing. I fly behind my house, perfect place, about 20 acres, except for landing, got tall cedar trees on one end of my LS and a fence on the other end.

So, I'm haveing a problem there coming in too hot.

So, I think I would like to have flaps to help out in landings.

I got a stock PNP and a stock DX6i. There are extra servos in the box with the DX, Willl they work for flap servos??

And can I use the stock ESC and the stock 6100 RX??

If not what do I need??
Dagwood_55 is offline Find More Posts by Dagwood_55
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:39 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
Dagwood,
I would recommend practicing your landings more to get them spot on, exactly where you want them. The flaps will help, but you can learn to put the T-28 down in a small, select area, and I think its worth it to learn how.

As far as those spektrum servos and the stock esc, I would hope to hear from someone who has tried it. Adding two servos might max out the internal BEC on the stock ESC. Worst case scenario, you add an external BEC (battery eliminator circuit, which supplies regulated juice to the radio).
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:46 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
When I installed my receiver I couldn't put it in the little area reserved for it. The wire from the esc wasn't long enough. So I velcroed it just in front of the little box area where it normally would go.
DaveG99 is offline Find More Posts by DaveG99
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:33 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Sorry for the double post, ment to post here, but posted in the Gen Park forum, so here I am in the right place....

New T-28 flyer here. Did the maiden today and did fine except for landing. I fly behind my house, perfect place, about 20 acres, except for landing, got tall cedar trees on one end of my LS and a fence on the other end.

So, I'm haveing a problem there coming in too hot.

So, I think I would like to have flaps to help out in landings.

I got a stock PNP and a stock DX6i. There are extra servos in the box with the DX, Willl they work for flap servos??

And can I use the stock ESC and the stock 6100 RX??

If not what do I need??
Try flapperons first. Don't need to put in any servos or cut any foam - just take out the y-harness and program your TX.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Dec 20, 2009, 04:15 PM
MN
Joined Jun 2006
392 Posts
Thinking about flaperons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
Try flapperons first. Don't need to put in any servos or cut any foam - just take out the y-harness and program your TX.
I've read that this will cause an undesirable effect and ill mannered handling. A simple search will provide with more than enough previous experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRG
When I tried the flaperons on my well worn T-28, I found that they made the ailerons nearl unresponsive. Its possible that I need more differential, but really, I've decided that I don't need them. If you really want flaps, wait for a few days of bad weather and cut real flaps out of the wings. Its an easy mod with plenty of info on how to here.

IMO though, the T-28 flies wonderfully stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2087
I have the flaperons, but am considering cutting actual flaps. It makes sense that the air near the wingtip would be unstable without a wing-let, so having it more near the fuse would at least give a predictable response vs the tip vortex spilling further up the wing and disrupting lift.

just my .2

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpook
With flaperons, it really likes to get sluggish and want to tip stall. Also, don't expect it to slow down the plane too much, especially with differential mixed in, if you want to keep some sort of roll control.
geekmedic is offline Find More Posts by geekmedic
Old Dec 20, 2009, 04:15 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
not claiming to be expert at this at all, but I just thought I would upload a vid of landing my hotrodded Trojan in a relatively tight space with no flaps. Fastforward to the end for the landing. It's all about keeping some power on and avoiding the stall. You can hear me cut the power 1-2 second before shut down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmQAjC39qrI

I had been landing right on the snow a few days before, but it warmed up and lost the crusty top layer.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Dec 20, 2009, 04:26 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
its easy to land the t28. No need for flapperons, flaps, spoilerons, or any thing else. Its flies nicely stock. It pretty much floats in to where ever you want it to. Practice makes perfect!
DaveG99 is offline Find More Posts by DaveG99
Old Dec 20, 2009, 04:31 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
I love my flaps. Yes I learned to land it just fine without the flaps and flew it like that for a long time, but I like it with the flaps.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:14 PM
Joined May 2009
298 Posts
Guys

I want to discharge my Lipo's for storage till the weather improves and I can take out the T-28D again.....

My balance charger can discharge the batteries but at what rate should I discharge them at? 1amp?

That batteries range from: 1800mAh to 2200mAh

Is a 1amp discharge rate safe enough?

Thx
G4ORCE is offline Find More Posts by G4ORCE
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:49 PM
USA, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Aug 2009
138 Posts
If you are adding flaps, you will need a separate BEC. The stock BEC on the controller is only good for 4 servos. I used the Castle Creations BEC that costs $21. The t-28 does not need flaps but they add anther element that is fun. Someone recommended the following flap settings and after trying several different amounts, i agree with his recommendation:

Flap position 1 for takeoff: 10 degrees and Flap position 2 for landing: 20 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Rick
WireDoc is offline Find More Posts by WireDoc
Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:46 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I've read that this will cause an undesirable effect and ill mannered handling. A simple search will provide with more than enough previous experience.
Sounds like they dialed in too much. Didn't have any problems with mine unless I was landing into a good wind - in which case you don't need them anyway.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:52 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ORCE View Post
Guys

I want to discharge my Lipo's for storage till the weather improves and I can take out the T-28D again.....

My balance charger can discharge the batteries but at what rate should I discharge them at? 1amp?

That batteries range from: 1800mAh to 2200mAh

Is a 1amp discharge rate safe enough?

Thx
Yes. 1a discharge on 1800-2200mAh batteries is perfectly safe. That is a VERY low discharge rate. Anything at or below about 1/2 the rated continuous discharge rate should be safe although most chargers wont discharge a battery anywhere near that.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2