SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2009, 06:08 PM
Northernly Inverted
MN USA
Joined Nov 2009
70 Posts
Well had my worst accident yet today.....Nose Dive...due to having my ailerons reversed somehow. I managed flying it for a bit but then... well you know.
Busted cowl & prop. Tore the wing mounts out but didnt break the wing. She can take a beating!!
Couple questions
1. I have read that people glue their wings to the bottom of the fuse. Sounds good in theory but if mine were glued in today it would have done alot more damage probably... so whats really the point of glueing them in?
2. What is the best way to keep the battery from sliding forward suddenly and doing alot of damage??
LouBoxer is offline Find More Posts by LouBoxer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2009, 06:21 PM
MN
Joined Jun 2006
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoxer View Post
1. I have read that people glue their wings to the bottom of the fuse. Sounds good in theory but if mine were glued in today it would have done alot more damage probably... so whats really the point of glueing them in?
I feel that my plane actually holds up better after dumb thumbing. I actually had the same issue as you did yesterday, replased the cowl and motor mount. Out flying again today. I was also getting a lot of fuse rocking due to poorly fitting wing saddle. I tried using foam tape, but just not enough. Broke out the hot glue and no more problems. Just make sure you have your ailerons, and flap leads hooked up before using the glue.
Quote:
2. What is the best way to keep the battery from sliding forward suddenly and doing alot of damage??
VELCRO!
geekmedic is offline Find More Posts by geekmedic
Old Dec 19, 2009, 06:21 PM
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
Well had my worst accident yet today.....Nose Dive...due to having my ailerons reversed somehow. I managed flying it for a bit but then... well you know.
Busted cowl & prop. Tore the wing mounts out but didnt break the wing. She can take a beating!!
Couple questions
because if the wing rips off up high your fuse will look like a rocket going straight down,say good bye to the exspensive parts like motor,bat,rx,esc
my2cents is offline Find More Posts by my2cents
Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:10 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I feel that my plane actually holds up better after dumb thumbing. I actually had the same issue as you did yesterday, replased the cowl and motor mount. Out flying again today. I was also getting a lot of fuse rocking due to poorly fitting wing saddle. I tried using foam tape, but just not enough. Broke out the hot glue and no more problems. Just make sure you have your ailerons, and flap leads hooked up before using the glue.

VELCRO!
I got fed up with the wing rocking in the saddle and spot glued it in place. Works great now -- no rocking.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,369 Posts
Here is your video, no need to make it too hard to view it. Very cool. Tell us more about the floats. Are they scratchbuilt or a kit?
TrojanFloats.wmv (2 min 13 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:26 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Here is your video, no need to make it too hard to view it. Very cool. Tell us more about the floats. Are they scratchbuilt or a kit?
Okay...thanks, I just didnt want to clog up the thread The are HobbyZone Supercub floats....I have a build thread Here There is too much on there for me to re-type.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:29 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cna91 View Post
Okay...thanks, I just didnt want to clog up the thread The are HobbyZone Supercub floats....I have a build thread Here There is too much on there for me to re-type.
Thanks for the link. It flies great off the snow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:16 PM
Northernly Inverted
MN USA
Joined Nov 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post

VELCRO!
Thanks for the reply
I know my hot glue would be half cool by the time I got it all on there so would a Poly glue (Elmers Ulitmate High Performance or Gorilla) be good to use under the wing???
LouBoxer is offline Find More Posts by LouBoxer
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:53 PM
I have to land it??$#%@!!
Mc Calla, Alabama
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply
I know my hot glue would be half cool by the time I got it all on there so would a Poly glue (Elmers Ulitmate High Performance or Gorilla) be good to use under the wing???
I have had the same problem...not enough time before the hotglue cools down. I would assume that you would want to be able to put glue on both sides before forming/pressing the wing to the fusalage. I use the low temp hotglue gun...maybe that is the problem...at least for me??

Tom
tlewter is offline Find More Posts by tlewter
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:21 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
I used Bic lighters with hot glue sticks on both of mine. I hold the lighter horizontal, heat the glue up until it drips and "drip" on the surfaces I want to glue (ie. the wing to the saddle).

Just be careful your fingers aren't under the drip and be careful you don't have the glue stick too close to the wing/fuse. The glue will melt the Z-foam and those temps so letting the glue fall for 8-10" before it hits the parts helps. You'll have plenty of time to mesh the wing into the saddle.

Another way that has worked for me is to just use my low temp hot glue gun and run a bead on the outside right where the wing meets the fuse. There's a recessed area right where they meet that allows enough hot glue to adhere to both surfaces without being "on top" of the Z-foam so to speak. Since the wing is already installed you have more than enough time to make the connection. Using an old CC or cardboard to clean up the joint while its still hot helps too.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:47 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlewter View Post
I have had the same problem...not enough time before the hotglue cools down. I would assume that you would want to be able to put glue on both sides before forming/pressing the wing to the fusalage. I use the low temp hotglue gun...maybe that is the problem...at least for me??

Tom
Heck, you are making it way too complicated. Just tack it in place by hot gluing the seam between the wing and saddle area with wing attached.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:06 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Heck, you are making it way too complicated. Just tack it in place by hot gluing the seam between the wing and saddle area with wing attached.
exactly what I do with my foamies. You dont really have to get it between the saddle and the wing. I just "spot weld" it with hot glue on the face of both surfaces and lick the finger and swipe it once. It makes the wing solid enough to keep from wobbling but not permanent enough to keep the wing from breaking loose when it needs to.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:10 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
I never glue the wing on mine, I use 1/2 width black Gorilla tape!
Works good and looks like the wing walks.
If you do need to seperate wing and fuse, cut a seam in the tape and leave the first layer down, it also reinforces the foam(which the glue doesn't) re-tape when ready!
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFly. View Post
I never glue the wing on mine, I use 1/2 width black Gorilla tape!
Works good and looks like the wing walks.
If you do need to seperate wing and fuse, cut a seam in the tape and leave the first layer down, it also reinforces the foam(which the glue doesn't) re-tape when ready!
That would work too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:33 AM
I feel the need for speed
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,267 Posts
Hey guys. If you plane gets really dirty and want to clean it really well without damaging it, use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Works wonders on cleaning just about anything, and your foam will look as good as new, with no gouges or scratches (unless they were already there ) .
BaracW is offline Find More Posts by BaracW