SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:21 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
accidentally posted this in the other Trojan thread. Ididnt want to re-trpe everything all over again with the attachements, but I thought you guys might want to see it anyways.

Here is a hint though----Floats
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:09 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
I forgot to take video or pictures. I had another successful day flying. I did 5 flights today. Would have got more but I had to make a trip to the LHS to pick up a clevis. I broke the clevis that connects to the servo from the steering arm. Luckily my lhs carries a bunch of parkzone parts. I flew at the college here in a field and I was flying with only two other people. I left there and went to this unofficial field and there were about 30 nitro planes flying around and a couple electrics. I was so nervous flying with these 3d nitro planes doing knife edges down the runway! But I sent her up and had two successful flights in the chaos they call a flying field. I guess because today was the nicest day we had in a long time everyone was there. I had some great landings and I even did some rolls and some loops and some low fly byes. I am not using expo eventhough I have only been flying planes for around 4weeks. I need to check the servo linkages to make sure they are maxed out. Is the t28 supposed to roll easily?
DaveG99 is offline Find More Posts by DaveG99
Last edited by DaveG99; Dec 13, 2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:42 PM
Northernly Inverted
MN USA
Joined Nov 2009
70 Posts
Glad you had a great day Dave. Would love to see some video.
I spent the day fixing and plowing and fixing some more on my 1972 GMC plow truck.
After about 4 hours I came in and told the wife how beautiful it was outside (serious). It was about 20F. I didnt have gloves on most of the day. You guys need to get with it in those southern climates LOL. I love those photos and video CNA. It will inspire me! The frozen lake up the road will be a great place to fly.
So do the Floats really help you all to land in the snow?? why not skis instead??
LouBoxer is offline Find More Posts by LouBoxer
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:50 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoxer View Post
I love those photos and video CNA. It will inspire me! The frozen lake up the road will be a great place to fly.
I have flown in just about every weather that Utah has thrown at me. We have flown over 100 dergrees, near zero, light rain, light snow, calm, 30-40 mph wind (slope)...you name it. As long as I am flying and hangin with friends, it's all good....the heated tent is just a bonus. Now I just need someone else to bring a carpet for the floor and a "wipe your feet" mat for the doorway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoxer View Post
So do the Floats really help you all to land in the snow?? why not skis instead??
As fluffy as our snow can be up here, I just think that the floats may be better. I could be wrong, but that was my thought process.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
I just went a taxi tested the floats in the back yard. While not a true test with the wet sticky snow, over all, the test passed. I think the tail still sits a little high But I think I am stuck with what I have, unless I do some creative bending of the rear strut. I guess with a combination of adding 7 ounces, sticky snow and a battery that has been in the car all day, it had a hard time picking up speed. I put the flaps in the half down position and it got light and acually took off, I had to shut her down quick because I was running out of yard. Touched down and bounced if off the fence. She survived just fine.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:15 AM
Joined May 2009
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
Your right and wrong at the same time. The stock setup will only go so fast or draw so much watts/amps. However a better battery (like a 30-40C battery) installed will increase the peak amps/watts your getting. A motor/ESC/prop combination will take all the juice it can get and while it will not exceed the voltage times the Kv of the motor it will hold higher voltage longer which translates into much better performance throughout the cycle of the battery.

For example a 13C battery may require 3/4 throttle to maintain 7k rpm halfway through the cycle while a 30C pack might only require 1/2 throttle to maintain the same 7k rpm because it has held higher voltage.

Yes higher "C" rated packs generally weigh more (about 99.99% of the time) but, the increased performance vs. weight is always arguable. Installed in a model like the T-28 (very "floaty") a lot of people manage their throttle so they are only using it about 50% of the time or they have it turning but not actually "pulling", if that makes sense. In other words, do a vertical climb, back-off/drop throttle and coast down or for a bit. Very few people fly the T-28 at constant throttle. A select few (myself included) have full bore, give her hell 3-5 minute heavily modded flights. Indeed the stock setup probably would generate at least 6-7 minutes flights if the entire flight was at full throttle. Don't try that with the stock pack or a cheap low "C" pack because you'll either puff it or worse have the dreaded gray smoke trailing your plane.

Here's my take. A good battery with a 25-40C rating will generate better power and longer flight times. I may be wrong but, I doubt it. If you do get a better battery, please run a watt meter and let us know your findings. I'll wager your drawing more watts/amps on the better pack and have longer flights.
Thx Buzzkill2....

I have indeed purchased a new Lipo, a Turnigy 2200mAh 30-40C 3S, and will see what happens. Can you recommend a watt meter?
G4ORCE is offline Find More Posts by G4ORCE
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:26 AM
Joined May 2009
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Hi everyone,

Fairly new to RC flying, I started flying my Trojan T28D about a couple of months ago after putting in many hours of simulator training on RealFlight G4.5, which was incredibly useful.

I have been flying almost every day since my maiden and by now I am extremely comfortable with my stock T28, and fly it as acrobatically as it will let me, with no incidents whatsoever. I have adjusted the throw of the ailerons for faster rolls. I've also mounted a camera on it and learned to fly with the added weight - no issues either. I have been enjoying the everloving crap out of this plane, it's amazing.

Now I am looking to upgrade the engine for better vertical climb and acrobatics as well as the possibility of a slightly heavier camera (145 grams vs the current 133 gram one I use now).

I have been reading this thread and doing a lot of research on the upgrades, and here is what I have selected:

Turnigy 3536c 1100Kv
Turnigy 40a Plush ESC
(4) ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C
Turnigy Accucel 6 charger
10x7 prop

Everyone seems to be out of good 30c batteries, and I am wondering if I would really see a benefit from using those.

I am also really worried that sellers are never clear about what kind of connector their batteries use, so I have no idea if I will need an adapter.

So I ask the experts - how does my upgrade parts set look? Thanks!
Have you flown her on this setup? just wondering whether there is a HUGE difference in performance from stock.....
G4ORCE is offline Find More Posts by G4ORCE
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:32 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ORCE View Post
Have you flown her on this setup? just wondering whether there is a HUGE difference in performance from stock.....
Not yet, parts haven't arrived. I will report back when I do
tmsn is online now Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:34 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
Exact same setup I use on my Corsair...
Thanks Fixxin. Question: I've heard mentions about programming the Turnigy ESC with some sort of PC interface. Have you heard about that? Is it necessary?
tmsn is online now Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:57 AM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Thanks Fixxin. Question: I've heard mentions about programming the Turnigy ESC with some sort of PC interface. Have you heard about that? Is it necessary?
I have used the Turnigy programming card but its not a pc interface. You just plug it into your system and you can change brake, timing, cutoff rate and the musical tones that it plays when you power up. Its convenient if you change that stuff often but you can do it all without the card (except music) with the sticks on your tx
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ogramming_Card

GForce. I use the watts up meter. Quality for sure
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLMV0&P=FR
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Dec 14, 2009, 01:03 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
716 Posts
Have you got some video on the water yet? Please post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cna91 View Post
accidentally posted this in the other Trojan thread. Ididnt want to re-trpe everything all over again with the attachements, but I thought you guys might want to see it anyways.

Here is a hint though----Floats
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:10 PM
I have to land it??$#%@!!
Mc Calla, Alabama
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
There is a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ORCE View Post
I have the same setup that was mentioned and I saw quite a bit of difference when I added the 35-36C motor and the upgraded battery and prop. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised...at least I was.

Tom
tlewter is offline Find More Posts by tlewter
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:59 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
I bought one of the little key chain cameras that some of you guys were using. I managed to capture a little footage but cant tell when it is on(taking video) or not

The instruction sheet says that during charging the RED and GREEN light will do certain things..The only light I see is yellow or orange(1 light)

When I plug the camera and USB adapter in, the yellow light is on constantly

The instructions also say a CD is included and you can set the date etc/..no disc.Date shows 1/27/08

Anyone have one of these that sounds similiar?

Thanks,

JImmy
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:14 PM
MN
Joined Jun 2006
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
I bought one of the little key chain cameras that some of you guys were using. I managed to capture a little footage but cant tell when it is on(taking video) or not

The instruction sheet says that during charging the RED and GREEN light will do certain things..The only light I see is yellow or orange(1 light)

When I plug the camera and USB adapter in, the yellow light is on constantly

The instructions also say a CD is included and you can set the date etc/..no disc.Date shows 1/27/08

Anyone have one of these that sounds similiar?

Thanks,

JImmy
This should answer all of your questions.
geekmedic is offline Find More Posts by geekmedic
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:26 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
This should answer all of your questions.

Thank you Sir!
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp