Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:37 AM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Hi everyone,

Fairly new to RC flying, I started flying my Trojan T28D about a couple of months ago after putting in many hours of simulator training on RealFlight G4.5, which was incredibly useful.

I have been flying almost every day since my maiden and by now I am extremely comfortable with my stock T28, and fly it as acrobatically as it will let me, with no incidents whatsoever. I have adjusted the throw of the ailerons for faster rolls. I've also mounted a camera on it and learned to fly with the added weight - no issues either. I have been enjoying the everloving crap out of this plane, it's amazing.

Now I am looking to upgrade the engine for better vertical climb and acrobatics as well as the possibility of a slightly heavier camera (145 grams vs the current 133 gram one I use now).

I have been reading this thread and doing a lot of research on the upgrades, and here is what I have selected:

Turnigy 3536c 1100Kv
Turnigy 40a Plush ESC
(4) ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C
Turnigy Accucel 6 charger
10x7 prop

Everyone seems to be out of good 30c batteries, and I am wondering if I would really see a benefit from using those.

I am also really worried that sellers are never clear about what kind of connector their batteries use, so I have no idea if I will need an adapter.

So I ask the experts - how does my upgrade parts set look? Thanks!
Exact same setup I use on my Corsair except I chose to go with an apc 11x7e prop (puts you right at 40amps). Same charger also. The 25c will be just fine. I use them as well as the 30 and its all good. It seems to be a crapshoot as to which plugs you will get from HC as of lately. Worst case scenario you go to the local hobby shop and get you some ends and fab up you own plug ends or adapters. The charger has a deans plug on it so if your batts dont have deans you will need some sort of adapter to go from deans to whatever you use.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:00 AM
Northernly Inverted
MN USA
Joined Nov 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
Thank You IH8 !!
I looked under T but never thought too look under P for Parkzone. You made my day.
LouBoxer is offline Find More Posts by LouBoxer
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:18 AM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoxer View Post
Thank You IH8 !!
I looked under T but never thought too look under P for Parkzone. You made my day.
Here to help, mostly.
There are a few more in the form of variants but I fly the one for 3.5 that I posted. They become unique as you tweak them anyway.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:32 PM
Northernly Inverted
MN USA
Joined Nov 2009
70 Posts
Does anyone know if Radio Shack sells Deans ??
Mine doesnt have any EC3's
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:35 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,023 Posts
Quote:
Not sure but I highly doubt it.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:37 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,023 Posts
Heres a good deal, tell him fixxin sent ya.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146002
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
167 Posts
My current setup is

t-28d
stock motor
stock 30 A esc
flightmax 20c 2200 mah

I am heading toward the hobby store to pickup 2 props
10x7 APC E prop (more efficient than stock prop)
and a 11x5.5 APC E prop ( more vertical)

according to calculators, I shouldn't have any issues with either prop

is this correct?

Andrew
afinegan is offline Find More Posts by afinegan
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:31 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
Well I finally got here up in the air. I have only flown a super cub about ten times before this. Take off was nice and smooth from the grass field. Got her up and circled around a few times. My initial thought was that it turns super sharp compared to the cub. I didnt have to even trim her out. She pretty much flew straight as an arrow. Im sure I had a huge smile on my face but I was sort of nervous. I flew for about 2 minutes and thought to myself that I should see if I can land her. I circled into the wind about 200 yards downwind from me. I cut the throttle to about 1/4 and brought her down. I miss shot the runway by about 200 feet because this plane floats and I thought it would drop much faster. Landed her in some long grass and she flipped forwards but with no damage at all.

So I decided to take off again and I did. Flew around for a few minutes. But on this landing I cut the throttle completely on my approach. This worked out much better and I was able to bring her in nice and smooth on all three wheels.

This plane floats really well. I was shocked at how it didnt want to come down fast even with the throttle off.

I love the t28! Im going to go back out there and fly some more in a little while.
DaveG99 is offline Find More Posts by DaveG99
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:55 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Well I finally got here up in the air. I have only flown a super cub about ten times before this. Take off was nice and smooth from the grass field. Got her up and circled around a few times. My initial thought was that it turns super sharp compared to the cub. I didnt have to even trim her out. She pretty much flew straight as an arrow. Im sure I had a huge smile on my face but I was sort of nervous. I flew for about 2 minutes and thought to myself that I should see if I can land her. I circled into the wind about 200 yards downwind from me. I cut the throttle to about 1/4 and brought her down. I miss shot the runway by about 200 feet because this plane floats and I thought it would drop much faster. Landed her in some long grass and she flipped forwards but with no damage at all.

So I decided to take off again and I did. Flew around for a few minutes. But on this landing I cut the throttle completely on my approach. This worked out much better and I was able to bring her in nice and smooth on all three wheels.

This plane floats really well. I was shocked at how it didnt want to come down fast even with the throttle off.

I love the t28! Im going to go back out there and fly some more in a little while.
Congrats, glad to hear it went well. Hold on, youre in for the long haul now. Save your pennies, it gets expensive
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:28 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
Congrats, glad to hear it went well. Hold on, youre in for the long haul now. Save your pennies, it gets expensive
I know. I already have a large nitro trainer I bought. I plan on getting really good at the t28 then flying the nitro plane. I have flown the nitro plane once but I didnt take off or land.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:57 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post

These are the posts we like to see!
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Dec 12, 2009, 06:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
167 Posts
Well the 10X7 APC E prop flew really well today, even in 10 mph winds (18 gusts), it climbed a lot better than the stock prop. Just be careful when you ream he prop out and make sure its straight.

I don't have a watts up meter(will be in my next order from hobby city) so I cant give you any hard data quite yet. I didnt try the 11X5.5 APC E prop yet, Ill wait until a wind free day for that one. Its suppose to pull around 21-22 amps where the 10X7 APC E only pulls around 15.1 amps

This is all on the stock motor, esc (30 amp), and flightmax 2200 mah, 20c batterys.

Andrew
afinegan is offline Find More Posts by afinegan
Old Dec 12, 2009, 06:14 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
Quote:
I went to a local hobby shop and they soldered me a male deans to a female EC3. I paid $6 for it.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:44 PM
Northernly Inverted
MN USA
Joined Nov 2009
70 Posts
Dave
Glad to hear your maiden flight went so well. I need to hear that to inspire me. Seems like I am always reading about crashes and seeing broken planes LoL.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:58 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
I will be back out at the field tomorrow. Its supposed to be 68 and sunny. I cant wait