HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:10 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Yes, Horizon lists all w/ 30a ESC's. I sent an email to make sure I dont get an old kit w/ 25a esc. They could say the product description plainly says 25a if they didnt want to replace it.I bet most have the 30a in the box though

The hobby shop at the heli fun fly I was at last weekend had a couple of the red/wht kits and they said 25A the grey/blueD's of course all said 30A. I didnt open the others to check because they were RTF or Chg and fly with FM radio gear so I didnt want one.

I was offered a Bind and Fly with the battery/charger removed for 160.00 which was a great deal as it has an AR500 included. I would have picked it up but felt like I need the red/wht for my old eyes to see better.

I quit flying planes in 2000 but have been a heli addict for the last couple of years...bad.Bought a RTF little mSR heli and a Bind and Fly little Ember Plane...then a DX-7 to fly them with as I use Futaba faast on my helis..then a plug and play Mini Ultra Stick and a Millenium Slow Sick and reg Slow stick so Im excited about planes again..I kept all of my planes but they all have FM radio gear w/ probably dead ni cd. I have some nice, big, 1/3 scale, 1/4 scale stuff mostly 4 stroke powered Im loving electric now

Im getting a T-28 soon anyway and my heli flying buddy is getting the Corsair so we can do a little combat action with streamers.Looks like a lot of fun to me.

Thanks for the help and info

Jimmy
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Last edited by jamesppp; Oct 31, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:59 PM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
The new Corsair mount worked out so awesome I gotz me anotha one of those waaaay coolio aluminum motor mounts from Gary at Custom RC Parts…(as expected, awesome work Gary!) this one was mounted to a Turnigy SK 3530-1100kv on the T-28 swingin' an APC 11x7E … took er out for a test flight today even though the conditions were less than desirable…. pretty blustery and an occasional tiny rain drop which always seemed to hit my glasses square on

Anyways… here’s a few pics … I think you can see the DuBro steering gear mount dealio too… a few weeks ago I cracked the built-in nose gear formed into the firewall for the umpteenth time… and after getting tired of slapping epoxy on it after each outing I broke down and did the DuBro fix… pretty stout now.

Oh yah…. that’s a pic of my watermelon sized FlightMax 3S 4,400 mAh 15C lipohee hee …. I love em… get huge air time with em and then I also dbl them up and fly em a 6S combo in my Kyosho Spitfire 50 EP… multitaskin’ the lipos ya know

Turnigy SK 3530-1100kv
Turnigy 40 amp Plush ESC
APC 11x7E

• 3 amps & 33 watts @ ½ throttle
• 11 amps & 113 watts @ ¾ throttle
• 22 amps & 217 watts @ WOT

-HuffDaddy
Looks good Huffdaddy! I'm glad the mounts are working out well for you!
Gary
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Old Oct 31, 2009, 06:30 PM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
I went to the field today to fly, I took the Blade 400 as usual but also packed the T-28 for only my third flight with it (or any plane for that matter!). I feel pretty green with planes so I flew some packs through the B400 to settle my nerves.

B400 Flying

Finally, feeling confident I thought I would run a pack in the T-28.

All in all I am very happy with the plane. It's great fun to fly, very very different to flying a heli.

I still have to get my head around how to trim and get CofG right so it flies level. All the advice in this thread is great but there is no replacement for experience in this game is there!?!

With a heli you can do a whole lot more bench setup whereas it seems to me that with a plane you need to make setup adjustments on the fly (no pun intended).

Right now it seems to drag it's back side from half throttle and beyond, do you know if this means it is tail heavy (as would seem obvious on the face of it)? It balances on my fingers (upside down) at about a quarter inch short of two inches from the leading edge of the wing.

Anyway, my 3rd flight, my 1st inverted and my 1st crash!

I can only blame it on dumb thumbs I'm afraid. Whilst inverted I put it nose into the ground with the wrong elevator input. As of now it appears the only problem is a big snap in the foam fuse. I haven't taken the cowl off to examine if anything is broken in there as yet but it appears on first inspection a good dose of foam friendly epoxy will get her flying again. Any recommendations for foam friendly epoxy?

It's fun this plane flying lark though for sure. For me, pretty hard even just flying circuits but what's this hobby for if not for enjoyment and a little bit of a challenge.

Cha, took me a year to move to forward flight with a heli so I guess I have 11 months to get proficient at circuits and figure eights.

Listen to the 'crack' at the end.

T-28, 3rd Flight, 1st Inverted, 1st Crash

Take it easy all.
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:11 PM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
98 Posts
Ted,
My foam repair kit is EFlite foam compatible CA and foam compatible activator and some 5 minute epoxy. For the epoxy, I've used all different brands and they all seem to work well.
Gary
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:34 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customrcparts View Post
Ted,
My foam repair kit is EFlite foam compatible CA and foam compatible activator and some 5 minute epoxy. For the epoxy, I've used all different brands and they all seem to work well.
Gary
You dont have to buy the (more expensive) foam safe CA. The planes like the T28 and F4U are make of EPP foam and is very tolerant of regular CA foam
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:17 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Hey Ted, welcome.

Geez, just watching your video made me nervous. You're doing a whole lot of maneuvering for someone so new to planes. All the rolls and inverted seem a bit premature until you can get some sustained level flight. Are you flying with a computer TX? If so, consider dialing in some expo and low rates so the plane isn't so jumpy. And any time you want to try some aerobatics try to make sure you're two mistakes high.
Looks like you're having fun tho - keep it up.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:19 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
You dont have to buy the (more expensive) foam safe CA. The planes like the T28 and F4U are make of EPP foam and is very tolerant of regular CA foam
Or a cheap ($3) hot-glue gun and some hot glue. It work's great.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:21 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Ted, after not flying planes for almost 9 years and spending the last 2 years flying and buying helis I bought a plane about 6 weeks ago. Now Ive picked up a couple more and am about to get one of these T-28's

I have a Logo 5003D, Outrage 550, 2 E-620 Raptors a Beam E 450 and some other helis here. Im not too good with them but am having a lot of fun.

I dont think I went for sustained inverted flight on the new plane fr at least 10 batteries worth.lol You jumped right in there

I could never tell if you had he plane trimmed out or not but you were just lettin it rip. Im dyslexic and almost always instinctivly move the stick the wrong way when Im just buzzing around by the seat of my pants..Muscle memory is usually reversed for me so I have to think about it..which isnt a good thing

Glue that thing back together and you will have it down pat in no time. Watching you makes me wonder why I felt the need to be so careful after not flying a plane for so long. It felt pretty uncomfortable untill I got at least 3 packs under my belt

I was hoping to fly the Slow Stick today that I finished last night but the rain prevented that. I thought the slow stick would help me get back in the groove with the airplane thing..and I have a string of lights to make a night rig out of it.

Good luck

Jimmy
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:35 PM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customrcparts View Post
Ted,
Gary
Thanks for the tip Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
Hey Ted, welcome..
Thanks Belem, it's a great thread with excellent contributors.

Quote:
Geez, just watching your video made me nervous. You're doing a whole lot of maneuvering for someone so new to planes. All the rolls and inverted seem a bit premature until you can get some sustained level flight.
I know, I know. Call it green horn exuberance.

I am very structured in my learning with helis but the plane is really meant for some fun so I don't want to be too strict learning to fly planes.

Quote:
Are you flying with a computer TX? If so, consider dialing in some expo and low rates so the plane isn't so jumpy. And any time you want to try some aerobatics try to make sure you're two mistakes high.
Looks like you're having fun tho - keep it up.
I am indeed flying with a computer TX (the DX6i that came with my Blade 400) and have the d/r set at 80 on low rates and a little expo on
all controls bar throttle. I don't want to limit the travel too much and then have to re-adjust when I wind it back up (and I forgot to turn the rates to low today anyway!).

I think the elevator sensitivity particularly is also exacerbated by my plane not being balanced correctly and likes to pitch upward from level flight. It is a lot less sensitive when inverted, in fact pulling up [down!] from inverted is actually quite sluggish.

Thanks for the tips Belem. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:55 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,001 Posts
Ted, expo is a handy item to use with the 6i. Go to your dual rates and add about 40% positive expo on the ailerons and elevator. If it seems to sluggish for ya, start knocking the expo down. Also 80% for low rates isnt that low. You could knock your low rates down to 60% and high on 100% and get the feel of the plane and it will still be pretty active. Give it a try,......or not. Very easy to change back if you dont like it.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:04 PM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
Ted, after not flying planes for almost 9 years and spending the last 2 years flying and buying helis I bought a plane about 6 weeks ago. Now Ive picked up a couple more and am about to get one of these T-28's

I have a Logo 5003D, Outrage 550, 2 E-620 Raptors a Beam E 450 and some other helis here. Im not too good with them but am having a lot of fun.
Hey Jimmy, nice to meet you and thanks for the reply.

That's quite a collection of helis. The L500 and O550 are two of my "pin up" helis. One day, one day! Right now I'm running a Blade 400 as my trainer and an MSH Protos as my hangar queen.

The Logo is the one that I think will be my next project but I will be waiting a year or so to save so by then who knows what will be out.

I'm glad you're enjoying them.

I love the two I have, flying them is a great way to unwind after a tough day.

Quote:
I dont think I went for sustained inverted flight on the new plane for at least 10 batteries worth.lol You jumped right in there

I could never tell if you had he plane trimmed out or not but you were just lettin it rip. Im dyslexic and almost always instinctivly move the stick the wrong way when Im just buzzing around by the seat of my pants..Muscle memory is usually reversed for me so I have to think about it..which isnt a good thing
She's definitely not trimmed right but I can't blame that for my flying!

I think I'm similar, it certainly takes awhile for new orientations to sink in and even when they do I need to constantly reinforce what I have learnt.

Quote:
Glue that thing back together and you will have it down pat in no time. Watching you makes me wonder why I felt the need to be so careful after not flying a plane for so long. It felt pretty uncomfortable untill I got at least 3 packs under my belt
Thanks man, I will for sure be glueing it back together (probably more than once!) and getting back out there. I think the only reason I just flew it is that because it felt inherently unstable (badly trimmed and balanced, my fault) grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and making it move felt more comfortable than letting it control me.

Quote:
I was hoping to fly the Slow Stick today that I finished last night but the rain prevented that. I thought the slow stick would help me get back in the groove with the airplane thing..and I have a string of lights to make a night rig out of it.
Excuse the newb question, what is a slow stick?

Night flying looks like a real laugh, I have planned out a night rig for the Blade 400 but haven't got the parts as yet (something else always comes up!). Around here there are a lot of ramblers and dog walkers and so many great flying sites are out of bound during the usual hours. I quite like the idea of making use of that space when no-one else is, late night runs to the field sound like fun!

Quote:
Good luck
I, or rather the poor T-28, am/is going to need it!

I hope you keep enjoying the heli flying and get right back into the swing of things with your planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
Ted, expo is a handy item to use with the 6i. Go to your dual rates and add about 40% positive expo on the ailerons and elevator. If it seems to sluggish for ya, start knocking the expo down. Also 80% for low rates isnt that low. You could knock your low rates down to 60% and high on 100% and get the feel of the plane and it will still be pretty active. Give it a try,......or not. Very easy to change back if you dont like it.
Thanks Fixxin. That's going to be my next job after glueing her back together I think. Thanks again for all the advice and tips.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:22 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
423 Posts
I flew like the last video until I moved my CG from 1.x to 2.25 then that flight I flew nice straight level flight, I was amazed. Try both CG for yourself. Huffdaddy - The back of my battery is where the back of your receiver is (with a heavier power 10 motor). You have a heavy motor also so you must be extremely nose heavy unless you added a lot of tail lead.
Gary
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:20 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,975 Posts
In case anyone is interested in the performance stats for the Turnigy SK36-30 1100kV...

With a Zippy-H 2200 20C and stock prop:
50% Throttle = 11.2V 14.5A 165W
100% Throttle = 10.4V 22.7A 244W

With a Zippy-H 2200 20C and Corsair 3-blade prop:
50% Throttle = 11.0V 18.5A 207W
100% Throttle = 10.5V 25.5A 275W

With a Rhino 2250 25C and stock prop:
50% Throttle = 11.7V 17.6A 208W
100% Throttle = 11.2V 26.0A 303W

With a Rhino 2250 25C and Corsair 3-blade prop:
50% Throttle = 11.6V 19.3A 228W
100% Throttle = 11.2V 28.0A 320W

Also I rigged up a crude weight scale to the tail of the plane....

The 2 blade stock prop at WOT seems to pull ~820g (1 3/4 lbs) where as the 3-blade prop at WOT pulled ~920g (2 lbs). So I don't expect the same vertical performance with the 2 blade.

I've only flown the 3-blade prop so far with this motor.. but next time I go out I will be trying the stock prop on it. Should be a little quicker and a little more flight time.

Toppers
Toppers is online now Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:30 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Yeah, my low rates are at 70% with about 35% expo. Makes for some docile flying. When I get her up a bit I'll switch over to high rates and whip her around. Then back to low rates to land.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem