HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
426 Posts
I like to fly my trojan with CG at 2.25 to 2.5 that flys best for me. Battery is way back near the receiver with the canopy bottom cut to allow that.
Today I put 4 strips of lead weights in my Trojan to make it fly like a warplane so it weighed 41oz. I am practicing for my heavy twin engine B-25. I used a Power 10 to pull the weight. I came in at half throttle and was going a little fast about a foot above the runway. Cut throttle completely about half way down the runway and settled in perfect. So the plane flys ok at 41oz. I was afraid I might destroy it. I think I am ready for the 8lb. BH B-25 now. Wing cube loading matches a trojan at 41oz.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Oct 20, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:56 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg
Yeah, come to think of it, mine needs a good amount of down elevator to keep it level while inverted. I'm probably more nose heavy than I have been thinking...

Don't listen to me, Ted!

Here is a little slice of a video i took this morning. The plane is a mini pulse xt. right in the middle of the spec and the plane is almost set up stock(weight wise, the motor is not stock). When I roll it over it doesn't even hint of going down. And believe me I'm not a good enough pilot to make it look smooth if it did nose down hard...

Second video is my little sukhoi right out of the box. very nose heavy, notice at :32 and :44 when I roll it over, it dives at the ground. It barely glides to. Someone even commented on that!

I set up just about all my planes with the inverted test. The balsa plane specs seem to always be more accurate than the foam planes. I took one T-28 right out of the box, put in the stock battery and put it on cog sticks. came out at 1 7/8". I don't know where they get that 2.5" in the book. I like the way it flys stock(COG wise). But I needed to set up other planes the exact same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BudJava-zlU

Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26m (1 min 25 sec)
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:58 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
It ought to run well, thats a 1000w motor weighing in at 5.6oz. My guess is it's asking to put out a lot more! Shoot a video sometime!
I sure will! I took a video of a friend flying it but, I have a cheap $100 video camera and after about 2 seconds (literally) you can't see it against the clouds. It's still very fun to have unlimited vertical and then go WOT and accelerate while climbing straight up!

I gave away my stock PZ motor to a friend I fly with (hey he needed the motor) so I can't weigh it but, doesn't the stock motor weigh 5oz. ? I think I remember weighing one at 140g but, can't remember exactly. The Hyperion isn't that much heavier than the stock IMO and the 2100mAh packs helps compensate for the 1-2oz. or so of extra nose weight.

Anyway, I'll try to talk my buddy into bringing out his HD camera and we'll set it to infinite so maybe it'll keep the plane in focus up to around 2k feet. We are waiting for the clouds to drop to 2k', he loves going into the clouds and bringing it back through.

I'll try to salvage what I can from the crappy cam and get it posted.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Last edited by Buzzkill2; Oct 20, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:23 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Here's a video we took with a 11x8APCe.

Sorry for the crappy video quality and all the talking but, I think you'd all have to agree we were having a LOT of fun! Jim starts with a nice slow take-off and starts to go vertical at about 33 seconds. The WOT pass wasn't actually WOT, Jim was trying to make his P51 look better LOL! Look for the glints on the silver paint, it helps tell wher it's at both in the video and in real life.

Hopefully we'll get the better video camera out soon with the 12x8 on it.

Hyperion 3020-08, PZ T28, 60a ESC, 3S 2100mAh Hyperion CX, 11x8APCe (5 min 53 sec)
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:31 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,376 Posts
I am amazed!

I normally fly helicopters and don't fly airplanes much because they are more difficult for me (this one is an exception).

I just put one of these together.

It took about 15 minutes to put it together, and about the same to change the plug on the speed control and the battery over to Deans (because everything else I have in this size uses Deans).

It flew beautifully, with very little trim. I put four flights on it late this afternoon and am incredibly impressed!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:36 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2
doesn't the stock motor weigh 5oz. ? I think I remember weighing one at 140g but, can't remember exactly.
3.5oz, same as the gold turnigy 35-36c.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:42 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
3.5oz, same as the gold turnigy 35-36c.
Thanks for the info!

I can definitely live with the extra 59g.

I'll do my best to get a good video of it in action. the crappy vid my camera took is barely watchable, even for me.

I may go 4S on this motor just for the fun of it. I'm only drawing around 60a WOT with the 12x8 so a 10x10 or 10x8 on a 4S would really make this thing sing at I would imagine the 900watt range.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:00 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
577 Posts
Picked one of these up and flew it yesterday for the first time at Kite Hill and it flies just awesome. I'm thinking of adding the Flaps as everyone I've seen has them cut in, but my current controller doesn't have that capability. As soon as my new controller gets her I'll be cutting in the Flaps.
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,147 Posts
Might have killed a battery today. Was flying at lunch and had a couple people stop by and talk about the plane. While talking I replaced a battery without first checking the voltage as I usually do. Was certain I had charge all my packs, but must have missed one. Started pulsing after about 5 minutes. I have my timer set for 8. Bring it in and check the voltage and the cells are at about 3.45 each. Must have flown it for 8 minutes last time and then another 5 today. Was flying pretty hard in a bit of a breeze.
I've never had a pack below 3.7 per cell, anyone know if this one is likely to come back?
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Oct 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem
Might have killed a battery today. Was flying at lunch and had a couple people stop by and talk about the plane. While talking I replaced a battery without first checking the voltage as I usually do. Was certain I had charge all my packs, but must have missed one. Started pulsing after about 5 minutes. I have my timer set for 8. Bring it in and check the voltage and the cells are at about 3.45 each. Must have flown it for 8 minutes last time and then another 5 today. Was flying pretty hard in a bit of a breeze.
I've never had a pack below 3.7 per cell, anyone know if this one is likely to come back?
What brand is it?
You'll be fine. 3.45=10.35v you should be fine.
How much capacity did you put back in the pack?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:19 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2
What brand is it?
You'll be fine. 3.45=10.35v you should be fine.
How much capacity did you put back in the pack?

Haven't recharged it yet. Flew at lunch.

It's a Rhino 1750 mAh pack.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:50 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,708 Posts
Belem,
I have one of those Rhino 1750s, and I have a bunch of turnigy 1800s. I can fly the Turnigy's for 6-7 minutes on my set up no problem. They go down to about 3.7 volts per cell. But if I fly that Rhino 1750 for just six minutes of mixed, mostly mid and low throttle with a few WOT bursts, the pack is down to 9.8-10 volts!

I just don't get it, other than that its a cheap battery. Twice now I've put over 1700 mah back into it! I keep thinking its done after this kind of (mis)treatment, but somehow it lives on....

In other news, I've been flying with my 35-36c and a 10x7 APC E prop. I LOVE this combo! The top speed seems greatly improved over the 11x7, everything seems to stay a bit cooler, it doesn't break props every other time I land on concrete, and it still goes straight up until its a tiny speck!

With the 11x7 I was melting the solder on the yellow wire from the motor every 4-5 flights or so. The 10x7 seems to have cured that...
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 21, 2009, 07:10 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,147 Posts
I've had great luck with these packs so far. I typically set the timer for 8 minutes of mixed flying and bring them down with ~11.3v in the pack. I've never pushed them further than that until today.
I'll throw it on the charger and give it a slow charge. Was just shocked to see the 3.44 as I've never gone below 3.7 in the past.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 07:43 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
2,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem
I've had great luck with these packs so far. I typically set the timer for 8 minutes of mixed flying and bring them down with ~11.3v in the pack. I've never pushed them further than that until today.
I'll throw it on the charger and give it a slow charge. Was just shocked to see the 3.44 as I've never gone below 3.7 in the past.
Hi Belem,

Don't worry about it, I've accidently taken a Turnigy 2200 down to 8.7v and it recovered fine. I kept a close eye on it for a few cycles but it's still fine today.

I also took 1 cell on a 1500 Zippy down to 2.2v and after careful rebalancing, that's been fine too.

Just keep a close eye on them when charging and for a few cycles after.

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers
Hi Belem,

Don't worry about it, I've accidently taken a Turnigy 2200 down to 8.7v and it recovered fine. I kept a close eye on it for a few cycles but it's still fine today.

I also took 1 cell on a 1500 Zippy down to 2.2v and after careful rebalancing, that's been fine too.

Just keep a close eye on them when charging and for a few cycles after.

Toppers
Yes, we all try to avoid bringing the pack back with less than 20% but stuff happens like the flight is in wind that requires more throttle or you are simply in full show off mode with your gasser buddies. Next thing you know is you hit LVC. I have only done it once this flying season and it was last Sunday. The battery charger (a Cellpro 4S) went into restore mode and it recharged. However, I know the battery lost a few of it lives (like a cat with 9 lives).
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member