HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:17 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage
Thank you and the original poster- saved me a lot of $$ on motor replacememt. I have a T28 and am ordering an F4 with flaps from Orion. Drinks all around!
drink up then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANOTHER,,,, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:45 PM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY
2cents. Youre absolutely correct that we dont push our shafts, on the 3536 anyways I do believe that the setup is stronger and less susceptible to damage.

This is a valid point, I use this motor in almost all of my planes now. Except the Brio, it still has the Park 480 but I will replace it with a 3536 if the motor goes bad. I usually order a couple extra shafts when ordering motors. I use this in my three Electrifly planes, Reactor Bipe, Edge 540 and P47D. All work well. Some with the stock bolt on shaft and others I reversed. Depends on what you want to do and how much space you have.

One other lesson learned though...if using the a stock ESC, get some insurance with an external BEC. I have lost three planes and the last one by the grace of God did not hit any property or people. It stopped responding and flew a 1/2 mile away before crashing into the ground. Worst feeling the world.
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:22 AM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
726 Posts
I knew I saw this somewhere one the site before. I just couldn't find it again.

Thanks Fixxen2fly

Quote:
cgage, check this out and you will understand

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5569
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
Joined Sep 2006
370 Posts
I'm not too comfortable with the way the wing is mounted. I think it needs some extra insurance against popping off during high negative-G maneuvers.

Any ideas?!?
FlyinLo is offline Find More Posts by FlyinLo
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:30 AM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLo
I'm not too comfortable with the way the wing is mounted. I think it needs some extra insurance against popping off during high negative-G maneuvers.

Any ideas?!?
I put a fine bead of hot glue around my wing saddle on my Trojans and my Corsair. It holds great but can be sliced and removed easily without any damage if needed.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:50 AM
Joined Sep 2006
370 Posts
I'll keep that in mind, but for now I would like to be able to remove it easily after I fly.
FlyinLo is offline Find More Posts by FlyinLo
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:53 AM
Tennessee
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
On the last crash, I tore the front half-off just in back of the fire wall. i foam glued it but it looks like its going to break again. I was thinking of drilling two 1/4" holes starting at the firewall and going straight back for about 8". Then insert 1/4" wooden dowel rods soaked with either ca or 30 min epoxy. These reinforcemnets would be on the left and on the right sides of the canopy.
Any better ideas?
Edit: I just saw someone use bamboo skewers instead of dowels to reinforce a SC
cgage is offline Find More Posts by cgage
Last edited by cgage; Oct 20, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
Quote:
I put a fine bead of hot glue around my wing saddle on my Trojans and my Corsair. It holds great but can be sliced and removed easily without any damage if needed.
I used clear packing tape as extra insurance on my T28.

Worked so far.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Successful Maiden!

I finally got the chance to maiden the T-28 today after putting some extra colours on it to help with visual orientation (see attached images). It was pretty grey and miserable so no video but the maiden itself was successful. A few of my belly landings were a little hard but all in all a good flights.

I programmed a launch mode as suggested in the thread, wound up the motor to a reasonable speed and gave her a good throw. Woohoo, away she went. I initially forgot to change back to flight mode and struggled to keep it from pitching up. When I realised my mistake it was a little easier to fly but there is still a slight tendancy for the nose to pitch up. I flew some circuits and figure eights regardless and then brought her in to land on some long grass. First time I missed and ran her straight into a bank of nettles but it was a soft landing at least. I had a few more goes and managed to get it at least somewhere near where I wanted it to land.

I really enjoyed the flight and the model seems robust enough to stand up to my beginners mistakes. Great fun. An wow, I will be able to get some great flight times, she seems pretty easy going on the battery and ESC so it looks like I will be able to use my batteries that are no longer quite up to par in the 400 for the T-28.

So from the maiden I have few questions....

Should I adjust CofG to stop it pitching up as all control surfaces appear to me to be level? When I setup my helis I try not use any trim as though it will correct odd flight characteristics upright as soon as you turn the bird inverted it all goes to hell. Is true of plane setup as well? I can only assume so.

Any landing tips? Is there any threads you guys know where the finer points of a soft belly landing are discussed?
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:30 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Finally found what I feel is the perfect motor for my T28. I've installed a Hyperion 3020-08, 60A ESC and a 11x8 prop. Power is wicked and all components come down cool all on a 25C 3S. Outruns (both level and vertical) my buddies 4S P-51 with a Hacker A30.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:43 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
726 Posts
Anyone know of a Orange Spray Paint that matches the T-28?
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:45 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2
Finally found what I feel is the perfect motor for my T28. I've installed a Hyperion 3020-08, 60A ESC and a 11x8 prop. Power is wicked and all components come down cool all on a 25C 3S. Outruns (both level and vertical) my buddies 4S P-51 with a Hacker A30.
It ought to run well, thats a 1000w motor weighing in at 5.6oz. My guess is it's asking to put out a lot more! Shoot a video sometime!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:58 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
Ted,
I've found on my T-28 that carving out some foam and moving the battery forward a bit helped with the balance.

Instead of using a lot of trim, try adjusting the control rod length. So for the elevator, undo the clasp that holds the rod to the control horn, and then give the clasp a few turns in.

Start with maybe four or five turns and see where that gets you, I've found that just a few turns goes a long way! I have mine adjusted like this and it flies great, straight and level at almost all power settings. And I haven't touched the trim.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 20, 2009, 03:22 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwearsahat
Should I adjust CofG to stop it pitching up as all control surfaces appear to me to be level? When I setup my helis I try not use any trim as though it will correct odd flight characteristics upright as soon as you turn the bird inverted it all goes to hell. Is true of plane setup as well? I can only assume so.
You need to check the COG. put the battery in, canopy on, just like you are going to fly. I and others like the COG around 1 7/8" back frm the leading edge, 1" out from the fuse. Turn the plane upside down to check, use your thumb nails at least to get a good idea. Plane should lay flat. On a plane whan balanced and perfectly trimmed, it should fly inverted with just a light touch of down elevator. I have a mid wing Su-26m(totally different plane though), that will fly a couple hundred feet inverted without touching the Tx. You could probably make the t-28 do that with COG but it might put it to far back. Also fly straight and level(perfect trim) at WOT then cut the power, the plane should hold it level for some time. If it noses over its nose heavy. Most planes are flying nose heavy, and they fly fine that way until you invert them.

check that COG to be sure.

good luck,
Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 20, 2009, 03:49 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
Yeah, come to think of it, mine needs a good amount of down elevator to keep it level while inverted. I'm probably more nose heavy than I have been thinking...

Don't listen to me, Ted!
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg