SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2009, 11:15 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Looking real good. You just need something to light up the nose so you can easily tell when it's coming toward you. On my night flyer I use one set of hat lights pointing forward so you could tell the plan was coming at you or not.

Bill
Yep it's a work in progress. I may gut what I have and see what I can do from scratch using an external battery or the Rx power if the draw isn't to much. I actually flew it at dusk yesterday. The plane flew fine and the lights were glowing, but to get the full effect of the lights, it needs to be dark, like an hour after sundown. Need to put something on the bottom to, I'm playing with my belly lander so I have to take that into consideration.

We left before it was really dark...we have these little bugs called mosquitoes down here, no Off so they ran us off. Before that we had a bunch of visitors from the burger place, that's always fun.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2009
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmat
Ok here is my problem and maybe someone can tell me how to fix it.
The steering arm that the little screw goes threw has cracked, so I can't tighten the screw to lock down the front wheel.
Anyone ever have this problem?

Thanks
Tommy

I had to buy a new steering arm. I then cut out the foam on the bottom of the fuselage just behind the firewall to install it as it will not fit into the plastic firewall from the front. I then glued the piece of foam back in place.
ecfarr is offline Find More Posts by ecfarr
Old May 07, 2009, 10:25 AM
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,651 Posts
Why do they bother with the pushrod sleeves on these planes? If anything, there is way more friction of the pushrod in the sleeve than the sleeve against the fuselage of the plane. This means the sleeve basically moves with the pushrod and offers little or no benefit. The nosewheel pushrod on my T-28 (#2) is extremely stiff in the sleeve - so much so that if the sleeve were secured in place, the servo would not be able to move any more.

Rob
Rob_G is offline Find More Posts by Rob_G
Old May 07, 2009, 11:38 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2008
124 Posts
Is there any one using any items like these skids or any other alternative's to duct

I have been using these for wing skids in the past. I wanted to try my plane with out any gear, and just wanted an alternative to tape.
I just mounted an additional 4 skids on the belly of my T-28. I placed them in the area's that would have the highest points of contact and still keep the the plane balanced with all 4 units making an equal contact. 3 flights today, worked very well on landing's. There are 3 other skids from HC that are a little larger, I want to try these also. I will be ordering the 3 additional sizes and post the results with the new skids when they get here next week.
Is there any one using any items like these skids or any other alternative's to duct tape on the belly of a plane.

Fly Safe n' enjoy

Al
Wing Skids 28x10x12mm (10pcs)

Wing Skids 28x10x12mm (10pcs)
Can be used for tail skids also, in place of a wheel.
RoadKingAl is offline Find More Posts by RoadKingAl
Old May 07, 2009, 11:54 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
I'm thinking back when I was flying Cessnas, we turned on final at about 500', maybe 3/4 to a mile out. rate of decent was probably around 500' per minute. So never once were we trying to fly level on final. Always decending. You just sort of knew where to turn on final by local roads, your home airport, etc. If you started to come up short you would add some throttle and pull the nose up a bit. If you tried to pull the nose up without more throttle, stall. Then once over the landing threshold, we would cut most of the power, again depending on conditions, headwind, etc. About 10-15' up give or take you'd start the flare. If you over flared you'd get the dolphin jump which isn't pretty. There was always folks hanging around so if you did this you'd have to touch and go so that wouldn't be the last thing they'd remember. Trying to think back, I believe a touch-n-go circuit took about 1/10 of an hour. Stall speed on the 150 was about 58mph if recall, the runway was about 4,000'.

In theory, they should all be the same. Either way I've botched to many landing the old way, this way is working a lot better. Keep some thorttle on, pick a spot on the ground and aim for it. On the other hand, if it ain't broke(your landings), don't fix it.
You are showing your age!
Sounds right, no flaps! 48 at 40 degrees. 152 has only 30 degrees, and measures in knots.
I missed the 150s, cause when you went to 40 degrees, it would drag in.

Test my memory:

Reduce to 1700 rpm when abreast of threshold. pull back while decelerating w/o climbing.
70mph, 10 flaps.
Turn base, mid base to 20 degrees.
Turn final, go to 30 or 40. I would go 30, 40 short of threshold before flaring.
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old May 07, 2009, 12:28 PM
BANDITRCN28
USA, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2008
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G
Why do they bother with the pushrod sleeves on these planes? If anything, there is way more friction of the pushrod in the sleeve than the sleeve against the fuselage of the plane. This means the sleeve basically moves with the pushrod and offers little or no benefit. The nosewheel pushrod on my T-28 (#2) is extremely stiff in the sleeve - so much so that if the sleeve were secured in place, the servo would not be able to move any more.

Rob
Those are not really sleeves, they are there to stiffen the push rod so it does not bend because of the length of the push rod and the thickness of the pushrod...

CVOYLES
cvoyles is offline Find More Posts by cvoyles
Old May 07, 2009, 01:54 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas
You are showing your age!
Sounds right, no flaps! 48 at 40 degrees. 152 has only 30 degrees, and measures in knots.
I missed the 150s, cause when you went to 40 degrees, it would drag in.

Test my memory:

Reduce to 1700 rpm when abreast of threshold. pull back while decelerating w/o climbing.
70mph, 10 flaps.
Turn base, mid base to 20 degrees.
Turn final, go to 30 or 40. I would go 30, 40 short of threshold before flaring.
49 and holding!! These were all 150's. Heck most of the Skylanes, Skyhawks, 150's, etc you see at airports were born in the 50's, 60's, 70's. I remember $13,000 152's, just a dream! What is a 172, 200k plus now? for new?

A plane was $15 an hour (including gas), instructor was about $10 an hour.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old May 07, 2009, 07:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
49 and holding!! These were all 150's. Heck most of the Skylanes, Skyhawks, 150's, etc you see at airports were born in the 50's, 60's, 70's. I remember $13,000 152's, just a dream! What is a 172, 200k plus now? for new?

it's costing me $125 an hour, but my dad is my free instructor
I am getting a 150 on full flap with light head wind down to 35-40 on landing.
benovsoff is offline Find More Posts by benovsoff
Old May 07, 2009, 08:58 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
well for those that think this plane is a trainer let me tell ya a story...

At SEFF, Corsair Nut flew my T-28 and I flew the corsair... he chased me around the parkflyer area in a knife edge and then did a knife edge loop... no joke... I nearly crashed watching him!!

This plane rocks!!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old May 08, 2009, 12:57 AM
Hawaiian Islands
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
That is pretty good to be able to fly around like that on a knife edge. My friend and I were just talking about this and how difficult a time we are having doing slow knife edge passes and how much altitude we are losing while doing it. We know it takes some severe rudder input to do it, but we are trying to think if the built in dihedral on the wing is making it more difficult than it should be. thoughts besides more stick time???
nukemustang is offline Find More Posts by nukemustang
Old May 08, 2009, 07:28 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemustang
That is pretty good to be able to fly around like that on a knife edge. My friend and I were just talking about this and how difficult a time we are having doing slow knife edge passes and how much altitude we are losing while doing it. We know it takes some severe rudder input to do it, but we are trying to think if the built in dihedral on the wing is making it more difficult than it should be. thoughts besides more stick time???
There is a GREAT video somewhere back in the 500 plus posts of a guy doing some serious acro with his Trojan. And it was stock IIRC! See if you can find it and cite the post# for all who are interested. Well worth watching!

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old May 08, 2009, 10:39 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:

Clark AFB Philippines, 1974. Instructor $5.00, C-150 $7.50
Affordable!
Old May 08, 2009, 10:45 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benovsoff
it's costing me $125 an hour, but my dad is my free instructor
I am getting a 150 on full flap with light head wind down to 35-40 on landing.
CAREFULLY try this!

Dont do this with gust factor present!

I would drag in, nose high, 40 degrees flap, mid throttle, VERY SLOW.
Touch down threshold, suck up flaps, Idle throttle.
Keep all back pressure while flaps go up increase til you are full weight on wheels, brakes, no skid, nosewheel shock all but bottomed out.
Got told to not do that anymore at the club. But I was full stop in 250 to 300 feet!
Old May 08, 2009, 12:39 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemustang
I would say more stick time...I can KE but only in a straight line...Corsair Nut would be better to ask as I couldnt get away from him!!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old May 09, 2009, 11:08 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046980
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart