HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2009, 01:48 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I've read some stuff a while ago on this site about landing - it was probably in the beginner section, because I remember when I first tried it out on my Super Cub.

When landing, you want to first slow to the flight speed you want. This will involve a little back stick and pull the throttle back (the posting I read actually talked about changing the trim to a landing configuration). You want to be on speed (should be slightly nose up) at a constant altitude.

When lined up on the runway, control your rate of descent with only your throttle. Reduce throttle to speed up descent, increase throttle to decrease it. You really should not be adjusting your pitch at all. So for a smooth landing, you don't pull the nose up for flair, but rather a slight burst of throttle.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2009, 01:52 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benovsoff
my does love to roll far on paved ground.
Remember your T-28 is equipped with a brake if you are about to hit a curb or something. Crank the rudder full left or right, the plane will tip on 2 wheels and stop quickly. Ahh but won't that scratch up the foam...not with a couple of perfectly places thumb tacks or the wing tip protectors you can get at your LHS.

This move has save me from smacking a curb a time or 2.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old May 04, 2009, 02:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
Remember your T-28 is equipped with a brake if you are about to hit a curb or something. Crank the rudder full left or right, the plane will tip on 2 wheels and stop quickly. Ahh but won't that scratch up the foam...not with a couple of perfectly places thumb tacks or the wing tip protectors you can get at your LHS.

This move has save me from smacking a curb a time or 2.
I don't have nose wheel steering
benovsoff is offline Find More Posts by benovsoff
Old May 04, 2009, 02:58 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
When lined up on the runway, control your rate of descent with only your throttle. Reduce throttle to speed up descent, increase throttle to decrease it. You really should not be adjusting your pitch at all. So for a smooth landing, you don't pull the nose up for flair, but rather a slight burst of throttle.
I'm thinking back when I was flying Cessnas, we turned on final at about 500', maybe 3/4 to a mile out. rate of decent was probably around 500' per minute. So never once were we trying to fly level on final. Always decending. You just sort of knew where to turn on final by local roads, your home airport, etc. If you started to come up short you would add some throttle and pull the nose up a bit. If you tried to pull the nose up without more throttle, stall. Then once over the landing threshold, we would cut most of the power, again depending on conditions, headwind, etc. About 10-15' up give or take you'd start the flare. If you over flared you'd get the dolphin jump which isn't pretty. There was always folks hanging around so if you did this you'd have to touch and go so that wouldn't be the last thing they'd remember. Trying to think back, I believe a touch-n-go circuit took about 1/10 of an hour. Stall speed on the 150 was about 58mph if recall, the runway was about 4,000'.

In theory, they should all be the same. Either way I've botched to many landing the old way, this way is working a lot better. Keep some thorttle on, pick a spot on the ground and aim for it. On the other hand, if it ain't broke(your landings), don't fix it.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old May 04, 2009, 03:12 PM
LHS Supporter.....
United States, VA, Springfield
Joined May 2009
52 Posts
I have the flaperons, but am considering cutting actual flaps. It makes sense that the air near the wingtip would be unstable without a wing-let, so having it more near the fuse would at least give a predictable response vs the tip vortex spilling further up the wing and disrupting lift.

just my .2

Chris
Chris2087 is offline Find More Posts by Chris2087
Old May 04, 2009, 03:43 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Flaps work great, are easy to install, and are a lot of fun. At SEFF we had some pretty good winds in the afternoon, so I was flying my T-28 Harrier!!!

It really slows it down nice for landing, and allows for very short roll outs.
Old May 04, 2009, 06:24 PM
Gettin Back Into RC
Winnfield,La.
Joined Feb 2009
224 Posts
Ok here is my problem and maybe someone can tell me how to fix it.
The steering arm that the little screw goes threw has cracked, so I can't tighten the screw to lock down the front wheel.
Anyone ever have this problem?

Thanks
Tommy
tmat is offline Find More Posts by tmat
Old May 04, 2009, 06:27 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmat
The steering arm that the little screw goes threw has cracked, so I can't tighten the screw to lock down the front wheel.

Thanks
Tommy
Hmmmm that could be a problem indeed. Havent come across that one yet, have to do some thinking on that.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old May 04, 2009, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmat

Thanks
Tommy
Yes I have. Mine has never ever fixed, and in the end it go the better of me. I just glued the nose wsill straight, and problem solved.
Old May 04, 2009, 07:02 PM
cjg
"Pull up, pull up!"
Vermillion, SD
Joined Jan 2006
454 Posts
Take it all apart, and put superglue into the bolt hole on the cracked arm. Blow the excess out, you only want to coat the threads. When it hardens put it all back together and rethread carefully without overtightening. Worked fine on mine, and no problems since.
cjg is offline Find More Posts by cjg
Old May 04, 2009, 07:05 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Or you buy a new steering knuckle for $2.
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4408
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old May 04, 2009, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
I bought a new one, but it did not go on it.
Old May 04, 2009, 07:49 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
They sell the new steering knuckle, but you can't get it in unless you tear into the foam.

What folks have done (including myself but I got the idea from others here) is to get a Dubro 5/32" steering arm that has the brass threads. You will also need a small section of brass or aluminum 5/32" tubing. Put the section of tubing into the arm, with a small hole for the screw.

You will need to cut the old arm out - I used a Dremel with a small cone bit to grind it away.

When you get the old arm out, the new one will slide right in fine. Do a search - there was a good bit on this on this thread a couple months ago. Picture even...
Old May 04, 2009, 08:37 PM
Gettin Back Into RC
Winnfield,La.
Joined Feb 2009
224 Posts
Thanks guys for the info,I will see what I can find.
tmat is offline Find More Posts by tmat
Old May 04, 2009, 09:58 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
Thanks guys, not sure when I'll get to test it. They are pretty small so I don't think it will affect the flight at all. I'd also like to try and get something on the nose. And eventually wire it wi the Rx if I want to make a real go at it. The LED's had a reflector to help direct the light, it doesn't seem to make much difference and I like seeing the wing tips. I also wonder how much light it would take to put something inside the fuse, and make it glow from the inside...interesting!

Here is a little video I made, first part is in the garage, then you'll see it cut to an outside pic where I back up some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aYtumGY1Pw

Looking real good. You just need something to light up the nose so you can easily tell when it's coming toward you. On my night flyer I use one set of hat lights pointing forward so you could tell the plan was coming at you or not.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member