HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2009, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpook
Outboard flaps not only aren't very effective, but really increase the likelihood of a tip stall. I've found flaperons to be extremely ineffective on the T-28....while spoilerons are absolutely wonderful. If you need to shorten your landing distance, and don't wanna cut inboard flaps, then program spoilers in.

I tried spoilerons before and they did not seem to have a slowing effect either. I do notice the T-28's tendancy to tipstall with flapperons.
wonginator1221 is offline Find More Posts by wonginator1221
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2009, 09:40 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benovsoff
they were going down and at 50%
That would be flaperons. Spoilerons are with both ailerons going up.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old May 03, 2009, 09:47 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
From some previous posts I'm playing around with some lights for the T-28. The little 5 led cap lights work nice. Another interesting thing is these work off the quarter size batteries(6 volt). But they also work off the Rx power, 5 volts, for some reason they even seem brighter.

These shine on the fuse from the wing tips. I used a soldering iron to melt in a hole batteries. Just some tape to hold them together.

For the canopy, I remove the pilot and seat, painted the gray interior white and laid in the light pack. I put a piece of foil tap in the top of the canopy to reflect it down. Might be enough. Might work better to move the ones shining on the tail to the wing, hear the fuse. Might be enough. I don't think I need any on the bottom. I won't be getting to crazy. Next to test flight during the day to see how it controls.

Few pics. It's a little crude, but hey it will be dark!
Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old May 03, 2009, 10:05 PM
Joined Apr 2009
12 Posts
Hey thanks for the shoulder to cry on. I went ahead and ordered from Horizon Hobby. I will preflight next time.
flymike001 is offline Find More Posts by flymike001
Old May 03, 2009, 10:49 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpook
That would be flaperons. Spoilerons are with both ailerons going up.
which works better?
benovsoff is offline Find More Posts by benovsoff
Old May 03, 2009, 11:39 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
From my experience, spoilers do, on this plane. With flaperons, it really likes to get sluggish and want to tip stall. Also, don't expect it to slow down the plane too much, especially with differential mixed in, if you want to keep some sort of roll control. 15 degrees or so should be plenty to help slow the plane down.

And keep in mind that spoilers will help the plane sink, unlike flaps, which help produce lift.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old May 03, 2009, 11:58 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
From some previous posts I'm playing around with some lights for the T-28. The little 5 led cap lights work nice. Another interesting thing is these work off the quarter size batteries(6 volt). But they also work off the Rx power, 5 volts, for some reason they even seem brighter.

These shine on the fuse from the wing tips. I used a soldering iron to melt in a hole batteries. Just some tape to hold them together.

For the canopy, I remove the pilot and seat, painted the gray interior white and laid in the light pack. I put a piece of foil tap in the top of the canopy to reflect it down. Might be enough. Might work better to move the ones shining on the tail to the wing, hear the fuse. Might be enough. I don't think I need any on the bottom. I won't be getting to crazy. Next to test flight during the day to see how it controls.

Rob
I like it! Next is some nightflying video.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old May 04, 2009, 05:07 AM
another damned tree!
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2007
235 Posts
Quote:

Rob

MY LIKES! ! !
datsfubar is offline Find More Posts by datsfubar
Old May 04, 2009, 05:09 AM
another damned tree!
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2007
235 Posts
Get some night video when you're done robj! !
Old May 04, 2009, 08:53 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
I like it! Next is some nightflying video.
Thanks guys, not sure when I'll get to test it. They are pretty small so I don't think it will affect the flight at all. I'd also like to try and get something on the nose. And eventually wire it wi the Rx if I want to make a real go at it. The LED's had a reflector to help direct the light, it doesn't seem to make much difference and I like seeing the wing tips. I also wonder how much light it would take to put something inside the fuse, and make it glow from the inside...interesting!

Here is a little video I made, first part is in the garage, then you'll see it cut to an outside pic where I back up some.

Parkzone T-28 with lights - testing (2 min 8 sec)
Old May 04, 2009, 09:21 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benovsoff
even then there still wasn't a change in airspeed, just control
Hi Again,

Glad the setup makes sense now. Spoilerons work for me, I found the flaperons did nothing useful. I like to control landing altitude with throttle and without the spolierons I can't get a reasonable 'sink' rate... the T28 just kept floating and I ran out of park too easily.

With spoilerons, a reasonable landing 'sink' and flair seem far easier.

Having said that, yesterday I was coming in too slow and stalled from about 5 or 6', and banged the nose gear. Now I get to try the nose gear re-build / reinforcement many have discussed !!

Flymike, sorry to hear of the reversal problem... I did exactly that with my Supercub aileron wing maiden. Maiden lasted all of 3 seconds... seemed like it was possessed. A hard lesson to learn but at least foam mostly bounces

Even with a DX6i, I double check all control surfaces before takeoff. I used to just check for servo movement, now I double check that the deflections are correct (usually has me twisting my body or sholders, trying to visualize the impact to the plan arounf the CofG ).
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old May 04, 2009, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers
Hi Again,

Glad the setup makes sense now. Spoilerons work for me, I found the flaperons did nothing useful. I like to control landing altitude with throttle and without the spolierons I can't get a reasonable 'sink' rate... the T28 just kept floating and I ran out of park too easily.

Having said that, yesterday I was coming in too slow and stalled from about 5 or 6', and banged the nose gear. Now I get to try the nose gear re-build / reinforcement many have discussed !!

Flymike, sorry to hear of the reversal problem... I did exactly that with my Supercub aileron wing maiden. Maiden lasted all of 3 seconds... seemed like it was possessed. A hard lesson to learn but at least foam mostly bounces

Even with a DX6i, I double check all control surfaces before takeoff. I used to just check for servo movement, now I double check that the deflections are correct (usually has me twisting my body or sholders, trying to visualize the impact to the plan arounf the CofG ).
thanks. My flaps have not done anything at all, except make my plane lose control and without ailerons to recover. the next time I fly, I will try the spoilerons. the flaps kinda made my plane sink, and without them I overshot my runway every time.
Old May 04, 2009, 12:36 PM
another damned tree!
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2007
235 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, not sure when I'll get to test it. They are pretty small so I don't think it will affect the flight at all. I'd also like to try and get something on the nose. And eventually wire it wi the Rx if I want to make a real go at it. The LED's had a reflector to help direct the light, it doesn't seem to make much difference and I like seeing the wing tips. I also wonder how much light it would take to put something inside the fuse, and make it glow from the inside...interesting!

Here is a little video I made, first part is in the garage, then you'll see it cut to an outside pic where I back up some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aYtumGY1Pw

KOOL!
Old May 04, 2009, 01:17 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers
Hi Again,

the T28 just kept floating and I ran out of park too easily.

This why I'm re-learning how to land. Actually with RC I was never formally instructed. Having a plane touch down at walking speed, or real slow, is tricky at best unless you have some decent head winds. Now my planes with no gear, this works fine(the float, float). I sort of bunny hop it and want the tail to hit first. My video is a few pages back shows this.

But I'm tired of trying to float in with gear on which in a lot of cases means nose up. You lose wind, nose up a bit to much, and stall. I've been working on concrete the last week to re-learn. I come in much higher, nose down, and stay on that nose down angle. Then right above the deck, a little up elevator and it's just as smooth as can be. Depending on the wind or if I'm using flaps, my touch down speed may vary. On concrete I may roll out 50' or less. On grass the planes stop quickly. I don't have to reprogram anything(ok that takes away some of the fun ), tip stalls, etc. And I must say it looks better comming in on a string than a dolphin run trying to keep the plane in the air. I also noticed my approaches are shorter because of the line I'm taking. Also this is a BIG plus in high winds. We were playing in 15-20 last weekend. In the old days you are floating along fine until the gusts are gone and you stall. But this keeps the speed up and less chance of a stall. Yes we were fighting it with the ailerons some, that's normal, but just off the ground you usually get some calm air...touch down! Home safe again!

Dunno, just me, I was always worried about comming in to fast, not anymore. Yall should give it a try. It's really helped me a lot.

Rob
Old May 04, 2009, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
my does love to roll far on paved ground.