HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2009, 09:05 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjj
Hi guys, I'm about to get a trojan pnp. Does it come with ec3 connectors on the esc?
Thanks
Yes.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2009, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers
Hi again,

OK.

1. Get the aileron servos connected to AILE (right) and AUX1 (left) on the RX.

2. In the TX menu, on the ADJUST LIST, go to FLAPS and click select. Now highlight the cell for FLAP on the LAND row (bottom left numbers). Now roll the selector left or right to the desired setting (eg I am using right 60). If you roll right, you will see a ^ (up) arrow and the ailerons will now both deflect upwards when the FLAP switch is put to down (1) position. Since the ailerons are both being moved upwards by this switch they are now acting as 'spoilerons' when the switch is activated. Normal aileron movements from the right stick still functions (on top of the spoileron neutral or landing setting).

If you rolled the selector left, you get a down arrow v and the ailerons will be moved downwards when the switch is activated. This is known as 'flaperon'.

There is no separate Flaperon or Spoileron settings on the TX, just use the FLAP settings.

Do all of this with the RX on and you can see what's happening as you program.

Any clearer ?
I have Flapperons programed on my trojan, but I don't really see any effect when landing. Should I be seeing something more significant?

Also, the other day, I was able to land the trojan on a 2.5 foot wide gravel path five times consecutively. I didn't want to test my luck any further so I packed it up and went home. I love the trojan.
wonginator1221 is offline Find More Posts by wonginator1221
Old May 02, 2009, 11:27 PM
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonginator1221
I have Flapperons programed on my trojan, but I don't really see any effect when landing. Should I be seeing something more significant?

Also, the other day, I was able to land the trojan on a 2.5 foot wide gravel path five times consecutively. I didn't want to test my luck any further so I packed it up and went home. I love the trojan.
I would not recommend the use of flaperons. I tried it once and tip stalled on my landing approach.

Rob
Rob_G is offline Find More Posts by Rob_G
Old May 03, 2009, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
I tested them today. they did not work so well. There really was no difference in speed and lift, but the only thing that DID happen was when I flipped the flap switch, my plane rolled right or left and came straight at me and the other flyers and their planes.
benovsoff is offline Find More Posts by benovsoff
Old May 03, 2009, 04:08 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Outboard flaps not only aren't very effective, but really increase the likelihood of a tip stall. I've found flaperons to be extremely ineffective on the T-28....while spoilerons are absolutely wonderful. If you need to shorten your landing distance, and don't wanna cut inboard flaps, then program spoilers in.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old May 03, 2009, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
that's what I did. I programmed the spoilerons, and nothing. only loss of control.
Old May 03, 2009, 07:04 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Really? No offense, but were the ailerons moving to the UP position, or DOWN? Both ailerons up act as spoilers, and both down act as flaps. Also, how much aileron differential do you have dialed in? I run with 35% differential, and still have a fair amount of control with spoilers. Keep in mind, flaperons/spoilerons will cut down the amount of aileron response you have. Also, you should use ailerons as little as possible on landing approach, and try to use rudder for course correction. Not always possible, especially when it's windy, but it cuts the chance for tip stalling and ripping a wing off.
Old May 03, 2009, 07:33 PM
Joined Apr 2009
12 Posts
I just smashed my T28 on it's maiden flight. I programed my tx wrong. Elevator controls were reversed. The plane started to go up so I applied down elevator, which was actually up elevator. So the plane went straight up in the air and then rolled and went drilling into the ground nose first. Bummer! The damage was a bent shaft, broken motor mount, prop and cowling. Now are there any tricks or tips to putting this thing back together. Do you recommend an online supplier?
flymike001 is offline Find More Posts by flymike001
Old May 03, 2009, 07:39 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
*cough www.airlandhobbies.com cough*

theve got some good prices, not sure about replacement parts, but its worth a shot. RTF planes sell cheaper than MSRP BNF....
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old May 03, 2009, 08:06 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
I went to fly my T-28 today, and take some aerobatic video. Get to the field, strap the TX around my neck, plug in the lipo, run a preflight for control surfaces, everything looks good. Stand up, get ready to hand launch, give it throttle....and I forgot to put the prop on!!! I was pretty mad.

There wasn't much daylight left, and I was determined to fly. So I tossed it around like a glider. Not all that satisfying lol.
Old May 03, 2009, 08:32 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymike001
I just smashed my T28 on it's maiden flight. I programed my tx wrong. Elevator controls were reversed. The plane started to go up so I applied down elevator, which was actually up elevator. So the plane went straight up in the air and then rolled and went drilling into the ground nose first. Bummer! The damage was a bent shaft, broken motor mount, prop and cowling. Now are there any tricks or tips to putting this thing back together. Do you recommend an online supplier?

Bummer! Glad I've never taken off with reversed controls!

All those parts should be available at your local hobby store (LHS). You may want to go ahead and get a couple motor mounts, props and cowls! They all break pretty easy. The shaft not quite so much.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old May 03, 2009, 08:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpook
Really? No offense, but were the ailerons moving to the UP position, or DOWN? Both ailerons up act as spoilers, and both down act as flaps. Also, how much aileron differential do you have dialed in? I run with 35% differential, and still have a fair amount of control with spoilers. Keep in mind, flaperons/spoilerons will cut down the amount of aileron response you have. Also, you should use ailerons as little as possible on landing approach, and try to use rudder for course correction. Not always possible, especially when it's windy, but it cuts the chance for tip stalling and ripping a wing off.
they were going down and at 50%
Old May 03, 2009, 08:35 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
even then there still wasn't a change in airspeed, just control
Old May 03, 2009, 08:49 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Wanted to do touch & gos off the water today but forgot my floats at home
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 03, 2009, 08:55 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
Bummer! Glad I've never taken off with reversed controls!

All those parts should be available at your local hobby store (LHS). You may want to go ahead and get a couple motor mounts, props and cowls! They all break pretty easy. The shaft not quite so much.
Did that once with the DX5e, just flew my Ember 2 and had the ailerons still set for the ember. It was a sort of soft crash, no major damage that coule not be glued. I was pi$$ed, just didn't take 5 seconds for a preflight. I DO NOW!! The DX6i should keep that from happening again!

I've found that most online parts places are pretty close in price. I've bought from several including Horizon Hobby. Like John said grab some spares to save on shipping and the wait next time. I almost have a parts store in my garage!!

Get her going again soon!
Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj