HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:19 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn
Looks good, John. Yea, that's why I painted mine in the Marine Colors- to be different from others. Now, how are we gonna crop your new plane into this picture and I see from a few posts back, you have a pic of Tim's Trojan too. We need to get him in on the photos too.....

See you at SEFF, Dave and I are driving down sometime Friday. We'll meet up at the Dawn Patrol banner.....

Bob, are you flying? Last I heard you were only going Saturday and not bringing anything with you. Bring your T-28 and we'll just take another pic! Hopefully she'll still be presentable by Friday! I'm heading up tomorrow at lunch, so I should be there around 3 or so. I'll find you up there.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2009, 03:36 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
One of the other things I still need to do is get some white "NAVY" decals for the fuse side. Also some various numbers.
John, the lettering on my Marine T-28 are stick- ons from the local Hardware Store. They come in 1/2, 3/4, etc, etc- all the way up to 3". Yea, sure, they're not block letters, but did you notice?
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Apr 29, 2009, 03:46 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Looks good, John. Now, how are we gonna crop your new plane into this picture and I see from a few posts back, you have a pic of Tim's Trojan too.
Oh, boy- hate to break this to you, John, but when I thought you had pics of Tim's T-28, they were YOURS......

Tim Bierbach, our resident P-3 Jock has had is T-28 painted like that since he's been coming out to the field!

(Oooops)
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:56 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Does anyone have the trailing edge plastic piece that attaches the wing to the fuse ? I had a crash, putting it back together and I need that part which I lost in the crash. I could pay for it if they sell it anywhere, should someone know about it? Thanks much, eager to get back in the air.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:18 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taekwondo
Does anyone have the trailing edge plastic piece that attaches the wing to the fuse ? I had a crash, putting it back together and I need that part which I lost in the crash. I could pay for it if they sell it anywhere, should someone know about it? Thanks much, eager to get back in the air.
Taekwondo,

I have one on a crashed wing - it's even a pretty yellow! PM me with your address and it's yours.

BUT..... I'm leaving for SEFF tomorrow straight from work, and I might not be able to get it in the mail until Monday. I can try for tomorrow, but no guarantees! I've got a lot of packing and cleaning to do tonight still... And (here's the real reason) I'm gonna be so excited tomorrow I'll most likely forget on my way out of town!

Edit: I saw on your other posts that you were looking for it, it just never clicked in my head. Like I said - I'm a bit distracted with SEFF.

Double edit: are you looking for the male piece on the wing or the female piece on the fuse???

Triple edit: I lied. It's not pretty, and it's not yellow. It is silver, with a bit of yellow. It has some epoxy on the top side, but it is in good condition. It is also in my truck, so PM me your address and I'll do my best to get it out tomorrow.
Last edited by ugly john; Apr 29, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:23 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Oh, boy- hate to break this to you, John, but when I thought you had pics of Tim's T-28, they were YOURS......

Tim Bierbach, our resident P-3 Jock has had is T-28 painted like that since he's been coming out to the field!

(Oooops)
Oh well. I tried to be original. Just like everyone else.

So, you bringing yours to SEFF? I still haven't seen it in the air.

I'll have a red EZ-up, so hopefully it will stand out from the blue ones.

Of course, being as original as I am, everyone else probably switched to red this year too!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
cool. I have some Faskolor red on the way. I kinda like the original paint scheme on it. I will probably use like a water color brush or something. Is there any thing I can spray on to preserve the paint?
benovsoff is offline Find More Posts by benovsoff
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:50 PM
United States, MN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
Yea i just used krylon primer for the grey and flat white and black. works great, wont get decals on till after seff probaly. Thanks guys
primestick is offline Find More Posts by primestick
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:33 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,957 Posts
Maybe old news, but I have to share... I'm still grinning

I took my stock T-28 out last night in what I thought would be too much wind. After waiting half an hour for the wind to die down (it did not), I gave it a try. Boy was I impressed. No battling the wind, the T28 justs cuts through it like it's not there.... absolutely fantastic. Great fun.

The spoilerons plus the wind meant I landed almost on a dime every time... easiest landing yet. And I'm far from good at landings....

LOVIN' IT !!!!
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers
Maybe old news, but I have to share... I'm still grinning

I took my stock T-28 out last night in what I thought would be too much wind. After waiting half an hour for the wind to die down (it did not), I gave it a try. Boy was I impressed. No battling the wind, the T28 justs cuts through it like it's not there.... absolutely fantastic. Great fun.

The spoilerons plus the wind meant I landed almost on a dime every time... easiest landing yet. And I'm far from good at landings....

LOVIN' IT !!!!
i am glad. how did you do spoilerons? I was thinking a quad setup like on the Mini Ultra Stick.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:12 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,957 Posts
Hi Benovsoff,

I have a DX6i radio, programmed the ailerons as flaperons (per the manual) and then adjust the setting in the opposite direction, so the ailerons go up (spoilerons) rather than down like flaps, when I flick the Flaps switch on the TX.

I originally had them set to ~20* (* = degrees) angle but that didn't do much, now using ~40* angle and they work great, allow the T28 to lose speed faster and float more. I don't know the physics behind it but it works well.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers
Hi Benovsoff,

I have a DX6i radio, programmed the ailerons as flaperons (per the manual) and then adjust the setting in the opposite direction, so the ailerons go up (spoilerons) rather than down like flaps, when I flick the Flaps switch on the TX.

I originally had them set to ~20* (* = degrees) angle but that didn't do much, now using ~40* angle and they work great, allow the T28 to lose speed faster and float more. I don't know the physics behind it but it works well.
That's why I could never program my radio! I don't have a mamual! I bought my Dx6i used, shortly after it came out actually, and the guy didn't know of any manual (yeah right). I have been dying to program for flaps or in this case spoilerons because I don't want to take the time to cut the flaps and put servos in. What is the difference in speed and lift for spoilerons as opposed to flaperrons? Aren't flaps also separate than spoilerons, closer to the fuse, and go down?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2009
277 Posts
I found the manual online, and I know now where the plugs go into the reciever, but it doesn't say how to program flaps.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:54 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,957 Posts
Flapperons vs. Spoilerons.... that's a whole debate with several dedicated threads... I spent a lot of time viewing them but still didn't really appreciate why flaperons are more likely to cause a tip stall... it gets technical quick. Best to try both and see what works best for you. When I get a chance I'll post my settings for the spoilerons on the DX6i.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:07 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,957 Posts
It is easy.

Once you have the servos connected to the right pins (page 45) AILE and AUX1, you just program flaps as normal (page 68 and 69) for the desired flap switch position. This also allows you to mix in a little bit of elevator to stop the nose rising too much.

I have mine set to:

Flap Elev
Normal 0 0
Land ^60 0

Works for me, the nose does go up a bit (nothing like as much as when trying flapperons) but that just reminds me to reduce throttle , so I have left that at zero.