HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:34 PM
Joined Apr 2008
57 Posts
I don't think it got that low. The ailerons still worked fine right before I took it out. And it was only a few minutes. I guess the equivalent of a plane getting to LVC and getting stuck in a tree for 15 minutes. I hope that wouldn't kill it
kgh31386 is offline Find More Posts by kgh31386
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:39 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Hellsiege:

It's a new Axi 2217/16, with the radial mount, no spinner. Just a plain hex nut to hold the prop. I haven't run the motor w/o prop, will try that...any chance of the motor throwing a magnet because of excessive RPM's?

First prop (big vibration problem) - APC 9x4.5 thin electric
Second prop (less vibration but still sort of non-acceptable) - APC 10x4.7 slow flyer

Axi recommends 10x5 prop for 3s Lipo.
First prop ran way too low watts, noticeably weak thrust
Second prop ran a bit over the max watt rating for the motor, had plenty of thrust
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Last edited by Zerts; Jan 21, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:52 PM
Joined Apr 2008
57 Posts
I stuck it on the charger about 15 minutes ago, doin checks every 10 minutes. It hasn't done an error yet, no puffing or heat. I hope I got lucky...cuz really it was like 10 minutes really, and the throttle was barely up..and the servos still responded fine...
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:05 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
kgh,
You should be OK. Running a lipo to 3V/cell is not harmful (usually) but not recommended too many times.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:12 PM
Joined Apr 2008
57 Posts
sweet. i'll try not to do it again. i never got a reply before, is crashing and hitting the servo bad for it? could that strip something in it?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:17 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgh31386
sweet. i'll try not to do it again. i never got a reply before, is crashing and hitting the servo bad for it? could that strip something in it?
Move the control stick on your TX slowly both ways, while restraining the affected control surface lightly, to see if you broke a tooth off one of the servo gears.

Check the control horns at the elevator, rudder, ailerons regularly to make sure they aren't cracked or prying loose.

The little pin in the pushrod clevis is also prone to breakage (speaking from experience w/ PZ and HZ planes)
Last edited by Zerts; Jan 21, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:39 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,176 Posts
Zerts:

If it got better with just switching props odds are the OEM prop is not well balanced. Try balancing the prop before doing anything radical.

The stock E-Flite prop that came on the original motor was pretty good, but the spare I purchased at the same time was terrible, so there is probably a large variation. An inexpensive prop balancer is a good investment, particularly if you have a high rpm dd motor on a fast airframe.

I have found that APC props are generally not too bad but AeroNaut props are all waaaaaay out of balance. A combination of sanding the heavy side and adding clear nail polish to the light side will get them to balance.

IME it not only makes a difference in the vibration but also makes the prop more efficient so you get more time out the same number of mAh.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:45 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
FC,
Thanks, the props were new and I didn't run the prop balance on them, assumed they were balanced because they were new.

I frequently use Mrs Z's purple nail polish for marking purposes etc, so she keeps a close eye on me that I don't use it for socially non-acceptable purposes
Last edited by Zerts; Jan 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:06 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
FC,
Thanks, the props were new and I didn't run the prop balance on them, assumed they were balanced because they were new.

I frequently use Mrs Z's purple nail polish for marking purposes etc, so she keeps a close eye on me that I don't use it for socially non-acceptable purposes

Lesson learned? Anyway, new props need balancing. You'd be surprised how nice it is fly with a balanced prop. It is more efficient plus it saves motor bearings and reduces stress on the mount, airframe and the like.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:05 AM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
I've used APC props without issue - gave the one stock prop I bought to a friend that had an F4u that had just broken the three blade pulling it out of the car...

Glad to see the lipo is ok
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:08 AM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
It just may be the prop was out of balance because this setup probably runs at a much higher rpm than my other stuff, and along with the fact the motor mount has so much flexibility, that is creating the vibration.

My other planes have the motor mounted behind the firewall and there is noticeably less "give" in the motor mounting in all of them, compared to the T-28.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:30 AM
I Can Fly Inverted :)
California
Joined Apr 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Or Die
What are you guys doing? I get 15 to 18 minutes from my 2200's... Both the parkzone and zippy h's... What is the stock setting of the esc on the pnp? I landed at 10.5v but Im not sure if the lvc is set or if I have to set it myself.
I'm not sure. I get 12-13 minutes off my 2200s. That's quite a difference from yours.
Flying style or the C rating may be a factor.
Maybe you're lipos have more voltage in em after a charge than mine do.
Interesting stuff...

Bill
fresbill is offline Find More Posts by fresbill
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:58 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
Brake ON should result in an immediate stop when you go to idle. Is that what yours is doing?
Pretty much it, I can still turn it by hand with some effort, but when disconnected it'll free spin. First brake I think I[ve ever seen.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:17 PM
Another 3DHS convert...
Newnan GA
Joined Mar 2006
726 Posts
I got a Zippy 2200 3S battery that one cell went bad on, should I just sell it for ultra cheap and let someone convert it to 2S or is it a lost cause? Thoughts?
jetboy11914 is offline Find More Posts by jetboy11914
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:14 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Replacement horizontal stab

What are those 4 short pieces of clear tape that come packaged with it?
Are they to reinforce the elevator hinges?