HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:34 PM
Joined Apr 2008
57 Posts
scary day today

Today was my 2nd time flying, first time in some real wind. 10-20mph gusts. The plane handled it well, but I was seeing how high it would go and on the way back down, I'm not sure if it was the wind that got ahold of it, or a glitch. But it would randomly spiral to the left, then all of a sudden I could get it back. It only did it a couple of times for a second or two. But I was just like oh no please. I have a Berg rx in it, so I thought the range would be great on it. Maybe it was because I flew close to something bad, but I'm not sure. It was kinda far from me low to the ground when it did it. Maybe 200 yards only 50 feet up...maybe it was too low to the ground too far away? I guess I should program it to go to a neutral position maybe. But 15-20mph winds are noooo problem. Makes loops really easy, I had about 10 loops in a row with 1/2 throttle. I even let it float for a while about 200 feet up. I cut the throttle and it would just float there, it even gained some altitude by itself. Landing wasn't bad either, kinda difficult when the wind would gust, but pretty smooth. Haha one time I got it on the ground and the wind blew it sideways, ended up resting on the nose and wing. good thing i put a couple of pieces of tape on the tips. I was impressed. Anyone ever have any lockout with the berg though? Kinda scared me

Oh yea another scary thing, I landed and was taxiing past a stick...but it wasn't a stick, it was a deer leg. No idea where the rest of the deer is, but yea the leg was there. So I decided I should move down a little bit. It's an empty neighborhood where they haven't built anything yet.
kgh31386 is offline Find More Posts by kgh31386
Last edited by kgh31386; Jan 19, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:01 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram008
No, the buddy box does not need to be a Spektrum radio.The only transmitter that will actually be transmitting will be your Spektrum radio bound to the plane. The buddy box will be turned off, so it doesn't matter what channel it's on or what it is.
guys, thx for the help, and i dont wanna get any further off topic, but im totally confuzed with the 3 different answers...

the box is futaba, and he says he has cords...

plz pm me if ya can, i dont quite understand what the answer is.
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:06 PM
registered snoozer
Pungo VB VA
Joined Jan 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkboy4
Hey you guys, is it hard to pant your Trojans all one color.

Only if you dont have enough paint...?...and tape...?..lol

you mean coverage?
gboy333 is offline Find More Posts by gboy333
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:54 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj

How does yours react to low voltage? I've got a super simple 40a to bench test.

Rob
I bench ran the super simple 40a esc (about $12 at HC). Used a stock motor and 10x8 prop...seemed to have a lot more power BTW. I switched to the stock prop, more quiet, less wind noise. The esc default seems to have the brake on. I've never seen one with a brake on but the motor was a little hard to turn while powered up, throttle off. The esc got lukewarm throughout the 10 minute or so test at WOT. The stock battery didn't get warm until the last 2-3 minutes. Bad news is the power just got lower and lower. It did not pulse or cut off.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:10 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,162 Posts
Got the Castle BEC's today...ordered from Amazon (Hobby People). About $23 each, smaller than I thought, figured ESC size. Default setting is 5.1v, yo ucan change that with the optional Castle USB interface.

No real instructions, just wire it to the esc battery connection, then I guess the ESC goes to the throttle post as normal and the BEC goes to the Batt/Bind post on the receiver.

Come complete with NASCAR stickers for my plane!

Rob
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:49 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I tried the SuperSimple 40 with a Turnigy 35-30, and it would cut out when I went WOT. Took it right back out, and now i have a Hacker 40 with zero problems.

Well, except I have to watch the time on my flights because it doens't have the right LVC.

I also have a castle BEC for my flaps- my LHS actually carried it and it was only $21 there.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:55 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Battery Usage

I have a question about the battery draw I've been seeing. I seem to be eating up batteries. I have a Turnigy 35-30 motor. Here is some recent data...

flight time mah
9 1722 (stock 1800 battery)
8 1774 (stock 1800 battery)
10 1967 (2200 battery)
10 2111 (2200 battery)
10 1761 (stock 1800 battery)

I usually do a bit of hot-dogging on each flight, but not too much WOT. Then I'll do a bunch of touch and go's for the second half. Does this sound about right? I really don't like the flight where I put 2111 mah back into a 2200 mah battery! In fact, I don't like using this much of the capacity at all.

A lot if folks are talking about getting 15 minute flights. Are they running to LVC?

I did ask about the same question over in the Corsair thread.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:24 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,162 Posts
What are you using to get the info? The stock motor seems to get better mileage than my Turnigys. But at the moment I'm flying/testing for max performance. With the stocker I'm just taking a Sunday fly.

A bit of bad news from this morning. T-28 #4 is down. Trying to get some more climbing shots with a 35-36c, Had a 5in1 Edvr pushed up the middle cooling hole in the bottom of the fuse facing right. Perfect wpot for the camera BTW. After the filming was done I clipped the light pole next to me in the video. Just doing some nice easy passes to finish off the lipo, then bam! the wing separated, broke the normal spot in the rear, broke the nose off. I could probably save it, but I ordered another fuse. Wing(with flaps) ok, cowl took a shot, and it bend the Turnigy prop mount(have extras). Looks like the motor is a-ok. So just when you least expect it.

Here is the video, the Edvr ran out before the crash, it would have looked cool.

Parkzone T-28 bigger motor, 5 in 1 EDVR stuck inside the fuse holes :) (5 min 52 sec)
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:53 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
I have a question about the battery draw I've been seeing. I seem to be eating up batteries. I have a Turnigy 35-30 motor. Here is some recent data...

flight time mah
9 1722 (stock 1800 battery)
8 1774 (stock 1800 battery)
10 1967 (2200 battery)
10 2111 (2200 battery)
10 1761 (stock 1800 battery)

I usually do a bit of hot-dogging on each flight, but not too much WOT. Then I'll do a bunch of touch and go's for the second half. Does this sound about right? I really don't like the flight where I put 2111 mah back into a 2200 mah battery! In fact, I don't like using this much of the capacity at all.

A lot if folks are talking about getting 15 minute flights. Are they running to LVC?

I did ask about the same question over in the Corsair thread.
i've wondered the same, i've never managed to get more than 9 minutes out of my trojan even flying it easy.

and if you keep running those batteries like that, they wont last you much longer

you shouldnt be putting in more than ~1450 on 1800 packs and ~1750 on the 2200
Figure.N9ne is offline Find More Posts by Figure.N9ne
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:25 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaniel
i've wondered the same, i've never managed to get more than 9 minutes out of my trojan even flying it easy.

and if you keep running those batteries like that, they wont last you much longer

you shouldnt be putting in more than ~1450 on 1800 packs and ~1750 on the 2200
Yeah, and that is what I am worried about. And I'm using my GT Power A6 for the info on what I'm putting back in.

I guess today I need to try flying easier and/or shorter. Changing the timer from 10 minutes down to 8 should help a ton.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:24 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
Ive always run my batts to lvc and they still work fine. Of course as soon as I hear that motor pulse I bring her in for final and have done with it.
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:26 PM
I Can Fly Inverted :)
California
Joined Apr 2007
159 Posts
Thanks for posting guys,
It's nice to hear there are others that don't have the long flight times I've seen claimed on this thread.
My 2200 15C Zippys last me "about" 12-13 minutes flying my stock T28 at what i think is 2/3 to 3/4 throttle. I fly till the LVC hits about 3V and starts pulsing the motor.
I'm using the Hobbico Accucycle Elite Charger w/ a GP Balancer attached charging at 2.0amps, which is the highest I can set the charger on AC.
I don't fly WOT long because I heard it's bad for the lipo. Is this true? Darn, WOT rocks!
Bill
fresbill is offline Find More Posts by fresbill
Last edited by fresbill; Jan 21, 2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Correcting the LVC
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:21 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresbill
Thanks for posting guys,
It's nice to hear there are others that don't have the long flight times I've seen claimed on this thread.
My 2200 15C Zippys last me "about" 12-13 minutes flying my stock T28 at what i think is 2/3 to 3/4 throttle. I fly till the 3.5V ESC cutoff kicks in and starts pulsing the motor.
I'm using the Hobbico Accucycle Elite Charger w/ a GP Balancer attached charging at 2.0amps, which is the highest I can set the charger on AC.
I don't fly WOT long because I heard it's bad for the lipo. Is this true? Darn, WOT rocks!
Bill
LVC of 3.5v is rather high (early). Is that an option for your ESC? Maybe a dumb question since you have it set that way, but most LVCs for LiPos are at 3.0v which would result in longer flights.
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
I bench ran the super simple 40a esc (about $12 at HC). Used a stock motor and 10x8 prop...seemed to have a lot more power BTW. I switched to the stock prop, more quiet, less wind noise. The esc default seems to have the brake on. I've never seen one with a brake on but the motor was a little hard to turn while powered up, throttle off. The esc got lukewarm throughout the 10 minute or so test at WOT. The stock battery didn't get warm until the last 2-3 minutes. Bad news is the power just got lower and lower. It did not pulse or cut off.
Brake ON should result in an immediate stop when you go to idle. Is that what yours is doing?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:27 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,712 Posts
Whoa!!

6,000 posts and 400 pages on part 2 of this thread!

Says something about the T-28 huh.