HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2008, 10:50 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jan 2008
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milandrah
I would say it all depends on what style of flying you want to do. For scale I would say the 3 blade is better in most circumstances.

I tried the 3 blade MAS 9X7 on my new PZ T28 yesterday. I didn't like it. For one it has a lower pitch than the stock prop. So my fault on choosing the wrong prop. But that's all they had. I felt the performance was generally lower than the stock prop and it should be. 3 blades generally will slow the plane down, but will provide more thrust at the same RPM's.

So by choosing a lower pitch on a 3 blade, I really cut my speed down. I would say 20%. Going with a higher pitch 3 blade will solve my problem. But you will see a little less flight time.

So it all depends on what you want. For scale planes I like the 3 blades.

Joe

I also like the look of the 3 blade. I have flown with the 10x7x3 but the flight time suffered a lot. I have since flown with the 9x7x3.

I was reading the Master Airscrew recommendations when converting to a 3 blade prob. They said to good one inch smaller on the prop and increase the pitch. However, MAS doesn't make a 9x8x3. However, these really aren't designed for electric anyway.

Has anyone seen or heard of a 3-blade 9" electric prop? If not, I gues we will just have to wait and use the Corsair prop.
toddzhere2 is offline Find More Posts by toddzhere2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2008, 11:50 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOUBLEYOU
Are there any three blade props that don't change the flight characteristics from the stock prop. I would like to switch to a three blade for better appearance but i really like the way mine flies now.

JW
You'll have to go to a higher pitch 3 blade to get the same speed that the stock prop provides. You're gonna loose some flight time doing it. Changing props will almost always change the way the plane flies. It's one of the most important and flight effecting things on the plane.

I would recommend a better prop, like a APC 9X8 or 10X8 2 blade E prop.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old May 23, 2008, 11:56 AM
LET'S GO PENS
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2007
340 Posts
Thanks for the information Milandrah.
JDOUBLEYOU is offline Find More Posts by JDOUBLEYOU
Old May 23, 2008, 12:23 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jan 2008
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milandrah
You'll have to go to a higher pitch 3 blade to get the same speed that the stock prop provides. You're gonna loose some flight time doing it. Changing props will almost always change the way the plane flies. It's one of the most important and flight effecting things on the plane.

I would recommend a better prop, like a APC 9X8 or 10X8 2 blade E prop.

Joe
Joe

I fly mainly with a MAS 10x7. Do you get better performance from the APC props vs. the MAS?

What kind of flight time are you betting with the 10X8? Why are you choosing the 10x8 over the 10x7?
toddzhere2 is offline Find More Posts by toddzhere2
Old May 23, 2008, 02:03 PM
High Wycombe, UK
Joined Apr 2008
439 Posts
Got one of these coming next week, im really looking forward to it. Lots of interesting modifications to consider.
Radweld is offline Find More Posts by Radweld
Old May 23, 2008, 02:28 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
ParkZone Trojan T-28 Charging question

Hey guys,

It's been almost 7 months and I have been flying with my super cub and LOVE it. I finally got a T-28 and have a couple of questions:

1) On the charger, there is a amp options from 0 (I guess) to 2.0. Which position should I set the arrow?

2) On the radio, there are a couple of keys at the bottom and they are all at the bottom but when I was reading the manual, it looks like that they all have to be on top! I am confused, can anyone explain to me what should I do?

3) How long would it take to charge the battery?

4) How to keep the battery in the best performance and long lasting?

Thanks a lot.
Mehrdad
mehrdotcom is offline Find More Posts by mehrdotcom
Old May 23, 2008, 02:28 PM
Still Learning
La Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2005
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTonE
This is the new 10X5 prop by MAS, I would really like to try this one. (Click pic for site)

Don't waste your money. I guess that depends on the motor your using. My T-28 has a Himax 3510-1100 and I found the MAS 10X5 3 bladed prop VERY lacking. Required 2/3 throttle just to fly. The 10X7 is a good match, haven't tried the 11X7 yet, concerned by ground clearence.

Jim
keffer is offline Find More Posts by keffer
Old May 23, 2008, 02:45 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzhere2
Joe

I fly mainly with a MAS 10x7. Do you get better performance from the APC props vs. the MAS?

What kind of flight time are you betting with the 10X8? Why are you choosing the 10x8 over the 10x7?
Well the stock prop is a 9.5X7.5. I haven't tried anything other that the 3 blade 9X7 on the plane. But if you want a little more speed on this plane, I would try something like a 9X9 or 10X10 APC E 2 blade. You wanna go up on pitch if you want more speed. The 9X9 would be the closest to the originals amp draw/flight time and would give you just a little more speed.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old May 23, 2008, 04:57 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Went out and flew the T-28 today. She flew great, but when I brought it in for a landing the right gear caught a hole in the ground and popped off. No damage to the plane thankfully as the landing was real smooth and slow. I've noticed a couple others have had this happen and was wondering whats the best way to fix this? I assumed 5 min. epoxy and just pop it back in, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't tear a portion of the wing out if I happen to land in a rough patch later on down the road. Thanks in advance.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Last edited by Zero3803; May 23, 2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 06:19 PM
Overland Park, KS
Joined Mar 2008
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803
Went out and flew the T-28 today. She flew great, but when I brought it in for a landing the right gear caught a hole in the ground and popped off. No damage to the plane thankfully as the landing was real smooth and slow. I've noticed a couple others have had this happen and was wondering whats the best way to fix this? I assumed 5 min. epoxy and just pop it back in, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't tear and portion of the wing out if I happen to land in a rough patch later on down the road. Thanks in advance.
I had the same issue.

Used foam safe CA, put clear packing tape on top for insurance and never had another problem.

JP
jpires is offline Find More Posts by jpires
Old May 23, 2008, 07:11 PM
Squawking 1200
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Feb 2006
50 Posts
Quick question, what prop are you guys using to replace the stock one, with the stock esc/motor? I've been searching but never found a straight answer
SROlmeda is offline Find More Posts by SROlmeda
Old May 23, 2008, 07:25 PM
Need More "Roon" 4 planes
United States, TX, Sadler
Joined Dec 2007
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROlmeda
Quick question, what prop are you guys using to replace the stock one, with the stock esc/motor? I've been searching but never found a straight answer
The cheapest is just a stock replacement, I think $3.99 at my LHS.

It's too windy to fly around here but I got my Robart Strut covers in today. I'll start working on them after dinner...
Roon is offline Find More Posts by Roon
Old May 23, 2008, 07:36 PM
Squawking 1200
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Feb 2006
50 Posts
Thanks Roon
Ok 2 more quick questions
Whats the shaft diameter of the stock motor and the bore size of the stock prop?
SROlmeda is offline Find More Posts by SROlmeda
Old May 23, 2008, 09:25 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,592 Posts
i returned my vam corder just going to use my cell phone upside down
my trojan has a 12X6 apc on it
cub with trojan motor has 11X7 slow poke apc ready to go

oh ya just oiled my motors wow seems to make a difference
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old May 23, 2008, 10:52 PM
LET'S GO PENS
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2007
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrdotcom
Hey guys,

It's been almost 7 months and I have been flying with my super cub and LOVE it. I finally got a T-28 and have a couple of questions:

1) On the charger, there is a amp options from 0 (I guess) to 2.0. Which position should I set the arrow?

2) On the radio, there are a couple of keys at the bottom and they are all at the bottom but when I was reading the manual, it looks like that they all have to be on top! I am confused, can anyone explain to me what should I do?

3) How long would it take to charge the battery?

4) How to keep the battery in the best performance and long lasting?

Thanks a lot.
Mehrdad
1). The manual says to set it to 1.5amps and not go any higher than that but it is safe to go below that.

3). A little more than an hour if you have the amps set to 1.5 on the charger
JDOUBLEYOU is offline Find More Posts by JDOUBLEYOU