SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:55 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Zippy H in the T-28

I just got a T-28 and had ordered 2 Zippy H 2200 mah lipos for it. Yesterday I began to assemble the plane and tried to fit a battery in the compartment. It was about 1/4 inch too long. It looks like I will have to carve a way some of the fuselage. Is this what others do to make the battery fit? Or do you use a 2000 mah battery that is shorter?

Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:22 PM
Never Satisfied!!
Scottsville, NY
Joined May 2008
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawcuter
I just got a T-28 and had ordered 2 Zippy H 2200 mah lipos for it. Yesterday I began to assemble the plane and tried to fit a battery in the compartment. It was about 1/4 inch too long. It looks like I will have to carve a way some of the fuselage. Is this what others do to make the battery fit? Or do you use a 2000 mah battery that is shorter?

Bob
Check and see where your COG is before doing any carving. You may be alright with the 1/4" hanging out.
tshero is offline Find More Posts by tshero
Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:26 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
I use a parkzone 2200mah lipo and it flies perfectly, balance has never been an issue. I just push it in as far as it goes, close her up and fly.
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:01 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Well I had my first crash to date with any plane today. Unfortunately it was the T-28 with my newly added flaps.

Everything checked out fine and I was flying around for a few minutes when I heard this crazy thump and all of the sudden the entire wing had pulled off the fuselage. It fluttered to the ground, and it the body nosed in from over 200' up. The wing had been properly secured, and it looked like the threaded area broke. I walked over to the wreckage which happened to be in this nasty muddy area. The cowl had burst with the exception of the 2 larger chunks pictured and the fuse was sticking out of the ground like a lawn dart. It was at least 4 inches down into the mud. I yanked it out to find the firewall shattered and the motor seperated. The esc had been ejected as well. The battery looked alright, but has a sizeable dent in the front (it hasn't smoked up yet, not sure if I'll keep it in service though...).

Fortunately, the wing landed softly with no damage. I would have been furious if I'd just added those flaps and it bit the bucket. The fuse actually looked pretty good. The only damage besides the cowl/firewall was a slight compression in the very front. It took absolutely no other damage. Once I got home, I decided I'd test the motor out and this blew my mind...the motor shaft did not bend at all. I ran it up to full speed it and sounded fine and there was no wobble in the shaft. You wouldn't think with the way the prop looks this would be the case...

I'm not sure if the motor will stand the test of time, but I'll try it again I suppose.

Estimated repair parts:
motor mount
firewall (not sure if these can be purchased....may need a bare fuse.)
cowl
prop

Here are the pictures after the fact. I kid you not this is the extent of the damage. I expected it to be packing peanuts after that high altitude dive. Benefits of flying over soft mud I suppose?
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Last edited by Zero3803; Dec 29, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:35 PM
Never Satisfied!!
Scottsville, NY
Joined May 2008
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803
Well I had my first crash to date with any plane today. Unfortunately it was the T-28 with my newly added flaps.

Everything checked out fine and I was flying around for a few minutes when I heard this crazy thump and all of the sudden the entire wing had pulled off the fuselage. It fluttered to the ground, and it the body nosed in from over 200' up. The wing had been properly secured, and it looked like the threaded area broke. I walked over to the wreckage which happened to be in this nasty muddy area. The cowl had burst with the exception of the 2 larger chunks pictured and the fuse was sticking out of the ground like a lawn dart. It was at least 4 inches down into the mud. I yanked it out to find the firewall shattered and the motor seperated. The esc had been ejected as well. The battery looked alright, but has a sizeable dent in the front (it hasn't smoked up yet, not sure if I'll keep it in service though...).

Fortunately, the wing landed softly with no damage. I would have been furious if I'd just added those flaps and it bit the bucket. The fuse actually looked pretty good. The only damage besides the cowl/firewall was a slight compression in the very front. It took absolutely no other damage. Once I got home, I decided I'd test the motor out and this blew my mind...the motor shaft did not bend at all. I ran it up to full speed it and sounded fine and there was no wobble in the shaft. You wouldn't think with the way the prop looks this would be the case...

I'm not sure if the motor will stand the test of time, but I'll try it again I suppose.

Estimated repair parts:
motor mount
cowl
prop

Here are the pictures after the fact. I kid you not this is the extent of the damage. I expected it to be packing peanuts after that high altitude dive. Benefits of flying over soft mud I suppose?
Looks pretty good for a 200' dive. Gotta love mud.........and snow.
Anyways, you can not purchase a seperate firewall. What I have done in the past is epoxy what you have back together making sure not to get any glue where the motor mount sits. Next, drill out some new holes for the motor mount where there is enough meat. Worked for me a few times. The only thing to look at is how badly compressed the fuse is behind the firewall. You don't want to change the angle of the motor too much or it could lead to headaches trying to fly and trim the plane. From your pics it looks like it compressed from the collision but then sprang back so you should be good to go. Hope this helps save a few $$.
tshero is offline Find More Posts by tshero
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:48 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
im guessing the part of nose gear swivel is intregal to the firewall and you cant replace it separate? where the nose gear rod is held in place with the screw is split on mine.any of you guys know if i can get the swivel separate? it pops out from the back of the firewall.i cut out an access hole in the bottom of my fuse to access the swivel...i found a high spot on the runway running wide open passes low hehehe
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:52 PM
Never look down
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803

Estimated repair parts:
motor mount
cowl
prop

If the cracks are on the firewall but not on the front steering part, just use CA & Kicker to make it like new again. I done that plenty of times. Place CA on the pieces and line them up then spray the kicker. Makes a solid connection again.
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:58 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
nah the tube that holds the rod and swivels with the rudder is broken in half...i took it out and epoxied it back together,then drilled out the epoxy,then put it back in the firewall and put it back together,flew it one time,landed it was taxiing and it broke again.i think it be done for hehehe..thinking of glueing it straight in and disconnecting the rod from it do it is stationary and just doing that
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:21 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Yeah I thought I might be able to save this firewall, but after I removed the remnants of the motor mount, I don't think I can. The area where the mount screws into the firewall is split in between each screw hole, and a chunk of the top is missing.

Checked my lhs which of course had nothing in stock.

edit: Called a shop about ~40 minutes away and they have everything I need in stock.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Last edited by Zero3803; Dec 29, 2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:42 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined May 2007
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1
im guessing the part of nose gear swivel is intregal to the firewall and you cant replace it separate? where the nose gear rod is held in place with the screw is split on mine.any of you guys know if i can get the swivel separate? it pops out from the back of the firewall.i cut out an access hole in the bottom of my fuse to access the swivel...i found a high spot on the runway running wide open passes low hehehe
I got one from HobbyZone 3$
Dave
flyerdave is offline Find More Posts by flyerdave
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:05 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
ok, ill set the tx timer to 18 for the 2200s and prob 12 for the 16OOs...

thx
you do know you can just set your timer to count up and not down. Then you won't have to change it.
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:01 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321
you do know you can just set your timer to count up and not down. Then you won't have to change it.
i like down, quickly tels u how much time you have... and there is an alarm...
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:25 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
i like down, quickly tels u how much time you have... and there is an alarm...

Ohh ok, hey Kmart, did you get the Trojan yet? I talked my neighbor into getting one... he loves it!!!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:12 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
Hey you guys, how did you add words under your picture?