HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 03, 2008, 06:52 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
ugly john's Avatar
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Awesome!!!!

And now a servo question... My LH aileron servo just started getting twitchy. It's never done this before. Any ideas on why? Anything I can do about it short of replacing it??
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:30 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
DogFly.'s Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack73
Are you doing a kit or scratch build for the Bearcat?
Hey Hack,
Awhile back my friend Dave and I bashed 2 Trojans into a Twin, now I want to modify a T-28 into a F8F Bearcat, my problem is a shortage of parts for a week!
Now I will be starting the build soon, soon as I get my back-ordered parts!
But I do have a fuselage, and wing, servos, Power 10 motor w/esc. There is some work I'm getting started on, when I get a little further I'll post the build with pics!
Dave.
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:37 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzert
Yesterday was a perfect day for flying. No wind, mid 70's ... started off with some low clouds that gave me an excellent opportunity to get some *different* video. I lost sight of my plane above the clouds a few times. Then the sun came out and burned away all the clouds for a beautiful blue sky, so we decided it would be fun to continue working on formation flying ... still have a long way to go, but I got some decent shots. Best form was at 2:26. There's a surprise at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeD7fnSc80M

whoa! dude that is cool! chopped its tail off? wow!.....nice that is very cool chasing the other plane with the on board video..that looks very realistic.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:47 PM
Never Satisfied!!
tshero's Avatar
Scottsville, NY
Joined May 2008
581 Posts
Ouch, bet your flying partner wishes he was the chase plane!!
tshero is offline Find More Posts by tshero
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 12:26 AM
KJ4ZQE
Berzert's Avatar
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
chopped its tail off?
Fortunately, there was no damage to either plane.
Berzert is offline Find More Posts by Berzert
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 06:45 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFly.
Hey Hack,
Awhile back my friend Dave and I bashed 2 Trojans into a Twin, now I want to modify a T-28 into a F8F Bearcat, my problem is a shortage of parts for a week!
Now I will be starting the build soon, soon as I get my back-ordered parts!
But I do have a fuselage, and wing, servos, Power 10 motor w/esc. There is some work I'm getting started on, when I get a little further I'll post the build with pics!
Dave.

can you post another video of the twin trojan? I remember seeing it a ways back. But I want a "fresh" video. lol
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 08:31 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
ugly john's Avatar
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Twitchy servo and motor bell housing

Hey all. I asked the servo question last night, but figured if I use a title it might work better.

So anyway, my LH aileron servo is twitching real bad. Sometimes it stays still like it is supposed to, but if I jar the stick, it will start to oscillate. I haven't done anything weird to this - no hits or anything. Any ideas?

AND, last night I was replacing my motor shaft when I forgot to remove one of the set screws from the forward motor housing before I tapped out the shaft. This resulted in the housing cracking. It still fires up, but I know it is on borrowed time. Does anyone have a spare housing hanging around? Or a stock motor they want to sell cheap? I'd like to upgrade to a better motor eventually, but I would have to do the ESC also, and I just splurged on a DX6i and a Venom P-51. My flying budget it pretty much gone right now.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 10:28 AM
KJ4ZQE
Berzert's Avatar
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
Hey all. I asked the servo question last night, but figured if I use a title it might work better.

So anyway, my LH aileron servo is twitching real bad. Sometimes it stays still like it is supposed to, but if I jar the stick, it will start to oscillate. I haven't done anything weird to this - no hits or anything. Any ideas?

AND, last night I was replacing my motor shaft when I forgot to remove one of the set screws from the forward motor housing before I tapped out the shaft. This resulted in the housing cracking. It still fires up, but I know it is on borrowed time. Does anyone have a spare housing hanging around? Or a stock motor they want to sell cheap? I'd like to upgrade to a better motor eventually, but I would have to do the ESC also, and I just splurged on a DX6i and a Venom P-51. My flying budget it pretty much gone right now.
Anytime I've had twitchy servos, I've ended up replacing them. I've had good luck with Hitec HS-55's, which are the exact same size as the stock aileron servos, but cheaper and more reliable.
Berzert is offline Find More Posts by Berzert
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 01:18 PM
Never Satisfied!!
tshero's Avatar
Scottsville, NY
Joined May 2008
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzert
Anytime I've had twitchy servos, I've ended up replacing them. I've had good luck with Hitec HS-55's, which are the exact same size as the stock aileron servos, but cheaper and more reliable.
I agree here with Berzert, the Hitec HS-55 are one tough little servo. Make sure though you get brand name Hitec servo's and not a cheap copy. I thought I would save a few bucks and bought a few generic 55s and after a few rough landings and crashes they all stripped out internally. My Hitec servo's though take a beating and I am yet to replace one.
tshero is offline Find More Posts by tshero
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 06:27 PM
plane-air=ground
USA, TX, Ingleside
Joined Oct 2007
366 Posts
i agree too at 11 dollars the hitec hs55 is hard to beat.the servo is the backbone of the plane.if it doesnt work you crash.it does not matter what you spent on the rest of the plane.if you can afford them get the hs45 servos.they have karbonite gears in them and very hard to strip. alot of heli pilots call them supreman servos.metal gear servos are great but they add alot of weight on these small planes.corky
helisailor is offline Find More Posts by helisailor
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 06:45 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshero
I agree here with Berzert, the Hitec HS-55 are one tough little servo. Make sure though you get brand name Hitec servo's and not a cheap copy. I thought I would save a few bucks and bought a few generic 55s and after a few rough landings and crashes they all stripped out internally. My Hitec servo's though take a beating and I am yet to replace one.
The Hobby City HXT-900 9 gram equivalent ($3.50 each plus shipping) seem to be better than the Hitec 55's. By better I mean center better and less prone to stripping. The only drawback I have found is when you want to install a super long arm for 3D max throws. The spline gear is larger and unique. You can overcome this by adding extensions using thin plywood, wrapping with thread and CA the assembly together. Bingo, you have long throw servo arms.

Below is a photo of the HXT900. Don't buy the slightly cheaper one also on the site. That servo doesn't center well.

Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 04, 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 06:49 PM
LOVE MAIDEN'S : >
neiloneil's Avatar
norfolk va
Joined Aug 2007
1,480 Posts
great vid Berzert
neiloneil is offline Find More Posts by neiloneil
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 06:55 PM
Staying Frosty
Hellsiege's Avatar
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
The Hobby City 9 gram equivalent ($3.50 each plus shipping) seem to be better than the Hitec 55's. By better I mean center better and less prone to stripping. The only drawback I have found is when you want to install a super long arm for 3D max throws. The spline gear is larger and unique. You can overcome this by adding extensions using thin plywood, CA and thread.

Below is a photo of the HXT900. Don't buy the slightly cheaper one also on the site. That servo doesn't centere well.

+1 for the $3.50 servos here as well. I've used them when a HS65 was required and have had great results. Not the best in helicopters IMO because of the centering but a great servo for planks.

Same as the cheaper ones don't use the 9.99 metal gear version of this servo either... Ordered 3 and they are not the same, two didn't have full range of motion and the 3rd just didn't work...complete bust - could be because they were a new product but going to wait till I hear good things about them before I try again.
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 07:06 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
hey you guys, I got a DX6i and am my old radio equipment. Comes with a slight used transmitter (about 10 times), a brand new receiver, and a brand new set of channel 19 crystals. anyone want it before i put it in the for sale section?
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:08 PM
Registered User
United States, MD, California
Joined Sep 2008
19 Posts
[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzert
Personally, I've never tried either of them on the T-28. But a good friend I fly with has tried them both and says they don't make enough difference either way to waste your time programming them. He claims that flaperons do make the plane less stable on landings. He's the best RC pilot I've seen and it keeps him alert (never crashed, just not flying one handed, smoking, talking on the phone as usual). Personal opinion: if you want flaps, cut them in and make real flaps. There is a reason on the full scale T-28 they have real flaps near the root of the wing instead of "flaperons." I have other planes with real flaps and they add a bit of "cool" factor ... flaperons, spoilerons, or other lazy man's inventions don't impress me.

[edit] The one time I can see flaperons or spoilerons being useful would be if your airlerons span the tip to the root of the wing ... in other words, if you can't cut flaps in.
I have to disagree, I have both flaps and spoilerons, usually land with mid flaps, pop the spoilerons and full barndoor flaps mixed on one of the big toggles on my XP7202 when I need to get it down in a hurry or put on the brakes so they'll fly right by. Setup works surprisingly well and is fun to play around with, just don't forget to clean it up if taking it around in the pattern.. On another note, I just maidened my new Turnigy SK 35-36 910KV I picked for the heck of it, ran it on a apc-e 11x8 with both 3s and 4s, 3s was nice, 4s it climbed straight up to a speck, was actually worried about ripping the wings off, lots of fun... anyone else tried this combo?
tarjas is offline Find More Posts by tarjas
Last edited by tarjas; Nov 05, 2008 at 12:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ParkZone T-28 Trojan RTF Review Jim Walker Electric Warbirds 879 Aug 11, 2014 10:08 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread - Part 2 monitor Parkflyers 2602 Jun 15, 2014 05:51 PM
Discussion Parkzone T-28 Trojan Thread Edge767 Parkflyers 6527 Jun 04, 2008 06:29 AM
Sold Parkzone T-28 Trojan, 480 960kv Motors (2) Joe in Dublin Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Jan 17, 2008 02:34 PM
Wanted Parkzone T-28 Trojan webejpn01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 25, 2007 03:48 PM