Old Oct 23, 2008, 04:36 PM
I feel the need for speed
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresbill
Your lights and struts look great dude.

Have you or BaracW had any problems w/ those fancy front struts breaking?

I'm asking cuz my front landing gear started out pointing forward and now it points backwards. lol
Maybe it strengthens the strut a bit?
Bill
I haven't had mine break...yet. They are pretty tough. If you fly from grass, most people will mount the rear scissor links facing backwards so they don't hook the grass when taking off or landing. I fly from asphalt, so no issues there.
BaracW is offline Find More Posts by BaracW
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2008, 04:43 PM
I feel the need for speed
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,266 Posts
Quote:
OK guys, what is the best way to repair a main wing when you have a small chunk of z-foam missing off the tip?

I did a tip stall on landing (think that's what a friend called it), the motor started pulsing, the wind was from behind the plane, was running out of room to land, so I did a gentle turn to avoid crashing into a conc.tire block, a that point the plane just fell, dropping on the wing. Glad I was low and slowing down, but asphalt is unforgiving on z-foam.

No doubt I've got a lot to learn about what I can & can't do flying rc. lol

Anyways, if any of you have experience fixing this foam on your T28 I'd like to know how to preceed w/ the fix.

Thank you for the help,
Bill
Use a foam filler. It is basically micro bead foam that mixes with the epoxy or CA to fill in foam gaps and holes. Here is a link:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBH73&P=7
BaracW is offline Find More Posts by BaracW
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:25 PM
I Can Fly Inverted :)
California
Joined Apr 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaracW
Use a foam filler. It is basically micro bead foam that mixes with the epoxy or CA to fill in foam gaps and holes. Here is a link:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBH73&P=7
Thank you dude. I knew someone on this thread would know what to do. It might be time to paint this puppy after the patch jobs. Yeah, I've got more than one. lol
Bill
fresbill is offline Find More Posts by fresbill
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:30 PM
KJ4ZQE
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
Experimenting with DIY decals on another plane. I had to give Major Tom, who flies my T-28, his due ...
Berzert is offline Find More Posts by Berzert
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:36 PM
United States, TX, North Richland Hills
Joined Mar 2008
70 Posts
Quote:

I did a tip stall on landing ..., the wind was from behind the plane, was running out of room to land, ...

Bill
Just a thought here, and maybe I missed something, but you're generally better off landing into the wind, not with the wind from behind. From your videos, you have quite a large area of asphalt to use so it doesn't often matter, but you will be much faster 'speed' touching down if there's much of a wind that's behind you. Landing into the wind makes for a slower impact if the landing is less than perfect.

Sorry if you know this already.
Larry
lgforeman is offline Find More Posts by lgforeman
Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:00 PM
I Can Fly Inverted :)
California
Joined Apr 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgforeman
From your videos, you have quite a large area of asphalt to use so it doesn't often matter
Larry
Yeah it looked really big to me too, until I started flying on it. Hopefully my flying will improve the 4th Time I fly RC.
Bill
fresbill is offline Find More Posts by fresbill
Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:48 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone
yea your killing us by not telling where we can get such a great deal!

OK, sorry about that!

East RC has an hour by hour sale going on today - they have been advertising it on the hot deals section. They have free shipping over $100, and they had 20% off any 1 item a couple hours ago, so I got the DX6i for $160.

Got to www.eastrc.org

Of course, I was hemming and hawing so much that I got in under the wire by about 2 minutes.

They have the sale going on until 9 tonight, so there is a bunch of stuff on there now, and it will change again at 8.

You might want to try to shoot them a PM and beg and plead and see what they can do for you. From what everyone says, their customer service is great, and they have certainly been great to me today from the couple of times I've talked with them. I will be back to visit them again!
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:49 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone
if you set up this tx with the same throws and expo as the stock tx then you'll notice no difference. but with the dx6 your programming options are almost endless, so you can really tweak it to your liking. how much did you get it for, if you don't mind my asking? i've been toying with the idea of getting a dx5i, as the tx and one rx are only $99. but if you have a source for inexpensive 6ch spektrums then i'd just go with that. i'm running a futaba 7c fasst now, and have a futaba 6exp 72mhz as a backup radio but i'm trying to sell the 6exp in order to get all my planes/helis on spread spectrum.
Yeah, I was leaning towards getting the DX5e, but couldn't pass this up.

Now to save my pennies for a PnP Corsair!
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:15 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I asked the guys at East RC on the sale thread about a recommended motor upgrade for the T-28. They recommended the Hang-It R/C X2814 for $39. Anyone ever heard of this? Good deal or what?

Here is the spec sheet:

http://hangitrc.com/download/brushless-motor-specs.pdf

Any recommendations for a cheap ESC for this?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:13 PM
East sussex
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
Hi guys im getting this plane for christmas and was wondering on average how long your flights are (stock) before the esc cut off kicks in? Also does a 2100 mah thunder power pack slide right in?
cheers
MustangP51 is offline Find More Posts by MustangP51
Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:20 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
yes, the TP pack will fit nicely. with the stock pack, you can get better then 10 minutes (on the stock motor and stock prop, that is) assuming your not wot the whole flight.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:24 PM
United States, TX, North Richland Hills
Joined Mar 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangP51
Hi guys im getting this plane for christmas and was wondering on average how long your flights are (stock) before the esc cut off kicks in? Also does a 2100 mah thunder power pack slide right in?
cheers
I'm using 1800mah batteries and set my TX timer for 14 minutes of relatively easy flying (1/2 throttle, some WOT, some touch & go's). Never hits ESC cutoff. Usually put about 1000 to 1350 mah's back into the battery.
lgforeman is offline Find More Posts by lgforeman
Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:41 PM
KJ4ZQE
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgforeman
I'm using 1800mah batteries and set my TX timer for 14 minutes of relatively easy flying (1/2 throttle, some WOT, some touch & go's). Never hits ESC cutoff. Usually put about 1000 to 1350 mah's back into the battery.
I run everything stock except I added a ParkBEC and AR6200 RX. I usually fly my batteries assuming 100 mA per minute, minus a minute or two on the timer for a safety buffer ... therefore on a 1800 mAH battery I set the timer either 16 or 17 minutes (16 minutes if its windy)) ... on a 2200 mAh battery I usually set it for 20 minutes. I don't fly WOT all the time because it's not necessary, but I do a lot of maneuvers (flying upside down etc.).

PS - I used an Eagle Tree eLogger to come to the 100 mA / minute conclusion. It's a great piece of gear to understand your plane better. Worth every penny.
Berzert is offline Find More Posts by Berzert
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:42 PM
cjg
"Pull up, pull up!"
Vermillion, SD
Joined Jan 2006
454 Posts
I came to the 100mah/minute conclusion by tracking flying times and the amount of charge I put back. If you fly modestly it is about right.
cjg is offline Find More Posts by cjg
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:48 PM
registered snoozer
Pungo VB VA
Joined Jan 2008
292 Posts
[QUOTE=tshero] I you can with your radio, program in spoilerons.

I reprogramed the ESC today and took off the brake hoping the freewheeling prop can help slow me down on landings. Too windy today to fly and tomorrow looks like ...another day in the hanger,,,maybe Sunday .

Do you know the watts a stock set up pulls in a WOT bench test?
Thanks
scott
gboy333 is offline Find More Posts by gboy333