HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:26 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,361 Posts
true but its not the same feeling. i fly the beast and the experience is not quite as rewarding as the "raw" control of a non- gyro plane IMHO.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:58 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,766 Posts
anything that can help me out on windy days will be welcome... not windy day?? and ill just shut the gyro off
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:38 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,361 Posts
i guess if there is a on-- off switch then that sounds great! i did not know that.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:03 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad View Post
A calm day in Wyoming?!?! I don't believe you My wife is from Wyoming and I have driven the I-80 corridor, and it's always windy!! The apocalypse is coming! The wind not blowing in WY is probably a precursor to Hell freezing over. But seriously, the T-28 is a great plane!! I absolutely love mine! Unfortunately the wind here in SE Idaho has not calmed. In fact, it's been picking up all day. Supposed to be 45 mph sustained winds tomorrow. I spent all morning charging batteries, hoping for a calm evening but it doesn't appear to be in the cards. I might just go taxi around the garage to run the batteries down With any luck I'll get some calm minutes just before sundown. Hopefully enough time to run a battery through the T-28 and maybe one through the Cub.

Congrats on the maiden!! It will quickly be your favorite plane.
Thanks for the Congrats. I was pretty proud of myself! LOL

I don't blame you for not believing me, I can't believe it myself sometimes!
But once in a while we have a calm day or two. Can't wait for warmer weather as it can tend to be calm at sunrise and sunset, but too cold on the hands right now for that time of day!

What part of Wyoming is your wife from, western part I am guessing?

Did you get your T28 up in the air or just practice ground circuits on your garage floor?

Time to do ground circuits myself, as the wind you stirred up in Idaho is now blasting us! Ugh! I guess I will polish up all the rotors and maybe see about installing an Eagle Tree Guardian in one of my planes. Now, which plane, hmmm... decisions, decisions. Life is so tough sometimes! lol

Happy Flying today all, keep her "bottom side down" on the landings !!!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:10 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
i guess if there is a on-- off switch then that sounds great! i did not know that.

yes it does have a power button walter

im not getting it right now.. but for summer? is on my to-get list since i o have a mini funtana x i would like to test with it... i will keep you posted
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
The HK one has an on/off switch, but the dang trim is messed up when you switch from on to off, so you're often better off to leave it on. I think the feel is not too altered if you keep the pot settings low. If it gives me a couple extra useable flying days a year, I like it even if the feel might not be quite the same. Not that the T-28 needs much help stability wise.
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:48 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Thanks for the Congrats. I was pretty proud of myself! LOL

I don't blame you for not believing me, I can't believe it myself sometimes!
But once in a while we have a calm day or two. Can't wait for warmer weather as it can tend to be calm at sunrise and sunset, but too cold on the hands right now for that time of day!

What part of Wyoming is your wife from, western part I am guessing?

Did you get your T28 up in the air or just practice ground circuits on your garage floor?

Time to do ground circuits myself, as the wind you stirred up in Idaho is now blasting us! Ugh! I guess I will polish up all the rotors and maybe see about installing an Eagle Tree Guardian in one of my planes. Now, which plane, hmmm... decisions, decisions. Life is so tough sometimes! lol

Happy Flying today all, keep her "bottom side down" on the landings !!!
Taxi drills in the garage I did take my FT Old Fogey out and braved the wind. It's only a couple $$ of foam board, so it's good practice for wind flying.

My wife actually grew up in Ranchester, just outside of Sheridan. When we were stuck living in Utah, we'd drive across I-80 over to Rawlings and then head north through Casper to get up to Sheridan. Now, we take the northern route through Montana to get to the Sheridan area so I haven't seen the I-80 corridor in a while.

I am seriously considering the Spektrum Rx with the AS3X for the wind. I don't want the gyros all the time, but with the wind in SE Idaho (not that different from Wyoming), it would be nice to have a little help on the windy days. I absolutely love flying my T-28, so it would be really nice to get a few more flying days, even when it is a little windy!! There's also another school close by that borders a field, with a north-south road in front of it. The wind here is predominately out of the south so a runway going the right direction is clutch!! I need to go talk to the farmer and see if he cares if I fly over his field. We have a lot of days where it's just a steady 10-15 from the south all day and with a runway oriented right, that's flyable.
roversgonemad is offline Find More Posts by roversgonemad
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:53 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
For the ar635, you set one of your modes with zero gain on all axis. The other mode for the gains you want. Then switch between them with the Gear switch (channel 5). Zero gain would be off (i.e. no gyro corrections).
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:14 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,361 Posts
thats sweet! it may be something that i will look into. as long as it can be turned off that sounds like a win, win to me.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:28 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,885 Posts
I rescued a PZ Trojan this past Saturday. I bought it from a gentleman here on RC Groups. It was in so-so shape and had flaps installed with tape. I immediately ripped off the flaps, put a new cockpit on her, installed a stock motor and motor mount, got a new 3 bladed prop and did some cosmetic work. I flew her yesterday. Flew like a typical PZ Trojan, this one is the Airforce version so she wil complement my Navy Trojan. Both great flyers. cost me around $70.00 after all the stuff I replaced.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:55 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,843 Posts
The D-28 (V2)

She got her Stealth Painting.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:12 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Mar 2006
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
She got her Stealth Painting.
that is waaaaay cool! This is an FPV setup? If so, can you describe the components you're using? Are those satellite RX antenna's sticking out the top of each wing?
cgschaefer is offline Find More Posts by cgschaefer
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:08 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgschaefer View Post
that is waaaaay cool! This is an FPV setup? If so, can you describe the components you're using? Are those satellite RX antenna's sticking out the top of each wing?
Yeah, it's my fun FPV plane .. very simple setup:

5.8Ghz ImmersionRC 600mW + Keychain Camera 808 16v2 + my proprietary OSD with GPS.

It uses FrSky and yeah those are dipoles on each wing. I have about 2 miles range with this setup - although a lot of Jello in the Camera due to the vibration from the motor.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:55 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
USS Lexington

Went with family on Spring Break to tour U.S.S. Lexington in Corpus Christi, Texas...it had a nice static display T-28.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:02 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
anything that can help me out on windy days will be welcome... not windy day?? and ill just shut the gyro off
WAit. Aren't you the non expo guy who wants to feel the plane now talking a gyro?

Wind and the t-28 isn't a problem. I think most try and land to slow and hit the dead air near the ground. You really get the feel of the plane you know
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj