HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:27 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
mission accomplished! 18 flights with the durafly 3 blade. pulled like a train and made the MAS 3 blade seem silly. ill be ordering more of these. amazing! about same times with better pull. too windy for relaxing flight but it was a blast. finished off with 10 micro t-28 flights.
18 flights !

A big fat OMG! I couldn't stand that long, much less concentrate to fly...How long are you flying her per battery? I just might have to order some of these props for mine....

Looking good my friend, looking good

John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:30 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,258 Posts
John,

I can see that Ear-to-Ear Smile from all the way in Central Florida!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:39 AM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
Quote:
.... With the durafly 3 blade. Pulled like a train and made the mas 3 blade seem silly.....
+++++1
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:51 AM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
244 Posts
CRASH GORDON
In Mode 0 i have my expo at +30 and D/R at 100% for Aileron and Elevator
In Mode 1 i have my expo at +15 and D/R at 70% for Aileron and Elevator
This way Mode 1 is toned down more so i can practice landings. and mode 0 i use more for flight .
These settings were actually suggested by HH and i like them alot. They are for a spektrum
hope it helps
orangephoner is online now Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:04 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,360 Posts
it was pretty cold today so i think it effects the batteries a bit but at pretty much constant 3/4 throttle for most of the flying, i like that speed, i was getting solid 5 minutes and landing at 3.8 per cell pretty consistant across most types of batteries. im not a WOT guy but i do like the extra punch of the 3/4 mark. im at 204 flights to date on this bird!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Last edited by walter3rd; Mar 03, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:22 PM
A disaster in the making.
United Kingdom, England, Selby
Joined Jan 2013
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
DnB,

A hearty welcome to the T-28 thread ! Your're in the place that's gonna get you to the Spad....she'll be fine until you're ready for her

Please don't get caught up in all the modding going on over here; most of these crazy guys are folks who have been flying their T-28's for along time (some of them for years) and are experimenting with turning their sedate trainers into pylon racers ! You will see some monster T-28's over here; you'll also see some casual Sunday morning flyers over here too. But mostly, you'll see alot of folks who just love this fine flying model and desperately want others to experience the same. The PZ T-28 isn't just another RC model; it's iconic....THIS is the standard by which other low-wing aileron trainers are measured.

I fly mine with XT-60 connectors as well. I just like the feel of them and the way they go together. The 30amp E-flite ESC comes with EC-3 connectors. I personally don't like 'em which is why I changed. Sounds like you have a bunch of great batteries to start out with: trust me, you're gonna need 'em --- lots of 'em !

Since you're flying a Dx6i, there will be alot of talk about expo and such. My personal recommendation, is not to worry about it for now. Just get the bird and fly it as is...that's the only way you'll truly train your thumbs. On Saturdays I fly with some serious 3D guys...I'm talking 6 foot wingspan, 30-50CC types, and they all say the same thing; "expo, naw, I don't like it, 'cuz it doesn't give you the true feel for the plane". I just flew with them yesterday and literally just had a conversation with them about the subject not 24 hours ago. But, as I've been chastised on this very thread for making similar comments, I DON'T CARE; I don't recommend expo for newer pilots. Get the "real" feel of the model first and go from there. But to each his/her own. Do as you wish and feel; it is your model and it's your flying skills that you are trying to hone. Although I'm a fairly new convert to this whole electric thing (a little more than a year ago), I'm not new to RC flying. I cut my teeth flying with my father back in the late 70's and learnt to fly on single channel "Apex" radios....when I got better, I moved on to two channel sytems and went from there...those were the days !

I hope my buddies Carlos (PittSpecial) and Walt (walter3rd) chime in here and help you. And please, there's many, many others who are going to help, but I know Carlos has been flying his for over 6 years (the SAME MODEL if you can believe it !) and Walt has been flying the wings off of his and usually flys 8 or more batteries through his PER SESSION !

Here's some pics of me enjoying the little plane:
http://www.bakehead.com/09_08_12/Joh..._09_08_12.html

Sorry for the long-winded post, but glad to see you over here: remember, we're here for you !

John

Thanks for that JW. Let's hope that there will be considerably less wailing and gnashing of teeth over here.

At least you have proof now that I DO listen to your advice and carry it out if I am at all able
Damnandblastit is offline Find More Posts by Damnandblastit
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:31 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, CA, Lake Hughes
Joined Jan 2013
497 Posts
Quote:
mission accomplished! 18 flights with the durafly 3 blade. pulled like a train and made the MAS 3 blade seem silly. ill be ordering more of these. amazing! about same times with better pull. too windy for relaxing flight but it was a blast. finished off with 10 micro t-28 flights.
How did it seem to compare to both the MAS and stock prop for top speed?

Think I may need to order a few my self .
dstewart51 is offline Find More Posts by dstewart51
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Hangar
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:40 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,360 Posts
it was so windy that i didnt mess around with top speed. tail wind would be cheating and head wind was really strong. i think on a calm day it would be pretty fast! 29 amps WOT static is a pretty strong pull. it felt very strong. much better than the mas 3 blade i use. pitch may be different and those HUGE paddles are grabbing lots on air. looks great as well. im a believer. ill be ordering more thats for sure!
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:53 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Jan 2013
497 Posts
@ Damnandblastit

I have a pair of PZ T-28's. I recently stuffed one nose first from a low level inverted flight incident . One of the best things about this plane is the ease of repair and plentiful supply of parts. Many say the bird flys even better after its been glued back together

They have a week point and break the nose off the fuse. But they almost always glue back together quite well.

From this,

to this using nothing more then some glue, I did need to be replaced the motor cowl,
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dstewart51; Mar 03, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:56 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,778 Posts
well, checked at one lhs and they only had the parkzone prop and the bf109 stock which i already have. off to the next lhs to hunt for the mas 10x7x3.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:01 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Jan 2013
497 Posts
^ The Hobby People in Santa Clarita usually have them in stock, if you have not already check the one off the 210 just north of you. Not sure if Gofast Hobby at the El Monte Airport would have them or not.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Hangar
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:07 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,360 Posts
cmdl, just order the durafly prop from hobbyking. you wont be dissapointed. just remember to balance well. it is better than the mas thats for sure and looks better IMHO.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:21 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnandblastit View Post
Thanks for that JW. Let's hope that there will be considerably less wailing and gnashing of teeth over here
!!!

I'm sure there will be less.....alot less !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:42 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Since you're flying a Dx6i, there will be alot of talk about expo and such. My personal recommendation, is not to worry about it for now. Just get the bird and fly it as is...that's the only way you'll truly train your thumbs. On Saturdays I fly with some serious 3D guys...I'm talking 6 foot wingspan, 30-50CC types, and they all say the same thing; "expo, naw, I don't like it, 'cuz it doesn't give you the true feel for the plane". I just flew with them yesterday and literally just had a conversation with them about the subject not 24 hours ago. But, as I've been chastised on this very thread for making similar comments, I DON'T CARE; I don't recommend expo for newer pilots. Get the "real" feel of the model first and go from there. But to each his/her own. John
I too fly with very little expo. But I do use expo. 30% for the right hand and 15% on the rudder, if you use rudder. I like a little slow space in the center of the sticks for my right hand.

However, It's been a long time since I have flown without the most throws mechanically possible on the control surfaces and only at high rates.

I'd start out with about 45% for the right hand and 20% on the rudder and adjust as you like. Get use to the stock throws and give them more when you feel ready.
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:52 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post
^ The Hobby People in Santa Clarita usually have them in stock, if you have not already check the one off the 210 just north of you. Not sure if Gofast Hobby at the El Monte Airport would have them or not.
Quote:
cmdl, just order the durafly prop from hobbyking. you wont be dissapointed. just remember to balance well. it is better than the mas thats for sure and looks better IMHO.
thanks guys.

@dstewart - i didn't realize there was an lhs so close by - i usually go to tony's and ultimate. appreciate the tip. worst case scenario i'll order.

@walter - i'll look for the MAS first and then try ordering from durafly. while your prop looks really promising i think the MAS beat it in lower current draw and i want to work my way up.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl