HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:11 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
Maybe not as much elevator travel as your Cub cmdl?
true. they're different planes. i'm still surprised that it couldn't even be leveled off but managed to get up in the air.

@BrownEyedFool - did he actually say "Oh sugar honey ice tea" or is that the censored version? LOL
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
how did he even take off? most tail heavy i have ever tried a plane was my cub. and she took off straight up, literally, like a rocket. i could fly her level without changing trim (about 80% down elevator) but i didn't think it was possible to take off with any more tail heavy than straight vertical.
We think when he pulled sharp elevator to lift off that caused the battery to slide, so he was airborne by the time it was tail heavy.

Either way it should be fixed now.

That is the censored version I figured if it's clean enough for a Pixar movie it's fine here.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
We think when he pulled sharp elevator to lift off that caused the battery to slide, so he was airborne by the time it was tail heavy.
aah. ok, now i get it. thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:47 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,058 Posts
Mine's dirt stock...I guess I'm boring...

Of course, I also have no C/G issues and therefore don't crash because of it....which is also pretty boring

That's the only reason I'm always a strong advocate of leaving things stock, so that newer pilots reading the thread don't get the idea that they have to mod away to get the model to fly correctly. It'll fly just fine bone-stock, right out of the box. It'll also do any aerobatic maneuver you want it to do, save for 3D flying. Loops, rolls, Cubans, half-Cubans, and inverted half-Cubans, all with ease and plenty of power to spare. I've also had mine clocked on a RADAR gun at 68 MPH, on a 20C 3S2200 with stock power-train and prop, in straight and level flight.

My only mods consist of bolt-ons: I added larger Dubro wheels because I fly alot from grass, and a 10x7x3 MAS prop because I like the additional thrust. I don't believe the prop adds any top-end, but it certainly makes her fly more scale at lower speeds....she just pulls nice and graceful over the top of some humongous loops and performs very nice, slow, scale rolls. Put 'em together and you have some of the prettiest half-Cubans and inverted half-Cubans

But, mod away if you wish; that's the beauty of this model...it's an RC workhorse! I prefer to keep mine stock.

"Less stuff to fiddle with and repair means more time in the air" !

John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Feb 24, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:13 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,611 Posts
The only mod I had ever wanted to do was add a slight motor upgrade and use 2200 packs. Most of my mods have come as a result of crashing. It does snowball a bit, I upsized the nose wheel to provide better grass runway clearance for the stock prop, it tends to mow the grass if it hasn't been freshly mowed.

It's my trainer plane, I just need to do a lot more touch and go practice and get consistent reps with the rudder. Then I have 952 other planes to fly or dream of.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,058 Posts
Quote:
The only mod I had ever wanted to do was add a slight motor upgrade and use 2200 packs. Most of my mods have come as a result of crashing. It does snowball a bit, I upsized the nose wheel to provide better grass runway clearance for the stock prop, it tends to mow the grass if it hasn't been freshly mowed.

It's my trainer plane, I just need to do a lot more touch and go practice and get consistent reps with the rudder. Then I have 952 other planes to fly or dream of.
Ain't that the truth....!

You must mean 4S2200s as the T-28 will fly all day long on 3S2200s....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:38 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,611 Posts
No I meant 3s 2200s, since true bone stock is flying with a 3s 1800, though many many peple go to 2200s, I went with the same usage as the previous poster.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:01 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
but is using a different batt truly a mod? in that case i have never flown a stock t28. i even use a different rx since i have the pnp.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
but is using a different batt truly a mod? in that case i have never flown a stock t28. i even use a different rx since i have the pnp.
Not when it is one of the two recommended in the manual.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,058 Posts
Quote:
No I meant 3s 2200s, since true bone stock is flying with a 3s 1800, though many many peple go to 2200s, I went with the same usage as the previous poster.
Ah, I understand now...

Well, I'll be bold and say that most folks fly their T-28's with a 3S2200mAh battery of varying C ratings. I don't think that using a 2200 is really a mod per se, as there really is no canopy or battery compartment modification necessary for the 2200 to fit. Most 2200's today are smaller than yesterday's 1800's, which the T-28 was originally designed to fly on .

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan4169 View Post
not when it is one of the two recommended in the manual.
+1

Couldn't agree more...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
Yes actually. I fly mine with both and really don't notice a change in CG as a result. I used to use the Parkzone 1800 battery (green one) but when it puffed, I switched to a Turnigy 1800 mah 25c and then to a Hobby People 2200 mah 20c and found no difference in CG. I can fly about 6 minutes on the Turnigy and about 8 on the Hobby People. BTW - I fly mine pretty much bone stock too with the only mod being the additon of the Parkzone 3 bladed prop. I like the way she flies on that as opposed to the stock prop. Looks more scale too.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
My T-28 is heavily modified to lighten it. (So I guess I could also say that it is"lightly modified"?) I normally use 3s 1300 mAh 65C batteries, but it is capable of flying anything from 3s 1000 mAh to 4s 3200 mAh. The biggest that I will ever fly it with is a 2250 mAh 4s though.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:19 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,479 Posts
2500 gens ace 3s make her quite the power house. thats plenty for me.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:28 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
2500 gens ace 3s make her quite the power house. thats plenty for me.
What discharge ratings?

Do you have a link to a good deal purchase?
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member