HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:39 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, CA, Lake Hughes
Joined Jan 2013
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangephoner View Post
Ill look in to all those batterys. Thank you. One thing tho. I got one of those battery buzzers that was set to 3.7v. My battery only has about 10 flights on it, when I trottle all the way up for little bit my cell 1 drops to 3.64. Even 1 minute into flight. If I stay below 1/2 throttle its fine the whole flight. After the flight the cells are at about 3.85v. Is my battery bad?
Sounds like you have a week cell. It happens. Id discharge that pack and replace it.

Two schools of thought on this, buy expensive hi-end packs and they should last longer (but some times don't) or buy cheaper packs and replace them more often.
dstewart51 is offline Find More Posts by dstewart51
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dstewart51; Feb 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:10 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,226 Posts
my nano additive g- force 2600 30 c elite series batteries trip my buzzer alarm 2-3 minutes before the same size gens ace! big pita! if i throttle back i can get a whole flight from them but its a real bummer. there standard green package g- force 2200 mah are great! you just never know... live and learn. im going back to gens ace myself. great product at a great price. its a win, win in my book....
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:54 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,794 Posts
Take off and Land

Wolf Racer - Takeoff and Landing - Lot 19 - 2/23/13 (1 min 9 sec)
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:40 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,970 Posts
I have bunch of inexpensive lipos (that I should probably sell eh?).

My point is, buy the good ones from the get go if your gonna do this for a while. They perform as advertised and are less expensive in the long run. My experience with the others, it's hit or miss on the quality too.

I have two 2200 3S Hyperions I got for this size airframe that I have had over a year and have used the crap out of (I do take care of them though) and to this day there is no puff and still perform at the advertised discharge rate. I charge these at 5A in 12 minutes. They can be charged at 10A also if you have a superman charging setup. I fly back to back to back all day and rarely wait for a battery. JMO

But lately for me the electrics have been staying home until I can figure out how to pack more planes in my Prius. LOL.. Got about the first gallon thru this so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post
Those Hyperion battery's above look great for a real Hot Rod build. All battery's regardless of price will fade and fail eventually. So for me, the goal is to find a battery that will perform the job your asking of it (discharge C with some head room) with out costing too much.
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Feb 23, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:47 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,226 Posts
looks good.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:13 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,458 Posts
Why So Serious rides again

Additional velcro mounted to make sure lipo doesn't slide to the tail when the plane leaps off the ground with too much elevator.

Nose is much heavier now with the beefier motor and the glue and all the CF in the nose. So battery location and overall CG will be checked many times and blessed by a third party so I don't fly tail heavy again. Tail heavy sucks.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:47 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,226 Posts
ouch! that was my exact fear and the reason i go with velcro as well. i dont want a tail heavy plane either. you can always do the simple finger support test before the flight and just shove the battery that extra bit forward just to play it safe, fly and slowly shift her back till your happy. good luck with the re-maiden. all the best.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:36 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, CA, Lake Hughes
Joined Jan 2013
488 Posts
The canopy has a lip that prevents the pack from sliding rearward. It works well with standard size 2200mAh packs. So unless this lip on yours was removed to fit an over size pack or if you where using a small pack it should not have been able to slide back.
dstewart51 is offline Find More Posts by dstewart51
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Hanger
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:40 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,458 Posts
It was partially removed for larger packs. And the rebuild I mounted Velcro on the battery and the light ply and that additional thickness pushed up against the canopy insert. So the small rounded ridges in the bottom of the fuse got trimmed off to improve fit.

Nose heavy I can deal with, it's been proven tail heavy causes many ouches.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:36 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Brown Eye,
my t-28 looks exactly like yours. Exactly. Except mine didn't crash because of a heavy tail. My Tx battery got a little low and simply lost the signal. The bird was about 100ft in front of me and only 50ft up. It pointed nose down and I watched it fly straight in to the ground. Made me real mad since that plane had never been crashed in 5 years and the dang crash wasn't even my fault. I have noticed that if my dx7 gets below. 10.5V the signal isn't very strong and randomly cuts out. It did that one other time but the signal came back before it was too late.
Seeing your pictures brought it all back to me! yuck. I used Hotglue to fix mine though. Works great (a little heavier though)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:44 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,458 Posts
Mine was a big time tail heavy issue, a veteran flyer took it off the ground since it was first flight with the new motor. He immediately said "Oh sugar honey ice tea" and was putting all the down he could into it including trim and it still stood on it's tail. That level of tail heavy even my noob self wouldn't do, so we think the jumping off the ground slid it to the rear.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:26 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Mine was a big time tail heavy issue, a veteran flyer took it off the ground since it was first flight with the new motor. He immediately said "Oh sugar honey ice tea" and was putting all the down he could into it including trim and it still stood on it's tail. That level of tail heavy even my noob self wouldn't do, so we think the jumping off the ground slid it to the rear.
Sounds like t-28 when 3D :-) Some 3d guys go tail heavy. An explicit reminder for all. Reminds me to pay attention to the battery strapping. I have been lax on that in the past.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:37 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
was putting all the down he could into it including trim and it still stood on it's tail.
how did he even take off? most tail heavy i have ever tried a plane was my cub. and she took off straight up, literally, like a rocket. i could fly her level without changing trim (about 80% down elevator) but i didn't think it was possible to take off with any more tail heavy than straight vertical.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
Maybe not as much elevator travel as your Cub cmdl?
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:39 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
T-28 Battery

Because my T-28 is not stock, OS 15 1000kv, 60 amp ESC it became a bit nose heavy. I installed a 1/16 ply floor with velcro strap and strip. Removed the battery retaining lip from the bottom of the canopy turtle deck to allow the battery to sit further back. I placed CG location marks on the main wing so I can check my CG regardless of the battery I put in it prior to flying. I've flown 3S, 4S with ranges from 2200mAh to 3200mAh in it without issue.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson