Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:59 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
I have planes, which go close to 200mph, 3D planes, gliders, which could stay afloat for hr, low and high wing, or by wing, or barely any wing, you name it.
Safe landings.
Rob
What plane do you have that goes 200mph? A buddy likes fast planes.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
Danny, John: Thanks for the warnings. In fact there is a fun fly this weekend so maybe I will take it there and see if someone will maiden it for me.

I have checked the aileron and they are operating correctly, as walter3rd describes. I had to adjust a couple of the linkages to align the surfaces and the left and right aileron now have the same amount of movement up & down. But I am sure some fine tuning will be required once in the air. I understand these models are a bit nose heavy so I expect some elevator trim may be needed.

I have been able to master the t28d with Phoenix set on the advanced setting for this model. My heli experience should be of some help as well.

So I think I am as ready as I am going to be. But that said, I'll see if I can find a mentor for the 1st flight. If I can't, I have foam ready ca standing by. Wish me luck.

I'm against the grain on a maiden...as usual I guess. My take...

triple check all surfaces, get down on the ground and tilt it left and right to match the ailerons...the most common mix up. The download from HH should be ok...NOT!!
Make a circle or 2 on the ground....rudder check.
Elevator should be the easy one to check.
Get someone next to you if you want to work the trims, make sure you are clear on what UP trim means. IE UP could be stick up which is plane down. When I say UP trim I mean what I want the plane to do Nose up.. A guy who has flown before can usually look at the plane and see what you are fighting and make the corrections for you. If you are new, it's hard to do both.
Stand behind the plane if possible.
Avoid the slow scale long rollouts. You are liable to run off the road, hit a curb, etc.
Take off with at least 3/4 throttle and let it climb quickly. Height is your friend. Now trim it.
If you get in trouble, chop the throttle(unlike your heli). This slows everything down, gives you more time.

Things will happen a lot faster than on the sim, especially the landing. If you have a nice big open field, don't worry about landing it 10 feet in front of you. Safely down 100' out and 100' down it just as good.

Probably a few others, I did NOT get my T-28 down safely the first time. It cam in much faster than I though and rolled through the parking lot and hit a curb. Later I learned the T-28 braking system, a hard left or right will tip it on a wing tip and stop it quickly. Beats gluing the nose back on. This plane was my first 4 channel plane. I still have one.

Have Fun, Good Luck!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:55 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Mark's new T-28 Trojan with Lights!

Well, I had just too many Park Zone T-28 NAVY Trojan models and one with Lights (No my cup...) so, I gave it to my good friend Mark S. (known here as Marked).

He has assisted the Moon Port Modelers RC Club members with search and rescue of perhaps many RC Airplane models (including mine) and "Perhaps" reaching the big number of 100. This has been done using his Ultra-Lite Experimental Aircraft and never asked for fuel, time or upkeep.

Additionally, he was a principal Search and Rescue of the Space Shuttle Columbia (Tail Number OV-102) a few years ago in the Big State of TEXAS.

I made sure the model had Motor, ESC, servos and of course the lights

We did a swap deal and he gave me a Filton Jumping Jack (Discontinued) Balsa and Light Plywood model. Of course I gave him another model for this trade, my 7 year in good condition GWS PT-17 Stearman RTF.

Here is Mark's new T-28 with Lights!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 21, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:02 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
I'm against the grain on a maiden...as usual I guess. My take...

triple check all surfaces, get down on the ground and tilt it left and right to match the ailerons...the most common mix up. The download from HH should be ok...NOT!!
Make a circle or 2 on the ground....rudder check.
Elevator should be the easy one to check.
Get someone next to you if you want to work the trims, make sure you are clear on what UP trim means. IE UP could be stick up which is plane down. When I say UP trim I mean what I want the plane to do Nose up.. A guy who has flown before can usually look at the plane and see what you are fighting and make the corrections for you. If you are new, it's hard to do both.
Stand behind the plane if possible.
Avoid the slow scale long rollouts. You are liable to run off the road, hit a curb, etc.
Take off with at least 3/4 throttle and let it climb quickly. Height is your friend. Now trim it.
If you get in trouble, chop the throttle(unlike your heli). This slows everything down, gives you more time.

Things will happen a lot faster than on the sim, especially the landing. If you have a nice big open field, don't worry about landing it 10 feet in front of you. Safely down 100' out and 100' down it just as good.

Probably a few others, I did NOT get my T-28 down safely the first time. It cam in much faster than I though and rolled through the parking lot and hit a curb. Later I learned the T-28 braking system, a hard left or right will tip it on a wing tip and stop it quickly. Beats gluing the nose back on. This plane was my first 4 channel plane. I still have one.

Have Fun, Good Luck!
RobJ,
Please don't take offense, I do not wish to insult you but I have to disagree with you in most of what you've written here.

The only parts that I can agree are:
1.Things will happen a lot faster than in real life.
2. Most likely a new pilot will not be able to put it down safely the first few times .
3. If an inexperienced pilot tries to fly on his own, particularly in a place that is not big enough to allow for proper roll-out after landing (first time I see someone giving advice of using a wing-tip as a brake) then this new pilot will indeed need a lot of luck.

The main reason that few people stay in the hobby for more than the first few flights with their first plane is because they go flying on their own, crash and get dissilusioned.

These forums are read often by people that are considering buying their first plane and we should be careful with what advise we put here.

Brgds,

Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:16 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
What plane do you have that goes 200mph? A buddy likes fast planes.
My Cuda, (1.5m ws) high performance glider with FAI motor on 5s.
Swift (1.3m ws) on 4s 150-170mph,
Victor (1.75m ws) on 4s goes close to 150mph.
Dogfighter does 130mph
last 2 I have videos on youtube. Look up rob panek

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:30 AM
-_-
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Sep 2005
828 Posts
In the OP post he gave links to various paint jobs is there a dedicated thread for this topic just looking for tip and tricks.
E-MO is offline Find More Posts by E-MO
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
RobJ,
Please don't take offense, I do not wish to insult you but I have to disagree with you in most of what you've written here.

The only parts that I can agree are:
1.Things will happen a lot faster than in real life.
2. Most likely a new pilot will not be able to put it down safely the first few times .
3. If an inexperienced pilot tries to fly on his own, particularly in a place that is not big enough to allow for proper roll-out after landing (first time I see someone giving advice of using a wing-tip as a brake) then this new pilot will indeed need a lot of luck.

The main reason that few people stay in the hobby for more than the first few flights with their first plane is because they go flying on their own, crash and get dissilusioned.

These forums are read often by people that are considering buying their first plane and we should be careful with what advise we put here.

Brgds,

Danny
Of course I expected that Danny, I only have about 2000 flights on my T-28 although I don't fly it as much as I use to.

So you don't agree with triple checking the control surfaces? I at least double check mine before each. On every plane
You don't agree with getting the communication down first if someone is helping with trims? I've seen this cause problems before.

hehe, the wing tip brake is a little tongue-n-cheek. Anyone who has flown a T-28 at least once knows how tippy it is in a turn or just on a windy day. Maybe I've just flown mine a bunch more.

And in this world we don't all have the perfect flying field. Especially when we are just starting out. So bumps, high grass, curbs are something we have to deal with.

Go Fly!!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:32 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,214 Posts
squeezed in another 10 flights this morning on the trusty t-28. wind was stronger than i thought but nothing over 10 so it was fun. kinda cold. about 34 degrees. i cut off the thumb and index finger of some winter gloves and oficially made some flying gloves for my flight box. worked great. coming up on 200 flights with her without any real flight damage. fingers crossed. what a great plane!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:21 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, CA, Lake Hughes
Joined Jan 2013
488 Posts
Working from home today playing with some new parts,

dstewart51 is offline Find More Posts by dstewart51
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Hanger
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:34 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,481 Posts
One of the many, many cool things about the T-28 is that it's sooo reliable and stable, that it can be used safely as a testbed for all sorts of things....ain't no hanger queens here !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:41 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
Yeah .. another test ride .. changing to a 910kv motor now .. 1400kv is fast but flight time is too little:

Wolf Racer - Jello Attack (2 min 19 sec)
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:52 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,214 Posts
love the ability to look left and right as well as straight ahead. super cool.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:44 PM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
What are the best 2200 mah batterys to get for the t-28? Best place to buy also?
orangephoner is offline Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:50 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangephoner View Post
What are the best 2200 mah batterys to get for the t-28? Best place to buy also?
stock? any place that sells 25C and higher - i recommend 40-60C batts. i have parkzone and gforce 2200 batts. gforce you can get at value hobby. i plan to shop at headsuprc in the future but not familiar yet with their batt brands.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Of course I expected that Danny, I only have about 2000 flights on my T-28 although I don't fly it as much as I use to.

So you don't agree with triple checking the control surfaces? I at least double check mine before each. On every plane
You don't agree with getting the communication down first if someone is helping with trims? I've seen this cause problems before.

hehe, the wing tip brake is a little tongue-n-cheek. Anyone who has flown a T-28 at least once knows how tippy it is in a turn or just on a windy day. Maybe I've just flown mine a bunch more.

And in this world we don't all have the perfect flying field. Especially when we are just starting out. So bumps, high grass, curbs are something we have to deal with.

Go Fly!!
yeah curbs!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn