HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:25 AM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbytron
"I was planning on getting this plane is this plane hard to fly. I already mastered the apprentice by Eflight"

If you can fly the Apprentice, you can fly the Trojan. I have flown both. I think the Apprentice will fly a little bit slower. Also, with the Apprentice wing design, it self rights a little better. But frankly, you don't get the T-28 for its self righting ability. I have to agree with Stantheman, although with very limited flight experience; I think the T-28 has to be the best designed plane I have ever flown. I know for sure it's worlds better than the foam CG Ranger 42 I had as a kid. By the end of that plane's life, it was more epoxy than foam and my little OS .10 couldn't pull it through the sky anymore.

As to why the T-28 is better, it's an absolute dream in the air. It will do EXACTLY what you tell it to do. Mine is stock, so it doesn't have a hopped up motor or even a different prop, but for my skills it is amazing. I put three more batteries through it yesterday, building confidence the whole time. I really do think, with a buddy box, this could be a first plane. I have even started loops, aileron rolls, and even some pretty cool stall maneuvers. In the stalls, the T-28 is extremely predictable and as soon as you put the sticks back to center the wings are straight. There are no strange spins to recover from, it only takes a little bit of elevator and throttle and the nose is back up and you are back on track. It also does beautiful coordinated turns. What else is nice is the wide range of speeds that it flies well, similar to the Apprentice. You can rip around at full throttle and have an absolute ball or you can pull it back to half throttle and fly lazy and gentle, still very fun. Either way it's stable and predictable with nary a bad characteristic. Even landing, with no throttle at all, it doesn't want to tip stall or do bad things, like so many low wing warbirds do. At about 10' off the ground I pull my throttle back and feed in just a little up elevator and it lands wonderfully. The other thing I really like, is the tricycle gear. Whether landing or taking off, the tricycle gear is SO nice on the ground. It's much more controllable than a tail dragger. I have some tail draggers and I always struggle to keep them straight on the runway, but the Trojan tracks straight as an arrow every single time.

I too wish they still made the Air Force version, just because I want two T-28s. I might just have to buy another one and paint it... I am hooked. I think there will always be a PZ T-28 in my hangar.
roversgonemad is online now Find More Posts by roversgonemad
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:05 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, CA, Lake Hughes
Joined Jan 2013
497 Posts
^ What he said. I have three T28's now. Two PZ T28's and a larger 1450mm Nitro Planes (A-RC version) with flaps, retracts and lights. The PZ T28 is confidence inspiring, easy, yet fun and capable.

Almost all of the much more experienced pilots who I fly with all have PZ T28's just to fly on windy days or just to screw around with. Its not a beginner only plane.
dstewart51 is offline Find More Posts by dstewart51
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Hangar
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:25 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,356 Posts
i was at my local hobby shop today and saw a plub n play air force on the shelf! thought they were gone? must have been hiding.. i agree the t-28 is a sweet plane. it was my first big plane after learning on the micro t-28. that was my first. the big girl is way easier to fly.. period! just a joy to float around with. ive got about 175 flights on mine and she is a great plane. i am running totally stock with just a 3 blade prop and cosmetic improvements. just lovely!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:43 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
Definitely the goto plane for windy days!
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:52 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,356 Posts
i tried to use the t-28 today as my windy day plane today but it was too scary! turned out there were gusts of over 35 mph! i advanced throttle and as soon as i added elevator she jumped straight up! wow! getting pushed HARD all over the sky. on full rates i could barely control her! i went around once and immediately landed! i was imagining a bag of foam bits! got her down safe and went home.. i was happy to leave with her in one piece. that was a close one! tomorrow looks better.. i had my heaviest 2500 battery in her and she looked like tissue paper in the sky! very eratic and jumpy! really reminds you how light these foamies are in the strong wind.
Last edited by walter3rd; Feb 17, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Feb 2013
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
i was at my local hobby shop today and saw a plub n play air force on the shelf! thought they were gone? must have been hiding.. i agree the t-28 is a sweet plane. it was my first big plane after learning on the micro t-28. that was my first. the big girl is way easier to fly.. period! just a joy to float around with. ive got about 175 flights on mine and she is a great plane. i am running totally stock with just a 3 blade prop and cosmetic improvements. just lovely!
That Air Force plane would have gotten me in hot water with the wife because it would have left the hobby shop with me! I am ridiculously enamored with my T-28 at this point.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Feb 2013
598 Posts
Quote:
i tried to use the t-28 today as my windy day plane today but it was too scary! turned out there were gusts of over 20 mph! i advanced throttle and as soon as i added elevator she jumped straight up! wow! getting pushed HARD all over the sky. on full rates i could barely control her! i went around once and immediately landed! i was imagining a bag of foam bits! got her down safe and went home.. i was happy to leave with her in one piece. that was a close one! tomorrow looks better.. i had my heaviest 2500 battery in her and she looked like tissue paper in the sky! very eratic and jumpy! really reminds you how light these foamies are in the strong wind.
You should get the new Spektrum receiver with the AS3X, that should make it much more manageable on the windy days. If it didn't cost $120, I'd already have one!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:58 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad View Post
That Air Force plane would have gotten me in hot water with the wife because it would have left the hobby shop with me! I am ridiculously enamored with my T-28 at this point.
There are still a few about over here. I got mine at Christmas at a bargain price.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:43 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,356 Posts
i have the micro beast with gyro that i love. works great! i was trying to avoid spending any more money on the trojan. she flys great most days.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:03 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
i tried to use the t-28 today as my windy day plane today but it was too scary! turned out there were gusts of over 35 mph! i advanced throttle and as soon as i added elevator she jumped straight up! wow! getting pushed HARD all over the sky. on full rates i could barely control her! i went around once and immediately landed! i was imagining a bag of foam bits! got her down safe and went home.. i was happy to leave with her in one piece. that was a close one! tomorrow looks better.. i had my heaviest 2500 battery in her and she looked like tissue paper in the sky! very eratic and jumpy! really reminds you how light these foamies are in the strong wind.
Install a Eagletree Guardian and fly it in 2D mode on super windy days. I have flown a 17 ounce Superfly on days when even the guys with giant scale gassers were grounded.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:18 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
537 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
T-28 and T-28D

Are the T-28D (Air Force Gray) and the T-28 (Navy Red/White) fuselage, wing, tail etc identical except for the paint scheme? The wind got hold of my T-28D and it took some damage. Since the D isn't made anymore and most D parts are out of stock I was just curious if the T-28 parts were identical.

TIA
Skydeamon1 is offline Find More Posts by Skydeamon1
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:14 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,994 Posts
Yes. Interchangeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydeamon1 View Post
Are the T-28D (Air Force Gray) and the T-28 (Navy Red/White) fuselage, wing, tail etc identical except for the paint scheme? The wind got hold of my T-28D and it took some damage. Since the D isn't made anymore and most D parts are out of stock I was just curious if the T-28 parts were identical.

TIA
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:16 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,843 Posts
Here is my take - the T-28 Drone!

Wolf Racer - Maiden (0 min 0 sec)
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:19 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,843 Posts
Btw, I am trying to find a good motor that gives good speed but also good flight times (> 15min) on a 3S 2700 ..

I currently use a NTM 35-36 1400kV with a 9x3, 10x4 and 11x4 prop (depending what I am doing) - flights are fast (50 - 90mph - I GPS clocked the top at around 120mph) but flight times are small (about 4-6min).

Anyone has recommendations?
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi