HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:44 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
The timer on my DX7s is set to 8 minutes for my PZ T-28 Trojan and I usually fly her scale at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle; I land when my timer reads one minute to go. When I land I still have about 35% battery left on my 3s 2200 11.1v 50c battery from HeadsUP RC.
Exactly what I do and get as far as Flight Time.

I am conservative on my Lithium Polymers so, I do not fly over 8 minutes.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:45 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,376 Posts
voltage alarms are sweet! i love mine. just use my transmitter timer as a reference now. just us the up timer function no need for the alarm as the in-plane is more accurate. i just let mine lay free in the plane. never had a problem.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:57 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,526 Posts
The telemetry on the Dx8 is pretty sweet, too, and does this. I use it on my Hurricane and will be adding the telemetry to every plane I can. It's just too valuable to have that information.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:11 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
The telemetry on the Dx8 is pretty sweet, too, and does this. I use it on my Hurricane and will be adding the telemetry to every plane I can. It's just too valuable to have that information.
man i have that on my mentor and its pretty crazy to have the voltage alarm on it. i did it cause i have put a lot of money on that plane.. besides is really beautiful so i don't wanna be running short period of time being too careful about the battery running way too low and loose my model. i just love it. honestly on a trojan i just think is overkill but if i had the money, i will do it with my eyes closed.. in fact.. im gonna get a TM1000 module every now and then i definetly need one for my P-47 too
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:44 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,737 Posts
Chuck and Carlos,

I'm getting the same flight times as well, with pretty much the same flying style. I usually fly what amounts to a sport/scale aerobatic routine with lots of scale rolls, loops, half-Cubans, inverted half-Cubans, etc. I mix that with 40-50% throttle flying around letting her cool off, then into another series of maneuvers.

Plenty of power for me to do these manuevers in a scale manner (I'm flying 20-30C batteries depending on my mood !) with the completely stock power-train and prop.

Blinkguy, yes, the battery leads are supposed to go towards the front and then the battery slides full forward in the little pocket....at least by design. Then plop the canopy on and the battery is held in place by the little retainer on the bottom of the canopy. It's really a clever design. I've never tampered with anything on my model, so it always astounds me when folks say they had to cut this and that to get 3S2200's to fit...I fly on a variety of 3S2200's and mine all fit perfectly But, I'm glad you're enjoyng your T-28...it's all about the flying !

John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,794 Posts
thats true my friend!!!! t-28.. i remember my first flight with it, previously flow plane was apprentice, super cub... i was like.. damn!!! this is gonna be my all out plane!!! this is gonna be fun!!! y have 6 planes now.. and this is my plane that never EVER miss the field trip!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:01 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,578 Posts
Hmm, having smacked my Trojan enough times to always want to have one in service, I grabbed a used Air Force one at a fly in. Aftermarket motor, a Neo 480 Neodym 1000kv, feeding a relatively burly unmarked ESC with black heat shrink on it, running deans.

He said the prop was unbalanced and would vibrate, so I should replace it before I fly it. Well I pull the prop and it's an APC 10x11, which when I start digging specs on the motor is far higher pitch than recommended for the prop.

If I get a chance I'll ask the guy what packs he ran on it, but what size you think this ESC may be, what size packs should I use, and should I stick with that prop size or adjust?

Will try and get pics later.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:43 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
What pack voltage setting do you use?

I'm just setting mine up and have a tm1000 I'm going to put in it.

Thanks,
ronaldj is online now Find More Posts by ronaldj
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:12 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
Like Carlos, I land them after 8 minutes.
I have enough batteries to fly continuosly as long as I want if I charge them at the field.

In any event I use the T28 as a relaxing plane in between flights with Glow-motor planes (aerobatics and warbirds).

Regarding the telemetry, I'd spend the money on more batteries instead of these gizmo's.

I have one and don't bother with it. on my glow planes I use batteries that are large enough to fly 8-10 flights, but check them after 3 or 4 flights to be on the safe side.

by looking after te Lipo's I've been able to do so far about 80-100 flights on each and they still work like new.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:29 AM
AMA 52726
Joined Jun 2005
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
What pack voltage setting do you use?

I'm just setting mine up and have a tm1000 I'm going to put in it.

Thanks,
Answering in a PM to keep this thread on-track.

I just heard from my T-28 student today that he's flying solo successfully now. It's such a cool feeling to have taught someone to fly. The T-28 is a bit advanced for some to start with, but with teenagers with years of experience playing flying games on the computer, this might be just the right thing to get 'em started.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:35 AM
AMA 52726
Joined Jun 2005
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi,
Regarding the telemetry, I'd spend the money on more batteries instead of these gizmo's.

Brgds,
Danny
One can only have so many batteries. lol.

I used to believe the same as you until I tried the telemetry module. It's really useful for finding out if you're getting any holds or locks on your receiver (loss of signal), and especially when trying out new ESC/motor/prop combinations. I get RPM, temperature, watts, and battery voltage real-time and logged. There's no better data than in-flight data. I will take that over bench data any day.

Just my two cents.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,794 Posts
Quote:
One can only have so many batteries. lol.

I used to believe the same as you until I tried the telemetry module. It's really useful for finding out if you're getting any holds or locks on your receiver (loss of signal), and especially when trying out new ESC/motor/prop combinations. I get RPM, temperature, watts, and battery voltage real-time and logged. There's no better data than in-flight data. I will take that over bench data any day.

Just my two cents.

it is cool stuff, if you ask me, and for 40 dollars mmm... its like somebody putting a external BEC on all his planes, might be a little overkill... but hey! you never know
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:42 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,891 Posts
this telemetry module is part of the dx8?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
this telemetry module is part of the dx8?
some bundles come with it!! my DX8 came without it for a cheaper price.. so they have two retail boxes.. one with the telemetry module and a receiver, i believe its the ar8000 and the one without any TM or RX
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,891 Posts
thanks.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl