HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,582 Posts
I've been using 2200's since I've owned mine and trimmed absolutely nothing...are they 3S or 4S?
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:57 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,518 Posts
@BrownEyedFool - some tips, if you need them, below on keeping the batt in place:

as shown in the attached pics, you can also use a piece of foam taped appropriately in the canopy to be a battery position limiter. but what seems to do most of the job is keeping the battery slot tight (in fact someone here on the thread recommended keeping a snug slot when my canopy kept falling off due to bad magnet and i couldn't rely on the canopy that much). as shown in the battery slot pic, there is an extra piece of foam (black colored) keeping the battery slot snug. i use the foam from the boxes e-flite motors come in. just the right amount of sponginess.

hope this helps.

ps - i still use 2200s. the reason for cutting the foam up on my canopy was since the installation of my 60A esc resulted in me needing the battery a bit farther back. had no need to cut while i had the stock esc.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Last edited by cmdl; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: ps
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:09 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,533 Posts
3s Turnigy, generally the very front edge of the battery was wedged into the battery tunnel, providing a tight fit and feeding the battery wires through the tunnel.

I put 4 half inch squares of velcro on either side of that central channel and used 4 more squares to mount the lite ply over the channel so the longer 2200 would have support. But the top of the ply was plain wood, and the heat shrink of the pack may have slid on it if the strap wasn't tight enough. In future the ply and the pack will have velcro. I'll also triple check cg just in case I had the pack too far back in general (I hadn't flown it in 6 weeks and had changed to a heavier motor, my memory may have been faulty of where exact to locate cg.

Anyway the underside of canopy is cut, I can rebuild it easily if I want to with a slice of velcro and a block of foam with more velcro to make it adjustable.

But again, before I dip this puppy in boiling water to straighten the compression, any tips?

edit: Did some quick searching in the thread and gave it a shot, I think I smoothed it out some. Will let it dry tonight and do some reinforcement tomorrow and glue it back together.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Last edited by BrownEyedFool; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:20 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
I've been using 2200's since I've owned mine and trimmed absolutely nothing...are they 3S or 4S?
i had to do it with small gens ace 2200 3s.. but i guess i had to do it cause i was really putting the lipo the wrong way. I mean, with the connectors on the back, but i guess I had to do it inserting the connectors head first into the pocket.. Im I right?
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:24 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,794 Posts
Yeah, I've been flying with Turnigy 2200 3s batteries in my PZ T-28 and haven't had to cut the canopy at all.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:32 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,745 Posts
i guess at the time i got it i was just too anxious and made the wrong call
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
240 Posts
So new t-28 owner! I just purchased mine yesterday. Took it out for the maiden flight today. Wow! Its amazing . i have been missing out with my super cub. So i read online that people are flying around 6 minutes? is that correct? So about 5:30 into the flight and the motor sputtered a couple times, i brought her in to land. i checked on the ground to and the motor spools up perfect but starts to sputter at higher throttle... So my question is whats going on? Is this the LVC? thanks for any tips
christian
orangephoner is online now Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:01 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangephoner View Post
So new t-28 owner! I just purchased mine yesterday. Took it out for the maiden flight today. Wow! Its amazing . i have been missing out with my super cub. So i read online that people are flying around 6 minutes? is that correct? So about 5:30 into the flight and the motor sputtered a couple times, i brought her in to land. i checked on the ground to and the motor spools up perfect but starts to sputter at higher throttle... So my question is whats going on? Is this the LVC? thanks for any tips
christian
Sounds like LVC.

On 2200 mAh batteries, I get 6 minutes of solid flight with one minute to get on the ground. I've never seen a battery of mine recharge more than 900 mAh, so I'm thinking that's about the right time for my flying style and my batteries. If you're flying lots of WOT on the 1800 mAh battery, you may be hitting LVC sooner rather than later.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:05 AM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
christian
The Low Voltage Cut Off will start pulsing the motor when it is reached, reducing the throttle will stop the pulsing but you should land when that happens. If you are using an 1800 mAh battery you should be able to get 6 mins. of flight time out of a fully charged lipo. I use 2200 mAh batteries in my T-28 and set my timer for 10 mins. You probably should get a lipo voltage tester to measure your battery voltage pre-flight and post flight to see exactly where you are at and adjust your flight times accordingly.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:57 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Please buy a lipo voltage alarm. Worth weight in gold. Remove all the guess work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2in1-Ind...item3a7949ba79
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
240 Posts
Thank you for the help. I am going to buy that right now. How does that alarm work tho? Does it attach to the battery and I can hear it when I'm flying? Never used one.
orangephoner is online now Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:28 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the help. I am going to buy that right now. How does that alarm work tho? Does it attach to the battery and I can hear it when I'm flying? Never used one.
It attaches to the balance lead. Also displays the voltage on the pack, and each cell in a display loop. Nice and quick way to check a pack. I would buy a 2-3 to have on hand. I put female velco (soft) on back of alarm and male on top side of battery to keep it secure as a unit with the battery.
Tip: Stick matted velco square on the back side alarm first, install on balance lead, remove remaining sticky sheet, push whole setup on battery. This helps align the alarm on the battery within the constraints of lead length you have. I would "dry" fit it first in the plane before sticking anything. Some plane compartments don't allow that and you may just need to free-dangle the alarm in the open space you have.

It will be quite loud when it hits the voltage cut off (you can adjust the trigger V with a button). This allows you to land even before LVC, which is a good thing and saved me couple times already. Saved me once also on a brutal cold day. A fresh pack went low-volt during take off. Was able to set it down right away.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:42 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
You just have to make sure that your ESC threshold is set lower than your alarm, right? So if your ESC is set to 3.7 (which most of mine are) and you have battery alarm at 3.3...it will probably never come on. Have to adjust ESC accordingly, I'm guessing.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:22 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
You just have to make sure that your ESC threshold is set lower than your alarm, right? So if your ESC is set to 3.7 (which most of mine are) and you have battery alarm at 3.3...it will probably never come on. Have to adjust ESC accordingly, I'm guessing.
I would always set alarm (range of 2.7-3.8v) higher then ESC. 3.3v is Alarms default as you show. So increase alarm or take ESC lower (or both). At 3.3v alarm default and HH planes, it works about perfect for my stock ESCs. Have one or two laps after alarm goes off to land before ESC LVC.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:28 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,794 Posts
The timer on my DX7s is set to 8 minutes for my PZ T-28 Trojan and I usually fly her scale at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle; I land when my timer reads one minute to go. When I land I still have about 35% battery left on my 3s 2200 11.1v 50c battery from HeadsUP RC.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69