SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:31 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacula View Post
Edit and Question: When I said stock batteries, I should have said 2200mah 30c from hobbyking... i've got 8. I had a hard time getting the canopy on because of the battery size, and used a rubber band that really didn't work all that well. Are people just cutting some of the foam for a better fit? Also, should I be using a different prop, or could I use a different prop and what would be the advantage? Thanks in advance for any replies.
I don't know why people feel they have to cut the canopy away....if you want to, then go ahead....but you don't have to. I've been flying mine on a variety of batteries, mostly purchased from Hobby King, and with a few good ones from Horizon Hobby. Most are in the 20C range (that's all you really need for this model to have a good time...), some are in the 25C range, and some are in the 30C range. I really like the Zippy brand batteries, and Turnigy are pretty good too. I've had the most success with 20C batteries I bought from Horizon Hobby. I have alot of batteries. I've also standardized on XT-60 connectors for my fleet...everything has 'em except the the new Archer and my trusty old Super Cub...

If you absolutely feel like you have to mod away, then by all means, mod away. I'm just saying you don't have to....I personally like the handy little pocket Parkzone designed into the plane....it holds them in nicely and you don't need velcro.

John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:47 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,375 Posts
sweet skyraider! what brand?
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,725 Posts
Durafly...it's a real gem, and I've had it for about 9 months.

Check out the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...581663&page=98

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:45 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Oh man JustWingIt...you need some battery storage options.

I have about that many batteries too. I store them in Pyrex baking casserole dishes from Walmart or anywhere else in case of a short and fire. Your wall would go into blazes in a hurry if one of those batteries short circuited.

One of my buddies stores his in a BBQ pit...another stores his in an ammo box and puts that in his fireplace (that I assume he never uses).

Just an idea...

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Feb 2013
58 Posts
Holy batteries Batman!! How do you use all of them? I'd be too tired charging them.
TrojanMan is offline Find More Posts by TrojanMan
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:02 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,781 Posts
believe me.. its never enough i have 15 lipos and at the end of the day im like.. can i go home and recharge ahaha
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,725 Posts
I have about 5 or 6 each of different C ratings; from 20-25C for the T-28, all the way to 35-40C for the Skyraider and Freewing Focke-Wulf as that's all I really need. I fly my models scale and that's all the juice I need. I also have quite a few 1300's for my Wildcat, but they're all 20C because that's all she needs. Clearly I don't fly through them all in one sitting....not enough time !

I usually bring about 5 or 6 2200's and 5-6 1300's and feed the little beasts. If you think about it, that's good for at least 2 hours at my little field....plenty for me. When I drive down to the drylake (30 mins each way) then I'll take a few more batteries and stay a little longer. Having that many batteries gives you options...

Thanks Russ for your concern, but batteries don't just spontaneously explode; usually you have to drop them, leave them unbalanced, etc. I take really good care of my batteries. Handle them properly, don't puff 'em, keep 'em balanced, etc. I'll probably eventually put them in a ammo can as they're fire-proof and I have plenty of 'em around where I work...

Off to fly the T-28 before work !

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:30 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
John,

Please don't take me as an alarmist but sometimes they do.

Of the very few lipo accidents that I have personally witnessed, most have involved either charging accidents (wrong polarities connected) or crashes, or just flown too hard to LVC and beyond.

I had one about 6 months ago that came unsoldered from the connector and touched wires and it puffed, smoked, then spewed out fire for about 20 seconds. If it hadn't been in the pyrex, it would have certainly at least caught my table on fire.

By the way John, love those A-10 pics on your Blog!

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:29 AM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,502 Posts
+1

My buddy, who has a similar stack like that has said many times " Dude, I've been doing this for years and have never had an issue". 2 weeks ago, while trimming flashing off a control horn, dropped a razor which hit a lipo and instantly, it ignited like a rocket engine!

He was able to get it out of his home before catching it on fire but took sacrificial hand burns.

It's all fun & games, 'till you burn your house down!
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
Of the very few lipo accidents that I have personally witnessed, most have involved either charging accidents (wrong polarities connected) or crashes, or just flown too hard to LVC and beyond.

I had one about 6 months ago that came unsoldered from the connector and touched wires and it puffed, smoked, then spewed out fire for about 20 seconds. If it hadn't been in the pyrex, it would have certainly at least caught my table on fire.

By the way John, love those A-10 pics on your Blog!

Russ
Like I said...they don't just spontaneously explode...some form of human intervention is usually required !

Thanks for the comments about the little "airshow"...sometimes I wonder why I've stayed in for so long, and sometimes I know why...days when you can watch and observe destruction like that are why I've stayed in for so long! It's a blast....literally !

Cheers my friend,
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:56 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,294 Posts
This is what I use to store and carry my Lithium Polymers and they are available at the HOBBY TOWN USA store in Melbourne, Florida (SR-192) and East of Interstate I-95.

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:21 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
This is what I use to store and carry my Lithium Polymers and they are available at the HOBBY TOWN USA store in Melbourne, Florida (SR-192) and East of Interstate I-95.

a picture is worth a thousand words. thanks for that. i'm thinking of getting a metal box for my lipos now.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Feb 2013
58 Posts
I made a metal container for charging my LiPos. I'll have to post pics sometime. I had a scary accident last year where one went up in flames in my bedroom. Luckily I reacted quickly and shoved it in my (plastic) trashcan next to my desk and ran it outside. I now have a metal trashcan in my bedroom .

The ammo box is a neat idea. I'm gonna try to find one online.
TrojanMan is offline Find More Posts by TrojanMan
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:45 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Army/Navy surplus outlets anywhere...in Houston we have lots of 'em so easy to find for $10 to $30 depending on sizes. You can also order online from many of the surplus stores but shipping is going to be expensive!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Beware of the cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
OK, the consensus seems to be, don't rush it, wait for warmer weather and fly with a mentor to get started. Not what I wanted to hear, but I needed to hear it. Thanks all.

So once it arrives, I'll get it setup and admire it while I fly it on the sim till spring. But next winter, once I have a bunch of batteries under my belt, winter flying is doable.

Tell me, how realistic is the Phoenix Trojan t28d compared to the real thing?

Again thanks for the advise.
Yeah, I'd recommend waiting for warmer weather as well. I just got my T-28 in early January and you really have to watch out in below zero weather The tape that holds down the horizontal stabilizer (as well as the cosmetic tape that covers the reinforcing spar in the wing) loses its tack in the cold. I ended up nearly crashing after the tape stiffened and the pushrod pushed the stabilizer out of alignment. I "fixed" this with a dab of glue to hold it in place, but since then I've had two other incidents with the cold. One of them was losing the cosmetic tape I mentioned above (in a dive...it just rattled the plane and flew off) and the other was losing about 1/2 of the horizontal stabilizer control surface in flight. One hard turn and "snap!" It is a testament to the plane that it was still partially controllable in that state and I was able to land safely.
olli0005 is offline Find More Posts by olli0005