SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:39 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realms View Post
Each to their own bud! I'd get bored of that pretty quickly it certainly looks unique floating around like that!
I Love to experiment with different Props my good Lad. This is how I found out that you can make the STOCK power system on these models shine with the Master Airscrew 3-Blade (10 X 7 X 3).
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:02 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
This is how I found out that you can make the STOCK power system on these models shine with the Master Airscrew 3-Blade (10 X 7 X 3).
+10

This model responds really well to that prop; my new favorite

John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:33 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
That sound is not because the Prop is out of balance (If it was it would tear up the first generation cheap plastic Motor Mount).

That is the sound of the Typical Flex of the GWS Plastic Blades.
oh, well in that case. that sounds awesome.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:56 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,793 Posts
Quote:
If that's the case, why don't you seek a "WATT METER" especially made for our hobby. I have an old Astro Flight Watt Meter but, does not have any way to keep (record) the test parameters after disconnecting so, I have to resort to Video capture. The new Watt Meters for our hobby now have memory and battery backup so, it flashes the highest attained Test Parameters after you disconnect.

If you are seeking something that has a dual purpose then, I have a Craftsman AMP Meter (Clamp Around) DC that does great and it is on the cheap side compared to the other True RMS meters.

Here is the new Craftsman AC/DC AMP (Clamp Around) Meter and oh, by the way the Clamp around meter you do not have to place the meter between the circuit as it measures using inductive pickup.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digit...p-03482369000P

you're right Pitt - i should have gone for the right tool and i plan to get this one: http://secure.hobbyzone.com/EFLA110.html
was recommended on the spit thread. thanks for the clamp meter recommendation.

ps - i did check out clamp meters last night and yours looks pretty nice.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:23 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
736 Posts
I just maidened the 3536-1200kV / 9x6 prop setup. I first had to repclace the stock ESC with a 40Amp.
Definitely faster than the stock setup, but again not any "really fast" impression. First chance, I will buy and try a 8x7 prop to see if it gets any better. If not, I guess next step will be 4S...
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:42 PM
Aaron
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
I just maidened the 3536-1200kV / 9x6 prop setup. I first had to repclace the stock ESC with a 40Amp.
Definitely faster than the stock setup, but again not any "really fast" impression. First chance, I will buy and try a 8x7 prop to see if it gets any better. If not, I guess next step will be 4S...
You won't get enough rpm out of that motor to get speed put of a prop that size. Try a 10x7 or 11x7 2 blade and you'll find it rips on 3s.
Realms is online now Find More Posts by Realms
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:50 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
736 Posts
That's good to know. I already have plenty of these prop sizes, so I ll give them a try.
I forgot to say that flight time dropped a lot from the stock setup. A 1800mAh used to give me +7min and now I get only 4 mins. But I don't care to sacrifice flight time for speed
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:54 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,793 Posts
Quote:
You won't get enough rpm out of that motor to get speed put of a prop that size. Try a 10x7 or 11x7 2 blade and you'll find it rips on 3s.
+1. do not do that. i thought that pitch at the expense of diameter would help me and it almost cost me my spitfire. you need to go 4s first to make those diameters work. pitch won't help you out of it.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:26 PM
Aaron
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,691 Posts
10x7 is really the perfect match for 3s high kv setups if you want speed and unlimited vertical. On the E-Flite Power 10 I get 6 min flights if I fly with mixed throttle on 2200's.
Realms is online now Find More Posts by Realms
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:20 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,766 Posts
i was living in another planet. i always believed higher kvs equals to smaller props.. geez
BlinkguY is offline Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:34 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,267 Posts
Quote:
10x7 is really the perfect match for 3s high kv setups if you want speed and unlimited vertical. On the E-Flite Power 10 I get 6 min flights if I fly with mixed throttle on 2200's.
Realms,

You left a few details out such as what is the Discharge Capacity of the 2200's you are using. If they are anything above 25C discharge then, they are larger and thereby heavier.

Also, what brand and type is the 10 X 7? APC? Slow Flyer or "E" or Sport?

The E-Flite Power 10 is a 1,100Kv motor and it will certainly put out good power and RPMs. However, it seems like lots of people Judge their power system entirely from the measured WATTs and that does NOT tell you the entire story. Perhaps for you it might but, I am taking this opportunity for others here to take or leave my findings on this matter.

The more larger the Propeller the more the motor gets loaded down, Period. If you have the 10 X 7 in the APC "E" for example and assuming those 2200's are at least 25C discharge you will get a maximum AMP draw around 35-AMPs with 79% efficiency and around 65-MPH Pitch Speed (This is ideal and not calculating any Airframe Aerodynamic factors/parameters).

If you consider the STOCK Park Zone 2-Blade, 9.5 X 7.5 Propeller you will reduce the AMP draw down to right at 30-AMPs maximum (Full Throttle) with 82% efficiency and around 71-MPH Pitch Speed.

Yes, the 10 X 7 has a Watts output after efficiency calculation at: 289 Watts (9,785 RPMs)

The Park Zone 9.5 X 7.5 has a Watts output after efficiency calculation at: 270 Watts. (9,990 RPMs)

The larger Propeller Diameter, the more heat, magnetic losses etc....

For speed you need to keep the Diameter down to be able for the motor to rotate faster RPM. The speed will be in the Pitch Selection.

Now for even Higher Pitch Speeds you need to bring down the Diameter one level (Inch or so) lower and depending on the targeted Speed and Airframe you have the need for even higher Voltage system might be recommended.

The goal here is the get the maximum RPM at the Motor output shaft to take advantage of the higher Propeller Pitch.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:47 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,267 Posts
Quote:
Again, your comments are lacking details as to what type of batteries you used in this maiden flight? What was the Discharge rating? Are they new batteries and at what Voltage Top-Off did they charge to?

I personally do not trust any specifications from Hobby King / Hobby City and for serious Speeds I go with the expensive motors with high quality magnets and bearings. Now, I did experiment with a QUANNUM 36-55 which at the time was a Hobby King motor with 1350Kv and it was just fantastic and unfortunately they are no long available. The motor was not cheap from any motors you see up at their web site today but, it was worth every penny.

I can not say what your next move / recommendations might be since a few details are missing from your end.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:40 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,996 Posts
Isn't the stock prop 9.5 x 7.5? I am using a 11x7 on 4S.

If you have any prop questions, I suggest if you or anybody has a prop question, PM PittSpecial as he is the prop guru extradenare (sp?) supreme for this airframe. He will guide you.

Quote:
rdcskkrose is online now Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Feb 01, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:05 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,361 Posts
i too am pretty happy with the mas 10x7x3 prop. mine is balanced and is very quiet. just a smooth whiring sound. lovely!
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:04 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,650 Posts
Mine is noisy....but I like it; you can tell it's alive !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member