accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Thank you.
No problem

The rest of the setup: stock 9.5x7.5 prop, Castle 54 amp esc, and Custom RC Parts billet aluminum motor mount. Excellent vertical, good 5 minute flight time. Static test with wattmeter @ full throttle draws 46amps with 2200mAh 40C 3s lipo.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
Last edited by accel8or; Jan 29, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:56 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,122 Posts
upgrade time

the old girl finally got her power 15 and the spit's stock 15 BL is consigned to storage after just 6 flights on the t-28. she gets a 60A esc just like the spit. she will swing a 10.5x9 extra 300 prop but now i don't get to go to wot all the time since its too much for this motor. i found out by trying that on the spit.

ps - the spit's getting a power 25 upgrade
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:04 AM
Aaron
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
the old girl finally got her power 15 and the spit's stock 15 BL is consigned to storage after just 6 flights on the t-28. she gets a 60A esc just like the spit. she will swing a 10.5x9 extra 300 prop but now i don't get to go to wot all the time since its too much for this motor. i found out by trying that on the spit.

Wow, that's going to really haul ass. You might want to get a aftermarket motor mount as a Power 10 is enough to crack the stockie mount.
Realms is offline Find More Posts by Realms
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:09 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,950 Posts
Quote:

With that propeller selection and motor (assuming 3-Cell Lithium Polymers) the power system will demand close to 40 AMP current draw, 84% eff., 74 MPH, 77oz static thrust and 321 Watts at wide open.

If airspeed is what you are looking for at the cost of some static thrust then, consider the APC SPORT 9 X 8 as it will provide 72 MPH, 51oz static thrust, 84% Eff., and best of all the power system will draw 22 AMPs @ 196 Watts. The batteries and motor will Love you for this propeller selection.

I have used this APC Sport 9 X 8 propeller on my Electricfly Super Sportster EP with very good results.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:55 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realms View Post
Wow, that's going to really haul ass. You might want to get a aftermarket motor mount as a Power 10 is enough to crack the stockie mount.
thanks Realms. i have an extra spitfire motor mount that i could throw on her - i'm guessing that one should be good enough for this motor since it is meant for a 15 size motor? i'm surprised, the stock motor mount doesn't look that flimsy to me. are there any posts related to that you could link me to? mostly finding stuff about crashes when i search the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
With that propeller selection and motor (assuming 3-Cell Lithium Polymers) the power system will demand close to 40 AMP current draw, 84% eff., 74 MPH, 77oz static thrust and 321 Watts at wide open.

If airspeed is what you are looking for at the cost of some static thrust then, consider the APC SPORT 9 X 8 as it will provide 72 MPH, 51oz static thrust, 84% Eff., and best of all the power system will draw 22 AMPs @ 196 Watts. The batteries and motor will Love you for this propeller selection.

I have used this APC Sport 9 X 8 propeller on my Electricfly Super Sportster EP with very good results.
thanks. Pitt. has anyone tried out the 9 x 8 on their trojan? reason i'm asking is i'm wary of smaller diameter props now. i tried one on my spit and it didn't do well. while i realize thats a different plane , i'd like confirmation of the 9" performance on the trojan before i try. but yes, i wouldn't mind more airspeed which also goes easy on the batts and motor - in fact, its just what i am looking for. appreciate all the info. this is of great help to me.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:06 AM
happy landings
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,413 Posts
Here's the link - http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...tc73b8s8c14094
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:58 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
thanks. will be getting one for the spit too.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:27 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
the ONLY problem with having an awesome motor mount like that is if you have a nasty nose-in with the ground you are more likely to smash your firewall and have to buy a new fuselage since they don't sell replacements. I have a billion good things to say about the t-28 and only 1 negative. I do wish they made a replacement firewall. You will love that motor mount though!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:18 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,950 Posts
Quote:
thanks. Pitt. has anyone tried out the 9 x 8 on their trojan? reason i'm asking is i'm wary of smaller diameter props now. i tried one on my spit and it didn't do well. while i realize thats a different plane , i'd like confirmation of the 9" performance on the trojan before i try. but yes, i wouldn't mind more airspeed which also goes easy on the batts and motor - in fact, its just what i am looking for. appreciate all the info. this is of great help to me.
I did say that I have used this propeller on a larger and heavier model known as the Great Planes "Electrifly" Super Sportster EP with a modified Brushless inrunner such as the QUANNUM 36-55 (1350Kv) and using the APC "Sport" 9 X 8.

If you like to see Airspeed then, feast your eyes on this....

For High Resolution In-Flight pictures:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2649

EDIT: At 2:02 see the battery hatch rip off from the model due to too much Airspeed!

Quannum 36-55 powered Super Sportster EP (4 min 22 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Jan 30, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:06 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,970 Posts
+1 - $30 for a new firewall.

I run the stock motor mount with the P15 on 4S. I want that to be the weak breaking point from experience. LOL. Never had one break that was not self induced.

Quote:
the ONLY problem with having an awesome motor mount like that is if you have a nasty nose-in with the ground you are more likely to smash your firewall and have to buy a new fuselage since they don't sell replacements. I have a billion good things to say about the t-28 and only 1 negative. I do wish they made a replacement firewall. You will love that motor mount though!
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:13 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I am motor shopping...
I like the way I used to be able to float around at what seemed like walking speed with the stock motor. BUT, I also like to have the power to go vertical if I feel like it. I don't need to to 70mph though. I would like to find a motor that doesn't weigh much more than the stock motor but will give me the guts that I need. I don't remember the specs on the stock motor. Does anyone have that info on hand?
What would you think of this motor?
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-10%29/Detail
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:16 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
+1 - $30 for a new firewall.

I run the stock motor mount with the P15 on 4S. I want that to be the weak breaking point from experience. LOL. Never had one break that was not self induced.
thanks. interestingly that was also mentioned on the spit forum. that some folks may be fine with the stock mount. i can see that too. motor mounts are < $10. so you haven't seen any cracks in your mount?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:21 PM
Aaron
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
I am motor shopping...
I like the way I used to be able to float around at what seemed like walking speed with the stock motor. BUT, I also like to have the power to go vertical if I feel like it. I don't need to to 70mph though. I would like to find a motor that doesn't weigh much more than the stock motor but will give me the guts that I need. I don't remember the specs on the stock motor. Does anyone have that info on hand?
Get yourself an E-Flite Power 10 or Turnigy G10 if you're on a budget. I run this setup with a 10x7 APC prop and it still flies docile or will go unlimited vertical if you want. Look back through this thread to see video of my setup.
Realms is offline Find More Posts by Realms
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:23 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,950 Posts
Quote:
thanks. interestingly that was also mentioned on the spit forum. that some folks may be fine with the stock mount. i can see that too. motor mounts are < $10. so you haven't seen any cracks in your mount?
If you buy a replacement, you will see more plastic mold on all replacement Park Zone Motor mounts!

Left is Stock and Right is Replacement!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:29 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,950 Posts
Quote:
I am motor shopping...
Anything that withstands more Watts will be in fact heavier.

I have tried STOCK Park Zone 480 and the Park Zone 15 and the AXI 2826 and can tell you the more powerful motors will result in more wing loading and certainly higher Capacity Lithium Polymers (heavier batts). There is just nothing for Free....you pay to go faster.
RCG Plus Member