Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Airforce T-28D Trojan:

I use nothing except the Model Masters Acrylic Paints and for the Blue:

http://www.testors.com/products/136805

It maybe a little off but, I liked the slight darker shade as it gives it a better contrast to it while in the Air and you can see it better.

Grey is already part of the color of the foam and I have not as of yet matched it with any color, however, you can go to this web site and select a close match:
(Make sure you see them all by selecting NEXT at the lower Right side):

http://www.testors.com/category/136645/Acryl_Paints
thanks, Air force grey & blue have been out of stock at LHS for awhile so I went for the navy version (stab. was all white )
onothimagain is offline Find More Posts by onothimagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:34 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,819 Posts
passed 100 flights with lunchtime flying
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:05 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,018 Posts
Spray paint for these foamies is Krylon spray for plastics. Many colors. Available here in the Denver area at Walmart.
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:12 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,494 Posts
congrats on making it to the triple digits! im at 131 with my t-28 at the moment.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:28 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
passed 100 flights with lunchtime flying
Nice... i dont even keep a log with my planes... dont even know where im at right now... might need to start keeping flight logs... its cool to know how many flight you have on one model
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
I quit counting how many flights I had on my T-28, it was probably in the mid to upper 40's. as of Sunday though it safely resides in a trash bag now. I usually blame my crashes on my dumb thumbs, but this time I honestly have no clue what happened. I was in a bank making a wide turn, at about 60% throttle and all the sudden it came straight down. I tried to pull it out because I seemed to be plenty high enough but it had no response.

So it kind of blew apart when it hit the ground, puffed the battery which I found about 15 feet away, pushed the motor up into the fuse, ect.. ect... The motor shaft got pushed back into the motor but it didnt warp. I think that and the esc was salvageable along with the servos. That was about it. Oh well it lasted a lot longer than I expected for a first plane. I'm sure I will order another airframe soon!
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:56 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,062 Posts
Very sorry to hear that....

Hope you can replace her soon
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
I quit counting how many flights I had on my T-28, it was probably in the mid to upper 40's. as of Sunday though it safely resides in a trash bag now. I usually blame my crashes on my dumb thumbs, but this time I honestly have no clue what happened. I was in a bank making a wide turn, at about 60% throttle and all the sudden it came straight down. I tried to pull it out because I seemed to be plenty high enough but it had no response.

So it kind of blew apart when it hit the ground, puffed the battery which I found about 15 feet away, pushed the motor up into the fuse, ect.. ect... The motor shaft got pushed back into the motor but it didnt warp. I think that and the esc was salvageable along with the servos. That was about it. Oh well it lasted a lot longer than I expected for a first plane. I'm sure I will order another airframe soon!

Do it man.. out of my 5 planes... shes the one i do fly more relax and fun
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:37 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
congrats on making it to the triple digits! im at 131 with my t-28 at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Nice... i dont even keep a log with my planes... dont even know where im at right now... might need to start keeping flight logs... its cool to know how many flight you have on one model
thanks guys. yeah, i keep a log to record battery performance. helps me also count number of flights.

Quote:

very sorry to hear of your crash. hope you get back up on a new one.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:58 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Very sorry to hear that....

Hope you can replace her soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Do it man.. out of my 5 planes... shes the one i do fly more relax and fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
very sorry to hear of your crash. hope you get back up on a new one.
Thanks guys, I'm almost positive I will get another airframe. I really liked my T-28 and it taught me a lot. Take offs, landings, flying in a circuit, loops, rolls, flying in heavy wind, upgrading power systems, foam repairs, reinforcements ect..

I've pretty much salvaged all the hardware and electronics from it. I still have my original motor, I just need a stock esc if I decide to make one stock again. Last night I decided to take a couple wrinkles from the nose of my radian pro but I didnt want to use the hot water trick because when I did that with my T-28 it gave me alligator skin looking foam. I tried something new, I used a hair drier. Even the crashed T-28 came in handy because I practiced on it with some bent foam just to see how close and how long I could keep the heat on it to pull the wrinkles out without bubbling the foam.

I finally got a pretty good technique down, went to my radian and it turned out perfectly like they was never there. So much better than hot water I was amazed. So even though the T-28 is in a trash bag, I'm still gonna keep it around just for experimenting with different ways to repair, maybe for a scrap of z-foam if needed for another plane and such.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,062 Posts
Quote:
So even though the T-28 is in a trash bag, I'm still gonna keep it around just for experimenting with different ways to repair, maybe for a scrap of z-foam if needed for another plane and such.
That's awesome; now you can use her like those poor old worn-out planes in A&P classes
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:05 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:

I tried something new, I used a hair drier. Even the crashed T-28 came in handy because I practiced on it with some bent foam just to see how close and how long I could keep the heat on it to pull the wrinkles out without bubbling the foam.

I finally got a pretty good technique down, went to my radian and it turned out perfectly like they was never there. So much better than hot water I was amazed. So even though the T-28 is in a trash bag, I'm still gonna keep it around just for experimenting with different ways to repair, maybe for a scrap of z-foam if needed for another plane and such.
Imagine that?

Last week I did the same thing on the Flyzone Millennium Master TxR and posted over at the thread.

Boy, it is amazing how we all think the same

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:40 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Sorry about your crash. I always analyze any problems I have until I find an answer so I can avoid them in the future. For the hardest situations I sometime did not figure it out for weeks.
Which way was the wind blowing? Did a gust hit your tail?
Did you try moving the ailerons or rudder as you went down? If the plane was stalled, up elevator has no affect other than guarantee a crash. Did the plane spin as it went in?
How many minutes had you flown - how strong was the battery?
Where was the antenna in the plane at that orientation? Behind the battery? I use two antenna in every plane in different places.(6210)
Which way was your tx antenna pointing that day? How far was the plane from you?
How much reserve did your ESC have for your load? I use a 50 CC Amp ESC in my T-28. I like margin on every critical part.
Do you have any accessories or extra servos pulling amps from the BEC? I use a separate 10A CC BEC in most of my planes.
-- Suggestions to consider -- Good luck.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Jan 08, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Since the Park Zone T-28D Airforce has been discontinued....I am assuming you are asking about the NAVY?

Thanks but still confused. Read the article http://www.northamericantrainer.org/t-28.htm but it made no mention of VT-2. Are these T-28B/C variants? What was the horsepower and engine used?
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:02 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,062 Posts
VT-2 is a Naval Training Squadron (the oldest, actually) based at NAS Whiting Field, near Pensacola in the Florida panhandle; they used T-28B and C models.
RCG Plus Member