HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:10 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,044 Posts
never mind.. Im ordering the 2700mah zippy compact only 11g + than my stock turnigy 2200.. so i guess i should be alright

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

what do you guys think? what should be the difference in flight time ill get?
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:47 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,819 Posts
update

so i flew her today with a pz bf-109 3 blader. wind was 10+ mph and she is fast with that prop. on stock plane she does almost 6 min on a 2200 mah before hitting lvc. flew her at wot all the time. motor and batt were hot at the end of each flight. did 3 flights. brings up my total flights to 99 on this plane. definitely recommend the bf-109 prop.

ps - on a more negative note. the canopy was annoying. kept flying off on the third flight even though i stopped doing inverted flying. spent the better part of the third flight landing her and going trudging to the end of the field to retrieve that miserable canopy. need a better idea than magnet to keep her on specially since flying in the wind is most of the fun.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:14 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
First thing.. NO.

you will most likely upgrade your ESC... so keep in mind you are gonna need a watts meter.. and then check with the prop and motor combination for Amps pulled.. i guess a 10x8 prop will be better but be sure to do not guess with the Amps and the ESC
Thanks for the watts warning The manual says that stock ESC is 30A which I think it would do ok with a 1200kV motor + 9X6 prop.
Anyway, I will bench test before flight, just to be sure. I dont own a wattsmeter (yet) but I do have an ESC with datalogging that I use for ground tests.
dk31 is online now Find More Posts by dk31
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:20 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
ps - on a more negative note. the canopy was annoying. kept flying off on the third flight even though i stopped doing inverted flying. spent the better part of the third flight landing her and going trudging to the end of the field to retrieve that miserable canopy. need a better idea than magnet to keep her on specially since flying in the wind is most of the fun.
Maybe the magnet is not your problem - at least mine secures the canopy very firmly. I would check that the back end of the battery does not push the canopy up (and away). If this is the case, you can cut/file some foam from the fuselage and canopy to make room for the 2200mAh battery.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:32 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
Maybe the magnet is not your problem - at least mine secures the canopy very firmly. I would check that the back end of the battery does not push the canopy up (and away). If this is the case, you can cut/file some foam from the fuselage and canopy to make room for the 2200mAh battery.
thanks for the suggestion. i had measured and ensured that the canopy would hold the battery front while also being sufficient for its length. my original magnet was lost so i got a new one from home depot. even though the magnet is stronger it may not be sitting well. i'm planning to put more of those at different points on the canopy lip. thats the only idea i came up with so far.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:42 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
773 Posts
I have been using the hobbyking ''rare earth magnets'' , square version, for all my foamies and the are great and cheap.
An even cheaper magnet source is to use the magnets of any old outrunner you have retired.
Just make a hollow in the foam, the shape of the magnet, and fix the magnet with epoxy.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:51 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,819 Posts
thanks for the tips. i have a whole bunch still (bought a stack from home depot) so i'm gonna mob this canopy with sheer numbers. hope it works.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:02 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2009
46 Posts
I don't even use magnets anymore. Just put some Velcro on the canopy and it will not fall off.
gwillia99 is offline Find More Posts by gwillia99
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:13 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,819 Posts
yeah, i was thinking velcro which is likely a much better method to keep the canopy down. but then i figured more magnets would eventually do the trick since i have quite a few of them. just finished epoxying two more magnets - one on each of the rear corners of the canopy, flanking the original magnet latch. also added some extra foam on the inner, upper wall of the battery tunnel. that should constrict any potential battery movement. will try her out again tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Well, yes and no....

The T-28 was really designed to replace the AT-6. Quite frankly, it's performance wasn't that much more, although it was a much larger, more versatile aircraft. The T-28 was greatly improved over the T-6 in one important aspect however because it utilized tricycle gear, something that almost all modern aircraft were going to, and especially the jets. This made the transition to jet aircraft a little easier because you didn't have to worry about groundlooping !

Like the AT-6, the T-28 would be pressed into service as a COIN aircraft with very good results.

Overall, a wonderful aircraft that we get to model and fly !
What actual version is the Parkzone T-28 modeled after?
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:51 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
What actual version is the Parkzone T-28 modeled after?
Since the Park Zone T-28D Airforce has been discontinued....I am assuming you are asking about the NAVY? If so.........

Training Squadron VT-2 pictured in flight near Naval Air Station Whiting Field, Florida (USA), circa 1973

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:34 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,990 Posts
In the spring of 1983, I stood in the Training Squadron Six (VT-6) ready room (NAS Whiting Field, Florida) and looked out the windows as the squadron's last student-flown T-28 flight departed. I was a new Ensign, having been barely started in the T-34C. The Trojans would be transferred to NAS Corpus Christi, Texas for the remainder of their career. She was a "big ole beast!" Though an injury would later ground me and ... like all repressed aviators... turn me into an air intelligence officer, the sound of the Trojan's big radial remains a sweet memory.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Jan 08, 2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:42 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
In the spring of 1983, I stood in the Training Squadron Six (VT-6) ready room (NAS Whiting Field, Florida) and looked out the windows as the squadron's last student-flown T-28 flight departed. I was a new Ensign, having been barely started in the T-34C. The Trojans would be transferred to NAS Corpus Christi, Texas for the remainder of their career. She was a "big ole beast" Though an injury would later ground me... and like all repressed aviators... turn me into a intelligence officer, the sound of the Trojan's big radial remains a sweet memory.
Thanks for your service!

I liked the Fighter Weapons School patch...a real Top Gun

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:06 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
In the spring of 1983, I stood in the Training Squadron Six (VT-6) ready room (NAS Whiting Field, Florida) and looked out the windows as the squadron's last student-flown T-28 flight departed. I was a new Ensign, having been barely started in the T-34C. The Trojans would be transferred to NAS Corpus Christi, Texas for the remainder of their career. She was a "big ole beast!" Though an injury would later ground me and ... like all repressed aviators... turn me into an air intelligence officer, the sound of the Trojan's big radial remains a sweet memory.
Awesome anectdote Dave; thanks for sharing the personal memories of the old gal...I fondly remember seeing these and many other wonderful old aircraft growing up in San Diego during the late 60's and early 70's. These aircraft and many others graced our skies and we almost took them for granted; heck, we did take them granted and now pine for the days that we'd see them again.

The attached photo is of a North Island based T-28 I found on Warbird Registry.

Thanks again Dave for conjuring up the wonderful memories,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:41 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
773 Posts
After the crash I had, noticed that two of the control rod clips had broken pin.
I figured an easy way to save me buying new clips and then adjusting the length again: 1.2mm screw (1.0 might do as well) inside the clip hole. I also had to make a ~1mm hole to the root of the broken pin, and widen the hole of the control horn a little. A quick fix and lingage looks more solid than the original...