HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,106 Posts
Man Carlos,

I am so sorry to hear that the T-28D went in !

Not a big fan of Spektrum myself...fly mine on a cheap little Tactic TTX-404.

How bad is the model? Is it repairable?

I hope it all works out for you, again sorry to hear of the loss.

John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Carbon Z Cub
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,583 Posts
John,

Thanks for your kind words and it would seem like this is the worse crash it has experienced. The entire Frontal Fuse has been crushed and frontal end of the FUSE has ripped off. Man, it really did lots of damage considering it crashed on high grass!! I am lucky it did not land adjacent to our Lake!

The E-Flite 30-AMP ESC is toast, not that it went up in flames but, the Caps are bent and the entire circuit board is twisted. The motor now will need replacing.

ALL servos are now suspect.

The only thing that did not break is the MAS 3-Blade 10 X 7 X 3 and Canopy.

Oh, the new Video (Key Chain Camera) came out like a Rose.

Pictures of the damage will be uploaded soon.

Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,395 Posts
Condolences Carlos!

Yep it was about 6 months ago that I lost my last model to Spektrum and switched over to Futaba 7C 2.4 ghz. The binding mode is MUCH more simple and the FASST compatible receivers make it affordable. I use Fr-Sky FASST compatible receivers and they work great...and of course are 1/4 the price of Futaba original equipment.

Just my .02,

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,406 Posts
i understand your frustration with spektrum when you loose a plane cause of radio related issues.. but ive been flying spektrum really hard for almost two years now.. Eflite apprentice, T-34 mentor, PKZ trojan and now Eflite mini funtana X and only one issue before... with a ar500 thats it... Dx5 and now DX8
BlinkguY is offline Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
418 Posts
I have used Spektrum for 1,000 flights in about 15 planes with never any problem. I am sold.
I use the 6200 with two antenna at 90 deg orientation and with a CC BEC. I think almost all electronics problems are user build problems. Also, I saw a person crash recently, he said he pulled up all the way down and got no response. I watched that crash, he was in a spin and pulling up guarantees you stay in that spin with no response (not an electronics problem). If he would have released elevator he would have snapped out of the spin. I have snapped out of spins a hundred times. That said, I am not saying Carlo's crash was pilot error, I know any parts can fail.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
PittSpecial - I'm no expert. But I'd suspect the 30amp ESC before blaming the Spektrum/AR600. This is especially true if you were flying on a 4-cell.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,180 Posts
love my spektrum dx6i with ar600 reciever antennas at 90 degrees. works like a charm. sorry for your drama.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:49 PM
flightkit=trashbag & leaf rake
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2009
59 Posts
Just wanted to let you guys know there are some good parts lots on eBay right now. Search for the seller hobb-e-mart, no affiliation just a happy previous customer.

I learned to fly on T28 and add several crashes that broke the nose clean off the fuse. it doesn't help that all of the weight of the motor is hanging out front. Also in any type of nose in crash the battery slams forward into the back of the firewall causing this break as well. Guerrilla glue and toothpicks are your friend if you want to repair it. I had bought a parts lot of 10 bare fuses and I learned to fly with 6 left over lol.
As far as the spektrum debate you'll find 1000's of diff. experiences. I personally have used them for years and have even had great experience with the orangeX receivers from HobbyKing. At <$5 ea. I love them. Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I even use their 9ch unit it my giant scale stuff.
I'm pretty sure every problem I've had has been my own fault as well. Either brown outs from over driving servos, or power loss from slinging lipos out of the plane during crazy drill bit spins lol.
You mentioned a suspecting bad servos and a bad motor? What makes you think these items are questionable? unless just from obvious physical damage? Its never any fun loosing a plane especially when deemed out of your control, but Keep us posted as you find out more!
Arcnsparks is offline Find More Posts by Arcnsparks
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
My new T-28

Hello all,

I am getting back into R/C after about 10 years off. I wanted to get a park flyer that was stable but yet not a complete trainer either. After lots of study I decided on a T-28. I bought a Parkzone UltraMicro T-28 last week and have been flying that at local fields and in front of the house. So far, no crashes (knock on wood).

I was surfing through Craigslist and found a full size parkflyer T-28 for sale along with several other planes. The guy originally wanted to sell the whole lot but came around to the idea of parting it out after a couple weeks. He gave me first shot at the T-28 since I had been in touch with him and had looked at the planes earlier. I think it is an older model because the transmitter and receiver are 72 mhz. The good news is that my old Futaba T6XAS will work fine with it. I got him to throw in the original Parkzone transmitter but I really just want the crystal out of it so I can switch channels on my transmitter.

Anyhow, the plane seems to be in excellent shape, no crashes, no repairs. The foam on the canopy is a little dented where you grab it to pull the canopy off but that actually makes it easier to grab. It might come this way, I dunno. The decals look a bit old and are peeling in places. Also the left wing servo is out and inoperative. Not sure why. Motor is stock and has stock ESC in it as well.

My plan is to get it repaired, new servo and such first. I really like the look of the yellow Trojans so I might just throw a paint job on it while I have it apart for repairs.

Other things I got in the deal are a Hobbico Accucycle Elite charger, two Parkzone 1800 batteries (one is a little puffy), one Electrifyl power series 1800 battery and one Turnigy 2200 mah battery.

I paid $200 for the lot. I thought that was a decent deal.

Here are some pics, suggestions??
Nathans_Dad is offline Find More Posts by Nathans_Dad
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathans_Dad View Post
Hello all,

I am getting back into R/C after about 10 years off. I wanted to get a park flyer that was stable but yet not a complete trainer either. After lots of study I decided on a T-28. I bought a Parkzone UltraMicro T-28 last week and have been flying that at local fields and in front of the house. So far, no crashes (knock on wood).

I was surfing through Craigslist and found a full size parkflyer T-28 for sale along with several other planes. The guy originally wanted to sell the whole lot but came around to the idea of parting it out after a couple weeks. He gave me first shot at the T-28 since I had been in touch with him and had looked at the planes earlier. I think it is an older model because the transmitter and receiver are 72 mhz. The good news is that my old Futaba T6XAS will work fine with it. I got him to throw in the original Parkzone transmitter but I really just want the crystal out of it so I can switch channels on my transmitter.

Anyhow, the plane seems to be in excellent shape, no crashes, no repairs. The foam on the canopy is a little dented where you grab it to pull the canopy off but that actually makes it easier to grab. It might come this way, I dunno. The decals look a bit old and are peeling in places. Also the left wing servo is out and inoperative. Not sure why. Motor is stock and has stock ESC in it as well.

My plan is to get it repaired, new servo and such first. I really like the look of the yellow Trojans so I might just throw a paint job on it while I have it apart for repairs.

Other things I got in the deal are a Hobbico Accucycle Elite charger, two Parkzone 1800 batteries (one is a little puffy), one Electrifyl power series 1800 battery and one Turnigy 2200 mah battery.

I paid $200 for the lot. I thought that was a decent deal.

Here are some pics, suggestions??
It looks mint!!! Nice
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,106 Posts
Spektrum lost links have been responsible for lots of smashed up models....that's a fact. For all those AR600 users with the satellite recvr's: why do you think they went to satellite recvr's in the first place? Because they knew they were junk. That's a fact. Not conjecture.

Lots of folks have been using Spektrum for years, with great results. That's awesome! But to sit there and say a guy with Carlos' reputation doesn't know how to set up a model is just plain nuts. He's been a staple in these Groups for years, and knows how to fly to boot.

Y'all can say what you want. If Carlos says it was the recv'r, than I believe it was the recv'r. There's just way too many instances on these threads of folks loosing their models to the Spektrum plague. Very seldom, if ever, do you hear the same about Futaba or even cheap little ol' Tactic, for that matter.

Everybody on these threads wants to be an expert....got it. Unfortunately, the numbers are on my side. More modellers loose their planes to Spektrum more than any other brand. Carlos is just the latest victim.

Sorry for the rant --- I'm not trying to peeve off anybody. Really, I'm not. Although, if I were Carlos I'd be pretty peeved off myself because someone implied I couldn't fly, or it was the ESC, or anything, just anything but the precious Spektrum radio system.

To each his own; if you fly on Spektrum and love it, than great. Keep flying on it. I personally have been flying since the Galloping Ghost days. My father taught me to fly on a single channel pulse-proportional radio system back in the early 70's. I've been around this hobby for a couple of days. I'm not terribly impressed with Spektrum.

Just my .02...

Cheers everyone, and happy flying....on whatever radio system you happen to use
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Carbon Z Cub
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,406 Posts
I guess is just a matter of luck... all systems are good... even hobbyking orange rx users.... ive seen people fly with those 5 dollars rx just fine.... with even 6 planes or more at the same time.... and they do great... i will never do that... so therefore spektrum is even better than those... so.... ive seen many people flying in my park with spektrum every sunday.. quiet a few... even old fm radios... all crashes ive seen are purely pilot error... so... i dont think spektrun m is really garbage... maybe is not the best... but is good... and never had issues before... so i think luck with bad eggs.. comes into play... if you loose a plane cause a eflite esc burned up means eflite is garbage for example????... then theres nothing good out there for anybody.... cause im not an expert but eflite esc are really good... dont know for a professional... but for a crazy flier like me who flies a lot it does the the the trick
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
AR600 does not have a satellite. That's a fact. Not conjecture.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,406 Posts
The one i used to have never had one either
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:03 PM
Aaron
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,418 Posts
Lots of these Spektrum issues are due to pointing the tip of the antenna at the receiver. Recipe for disaster.... Fly with the tip of the antenna pointing straight up in whatever positing you are holding the radio and you'll have no issues.
Realms is online now Find More Posts by Realms