1,745 Posts
yeah!!!!!!
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,581 Posts
Parkzone made it really easy....I guess they had folks like me in mind when they designed this plane !

It has a nifty little pocket for the battery....even one for the recv'r...! And despite all of my best efforts at flying with different sized batteries and capacity, I still have only used the pocket Parkzone has so cleverly made for me !

And that's my whole point....I encourage ALL beginners, or folks new to this model, to start out with your control surfaces mechanically trimmed, the battery in the neat little compartment designed for it, and have fun! If your model needs ALOT of trim or you think you need to shift the battery around, seek some help first in the form of an experienced pilot. I really hate to say it, but it just might be that your flying skills aren't quite there yet....and that's okay, because we were all beginners at one point or another. Goodness knows I've left the flying field with bags of styrofoam plenty of times... If you still feel the urge to go slicing away, then slice and shift to your heart's content. Your money, your plane. All I'm saying is that unless you've really modified this model (and there's some real barnburners out there in this thread....) there's no need for it.

That's the joy of this model...simply stick a battery in it, and go fly! I'll bet there will be more than a few of these lurking under Christmas trees this year....
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:43 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Parkzone made it really easy....I guess they had folks like me in mind when they designed this plane !

It has a nifty little pocket for the battery....even one for the recv'r...! And despite all of my best efforts at flying with different sized batteries and capacity, I still have only used the pocket Parkzone has so cleverly made for me !

And that's my whole point....I encourage ALL beginners, or folks new to this model, to start out with your control surfaces mechanically trimmed, the battery in the neat little compartment designed for it, and have fun! If your model needs ALOT of trim or you think you need to shift the battery around, seek some help first in the form of an experienced pilot. I really hate to say it, but it just might be that your flying skills aren't quite there yet....and that's okay, because we were all beginners at one point or another. Goodness knows I've left the flying field with bags of styrofoam plenty of times... If you still feel the urge to go slicing away, then slice and shift to your heart's content. Your money, your plane. All I'm saying is that unless you've really modified this model (and there's some real barnburners out there in this thread....) there's no need for it.

That's the joy of this model...simply stick a battery in it, and go fly! I'll bet there will be more than a few of these lurking under Christmas trees this year....
I think we're all saying basically the same thing. The T-28 flies just fine with a wide range of batteries and weights in the factory designed battery position. If you're a newbie, or if you don't expect perfection from the plane, just stuff whatever battery will fit in the hole and enjoy it. Especially if you're a newbie - a slightly more forward CG is NOT your biggest problem, not by a long shot!

But if you are a more advanced flier, and you really want to fine tune the plane, you may want the CG a little bit back from where it will be with a heavier lipo in the stock position. It does make a small but noticeable difference. I experimented with CG by adding removable weight to the tail (steel washer on rubber band). It did make it fly subtly better with a heavier battery. In the end though I just bought a higher performance plane, left the T-28 stock, and I still enjoy flying it with whatever charged lipo I have left stuffed into the stock position when the sun goes down far enough that there's not enough light left to have fun with the aerobatic plane.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Especially if you're a newbie - a slightly more forward CG is NOT your biggest problem, not by a long shot!
Completely agreed. With a newer pilot, a slightly more forward CG would actually help them. In fact, slightly nose-heavy is the preferred method for most pilots, experienced or not. Tail heavy = baaad, verrry baaad !

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:15 AM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,472 Posts
Of course, in addition to all of the great info in this thread and others, the single best reference is the comprehensive manual included with your model. You know, the one that details the CG at 2 1/2" from leading edge of wing. Learn to balance your plane accordingly, preferably before your flight, and then again, after any change which effects weight, including battery (largest source of mass).

Doing this will significantly reduce the likelihood of "bags of styrofoam".
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:04 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
And me too!

3300 4S breachloaded. Pretty much the same place as the stocker battery.
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,581 Posts
!

I'm sorry, but I thought I read "3300 4S"

Man, that plane must scream! What sized motor and prop are you running. And have you ever had a Radar gun on that bad-boy?

And yes, reading the owner's manual will help reduce the bags of styrofoam, but not completely eliminate it....sometimes the flying field becomes the dying field, no matter how hard you try...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
i have it inserted on the original space fo the battery... i was just trying to find out the balance with the new power 15 motor.... anybody trying to attack you (Justwingit) for trying to help must be taking some kind of medication
Or maybe NOT taking it?

I'm a heli pilot learning to fly fixed wing aircraft on a T-28 that I bought from a guy who had flown it hard for a year after buying it from a guy who used it to learn to fly. After a half dozen "solo" flights I can honestly say this airplane is perfect for a noob like me! It flies sorta like the real one which is to say a lot like a 1975 Ford F-150 pickup truck. not flashy but very stable and forgiving. I'm looking forward to souping it up a bit after the "new" wears off but in the meantime am having a lot of fun with the stock setup. CG does matter - I noticed a big change between the 1800 and 2200 batteries that came with the plane - had to add a lot of up elevator just to fly straight and level with the bigger batt in the stock location.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Or maybe NOT taking it?

I'm a heli pilot learning to fly fixed wing aircraft on a T-28 that I bought from a guy who had flown it hard for a year after buying it from a guy who used it to learn to fly. After a half dozen "solo" flights I can honestly say this airplane is perfect for a noob like me! It flies sorta like the real one which is to say a lot like a 1975 Ford F-150 pickup truck. not flashy but very stable and forgiving. I'm looking forward to souping it up a bit after the "new" wears off but in the meantime am having a lot of fun with the stock setup. CG does matter - I noticed a big change between the 1800 and 2200 batteries that came with the plane - had to add a lot of up elevator just to fly straight and level with the bigger batt in the stock location.
Like i said before... Planes seems to be a little different.... When i put the 2200 on... Still fly like the 1800 i dont feel anything different
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
+1

im not a beginner I do fly 3D and I have more than 15 planes and I still love my stock Trojan my only tweak was maximum throw on servos and 3 blade corsair prop or 10x10e apc prop, I do enjoy my Trojan like that is the best plane ever !
Gonna have to track down one of those 10x10 props, a little more speed would be nice......
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Aug 2012
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
Of course, in addition to all of the great info in this thread and others, the single best reference is the comprehensive manual included with your model. You know, the one that details the CG at 2 1/2" from leading edge of wing. Learn to balance your plane accordingly, preferably before your flight, and then again, after any change which effects weight, including battery (largest source of mass).

Doing this will significantly reduce the likelihood of "bags of styrofoam".
Anybody have a good link for this? Or just the pointer fingers?
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,581 Posts
Just pointer fingers....

Or there's several balancing sets available; I'm sure someone will post the link soon enough. Also, remember to balance your model inverted. A little nose heavy is okay. A little tail heavy and it'll be really, really twitchy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
4yo T-28 does it again! Aerial recon so I could find another plane. With all the briars in this thicket, doubt if I could have found it on the ground.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj