HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
All I want for Christmas is... MORE BATTERIES! Had two good flights at the club field this afternoon, rolling out on the grass about 30' on each landing. The wind was picking up but with low rates at 70% and expo at 15% the plane handled it fine.

I have to fly off grass all the time so I'm thinking about switching to larger wheels. Thoughts?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,498 Posts
i use 2.5 inch robart wheels. i dont use grass but if i have to i can land with some decent speed on the grass and it will roll over it and not dig in. a slow touch down may cause it to dig in on my long grass where i fly. i stick to the dirt infield of a baseball field. i have 150 feet max. its usually enough with a mild head wind. never gave the sock foam wheels a try. went straight to rubber.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:25 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
I use the 3 inch MPI lite wheels since all we fly off of is grass.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Last edited by JoshB; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,569 Posts
I've got the e-flite 2.5" on one T-28 and stockers on the other. Still looking for a lighter, less expensive option.
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I use the 3 inch Dubro lite wheels since all we fly off of is grass.
Any links buddy?
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Any links buddy?

I got it ma... Does it really helps on the landings... You know i will have to buy 2 pairs for about 19 bucks plus S/H i wanna know before i do proceed
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
550 Posts
PZ P47 wheels are an exact fit and big enough for my rough grass field.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...s-p-47-PKZ5305
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,048 Posts
Thata cheaper
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:34 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,498 Posts
got in 8 flights today. on last landing the wind had picked up a bit and i had a small bounce on landing and broke my 3 blade prop. bummer. she was all painted up and balanced too. oh well.. i balanced both of the stock props that came with her and painted and mounted one up. at least now im prepared at the field for next time. so glad it was on the last of the 8 flights. best time to happen i guess. also noticed the right side elevator hinge was totally broken! so glad i caught that too. might have been the reason for the bad control on landing. makes sense now that i think of it. fixed her up and ready to test out this new 2 blade. good timing i guess as i was starting to crave some more speed! i guess ill get it with the 2 blade over the 3. put her in the van and did my maiden on my new BEAST micro! what a great little plane that is! had just enough time to get 2 batts through her as light was fading. gotta love a biplane. walt
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
Walt,

How many minutes are you getting out of your batteries? Just curious, because if I had flown 8 batteries through mine, my thumbs would be tired

I get 10 minutes outta each battery; I use a meter and check my batteries every time they come out of the plane. 10 Minutes on a 2200 usually gets me down to about 30-35% capacity and well over 3.71 volts per cell. That's with mixed throttle settings flying sport/scale aerobatics and the occasional slow flyby thrown in for good measure.

The stock two blade prop is not bad at all for good, all-around flying. I've been flying mine on the stock prop for several months now since I had TWO PZ Corsair three-bladers come apart on me in midair ! The first one caught me by surprise, but limped her in successfully; the second time one let go, I knew what happened right away and dead sticked her in...greased the landing, of course !

Happy flying !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
550 Posts
10 sounds about right.

For a three blade, try the hk durafly for their t-28. You'll have to ream it to fit but it is a great looking and sounding prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Walt,

How many minutes are you getting out of your batteries? Just curious, because if I had flown 8 batteries through mine, my thumbs would be tired

I get 10 minutes outta each battery; I use a meter and check my batteries every time they come out of the plane. 10 Minutes on a 2200 usually gets me down to about 30-35% capacity and well over 3.71 volts per cell. That's with mixed throttle settings flying sport/scale aerobatics and the occasional slow flyby thrown in for good measure.

The stock two blade prop is not bad at all for good, all-around flying. I've been flying mine on the stock prop for several months now since I had TWO PZ Corsair three-bladers come apart on me in midair ! The first one caught me by surprise, but limped her in successfully; the second time one let go, I knew what happened right away and dead sticked her in...greased the landing, of course !

Happy flying !
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
All I want for Christmas is... MORE BATTERIES! Had two good flights at the club field this afternoon, rolling out on the grass about 30' on each landing. The wind was picking up but with low rates at 70% and expo at 15% the plane handled it fine.

I have to fly off grass all the time so I'm thinking about switching to larger wheels. Thoughts?
i don't fly off grass but i love my dubros. the main LG has 2.5" ones and the nose has 2.25".

why 2.25" on the nose? because i wasn't paying attention when i got them at the lhs. so i figured stick the smaller guys on the nose.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Any links buddy?
I told you wrong. They aren't Dubro. Here is the link though. : )

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ht-Foam/Detail
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,498 Posts
with the throttle where i fly now if im one line before full on thr tx i get 4 min.from my 1800mah,2100 batts. slightly more from my 2200mah batts and 7 min. from my 2500 mah batts. i get about 7 and 10 respectively if i slow down to one line over half throttle on tx. depends on my mood. thats with the pz corsair 3 blade. i will need to test this stock one soon to see any difference in time. im guessing speed might increase which i guess is fun. im really glad i caught the elevator half completely unhinged! it was the side on the control side. a loss of elevator spells doom... i also use a "volt buzzer" that attaches to the balance lead on the batts. i set it at my desired end volts and it beeps to tell me its time to land. best 6 dollars ever spent. no need to use tx timer really. more accurate than that. each batt with each flight perfectly set to the same volt warning. what a great product. tells total volts, each cell volt and is about 1inch squared and weights nothing. i still use my timer but the buzzer is the thing i go by to land. priceless.
Last edited by walter3rd; Nov 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:23 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
I had to re-tape my elevator several months back as well....

A poor design, to say the least, but hey, that's what clear packing tape is for !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member