HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumna View Post
But flying in the wind is adrenaline packed!
That's the truth! I have to live with wind though, it's rarely ever less than 10mph here where I'm at unless its really early in the morning, or late in the evening. Mid day when I have time to go there is always some heavy gusts. Just gotta deal with it and make repairs when necessary or don't fly at all.

Being a beginner I was waiting around forever for a calm day and finally came to realize that just wasn't going to happen, thankfully after the few flights I've had I've only had to make a couple minor repairs and still have a flyable plane! Knock on foam..
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:43 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,203 Posts
as a beginner i too learnt flying in the wind from day one. once you're used to the wind nothing deters you. and as you said, you deal with it or don't fly at all. plus, once you have the skills to handle wind they don't go away. i switched to mornings because of daylight savings time and when it does get windy in the morning from stormy weather, i'm usually the only one left on the field. in sum, definitely glad i learnt the hard way.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:26 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,426 Posts
agree. i was so excited after i first learned to fly that i was determined to fly every day. that was with my micro t-28. figured out fast that learning the wind was key to daily flight. then i started to fly the big girl and realized that although its much easier to fly in wind, i care more if it gets bashed from a crash. we have enough days here that are 10mph or less that its not really an issue.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:39 AM
Dirtnap Certified
Joined Aug 2012
194 Posts
If you are worried about wind get an eagletree guardian. You can adjust the gain for a little or a lot of help to maintain a heading. They really are awesome, I have bought four of them so far. Nice to have a backup plan. Cheers
Flyindude is online now Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:23 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,882 Posts
Gorilla glue will do the trick
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:29 AM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
That's the truth! I have to live with wind though, it's rarely ever less than 10mph here where I'm at unless its really early in the morning, or late in the evening. Mid day when I have time to go there is always some heavy gusts. Just gotta deal with it and make repairs when necessary or don't fly at all.

Being a beginner I was waiting around forever for a calm day and finally came to realize that just wasn't going to happen, thankfully after the few flights I've had I've only had to make a couple minor repairs and still have a flyable plane! Knock on foam..
Please don't bring up the subject of "knocking on foam"- I have plenty of experience knocking my foam against the ground! I only had to make a "few minor repairs" on my first airplane before it went the way of all wings into the dumpster! Anyway, what's your definition of "minor"? Ripping your wings off not once but twice doesn't exactly sound like Trivial Pursuit!
My rc hobby is pretty low budget. A T-28, Carbon Cub and Champ are the only airplanes I'll have for a while. Luckily the Phoenix flies in all kinds of weather!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Yes the wings came off twice, but they wasn't broken in half. Just took a little glue and tape on the mount to make it right. So to me that is minor. Maybe pieces broken in half in multiple places. Bent pushrods, having to get replacement parts and such I would consider major, I don't know I haven't had to go that route yet.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,426 Posts
heading out soon with 8 charged batts! mild winds and warm clothes.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Have Fun!!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,426 Posts
glorious afternoon! 8 nice flights calm winds. on last batt a guy walks up with a eflite extra 260. nice looking plane. he said he just added the stabilization module to it. flew great. then... on his go around for landing, while not using timer, his battery dies and he flys into a soccer goal! thats why i love my timer and voltage monitor. just hit his landing gear strut lucky for him. i did not see it but hear a loud clear DING!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Awesome! Glad to hear you got in some good flights! Bummer about the other guy though. I'm finishing up the repairs on mine tonight so I can get a few flights in the morning, hopefully I will get some light winds too. We will see!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,426 Posts
i hope you get them in. im charging all 8 back up for tomorrow. im addicted! hopefully ill be picking up the beast next week so i have a small field plane option as well. killed my micro- t28 with a glitchy aileron! on to bigger and better things. mainly 2s batts! getting spoiled by my 2500mah batts in the big t-28. the stock 1800mah just doesnt cut it. with the throttle i use these days i only get 4 plus minuted with them. my 2500 give me about 9 minutes.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
I'm using 2100 and have my timer set on 8 minutes, usually at the 1 minute left beep I start thinking about landing and get it down right at or a little after the buzzer goes off. Unfortunately I have to charge at the field because now I'm down to 2 batteries. My other one crapped out the other day. Besides my pilot error I think the battery had something to do with my nose dive into the ground. The low voltage cut off on my esc was pulsing the motor on my final approach and I didn't have enough power to fight the wind gusts and bring it down safely. And that was at 4 mins. So no more using that battery.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, VA, Blacksburg
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
So this is a HUGE thread, hopefully somebody can help me out so I don't have to read 17 hundred pages, I busted my prop and need a new one, is the stock size the best for the stock motor? I'm putting in a HobbyKing order soon so if they have something that'd be great!

While i'm at it, is there a recommended motor/prop combo to upgrade to? (fast is fun, but I don't want it to be ludicrous)

Thanks! (And sorry if this has been asked a hundred times)
t280708 is offline Find More Posts by t280708
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,426 Posts
as far as i know people like the stock one just fine. im a 3 blade guy so i run this. not the fastest but looks great and pulls with sweet torque. whisper quiet after balancing too. campbellj - 2 batteries is silly! you need to invest my friend... you may want to invest in the small digital volt meter that plugs into your balance lead on your batteries. you can set the buzzer to go off at a set volt and it tells you exactly when to land. even more acurate than the tx timer because its real time info as the timer isa guess depending on throttle management. it helps you safetly squeese out all 80% of your battery and wont let you get to low voltage cut off which is a nice thing. it was like 6 dollars. it also tells you total volts on battery as well as individual volts on each of the 3 cells. love it. so cheap and so nice to have. you really dont need a tx timer with it but i use it to remind myself of the time i was in the air before i heard the buzzer. easy to hear from wayyyyy up too.
Last edited by walter3rd; Nov 10, 2012 at 07:35 PM.