HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:54 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Yes they do. Those rare earth magnets work great and are usually cheap. Couple bucks for 10 usually.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:46 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
hi guys. my canopy magnet fell off - dunno where it went. any easy fix to keep the canopy on? it flew off twice in midflight this morning.
The magnet on the fuselage side on mine came off as well, but fortunately, it was stuck to the opposing magnet on the canopy.

I epoxied the magnets on both my T-28's as the solution.
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Last edited by marksp; Nov 05, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:08 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,200 Posts
thanks guys
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:42 PM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
I have just returned to the hobby after a gap of over 30 years.
I maidened my PZ T28 today. The reason I bought the plane was because of what I have read about it on RCgroups. 3 flights later, I love it. I flew it on 100% throws at first with no expo and the elevator was very touchy. (when I started you flew what you had) I have calmed things down but I haven't got it dialed in just right yet. I promise I will read the whole thread when i get time but if any of you are feeling kind i would really apreciate some pointers on settings and essential mods
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,882 Posts
Well buddy i know i wont be as savvy as other guys... But any mods i know you will have to do is the landing gear... Its not from the gears it self but from the gear base it self.. Dont know exactly the technical name of it.. But the two plastic wheels mount attached to the wing... Mine started to come off the wing after maybe 20 flights with no really hard landigs at all.... So you can wait until they start to come off or you can bind it to the wing with a CA or gorilla glue... You need to know how to use the secound one.... Cause it expands a lot... And just go with the manual rates ... They do work great for me on dual rates with my dx8 and no expo for me.. But its up to you.... Guys will start to come with more technical and complex answers than me....
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:38 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,425 Posts
i only have about 60 flights on mine but im in love as well. charging batts as i type this. i agree about the gear. i heard the stories and added glue and went over the entire plastic plate with white duct tape to add strenght and spead out the surface forces. all this before the maiden flight. been working great. i added bigger 2.5 inch tires to help with rough grass and bumpy dirt. agreed elevator is very aggressive! i just learned to use her gently. i fly high rates no expo at the moment set up like the manual says for now. i siliconed my wings to the fuselage to stiffen up the connection. added a zip tie sticking out of the rear canopy to act as a grab tab instead of dirtying up the white foam. works great. im a 3blade prop guy too. balanced a corsair prop and love it. less top end but flys great and works well. the plane isa pure joy to fly. im not a speed demon so im happy with the stock power plant. ill wait till my p-47 purchase to worry about speed upgrades. lots of cosmetic changes can add tons of wow to this base model bird too. have fun. walt
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:56 AM
Dirtnap Certified
Joined Aug 2012
194 Posts
Pilotectomy

Well Andre the Giant is gone, and in his place what should have been there from the outset. OK my painting skills won't win an art show, but I like it heaps more than the original. Cheers.
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:39 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,331 Posts
A twitchy or touchy elevator generally means one of two things:
- The CG is too far back.
- You could benefit from some expo.

Check the CG first.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:44 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,425 Posts
better pilots are a must i agree!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:35 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
You need to reinforce the front landing gear. That plastic behind the rod will break very easily if you put it in nose first on landing. Its not really a hard fix. Some cut out a small piece of foam and add done thin balsa behind the plastic piece. I took a piece off the back of a computer (expansion slot cover) and cut it down to fit just behind the wheel rod in front of the plastic redistributing the force on it. Works great. That was the first mod I did to my dads T28 when we got it for him last year. I also adding packing tape along the wing edges and belly. Keep an eye on the elevator hinges for breaks or tears. Blenderm can be used to fix that. I fly mine on 75% throw with 15% expo on low and 100% and 20% expo on high. I'm still playing with all that though so just experiment with it till you find out what you like best.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:29 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
A twitchy or touchy elevator generally means one of two things:
- The CG is too far back.
- You could benefit from some expo.

Check the CG first.
+1 on the cg. it gave me some headaches in the beginning.
i fly linear rates only and i do fine but i've never flown expo so i can't say anything about it.
yea, as others have said the nosegear is an issue. i immobilized mine while adding a foam block support to it and i can't say i miss the steering option. but others may not want to do that of course.
ps - 30 yrs hiatus and you flew the t28 without a major issue. nice!
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:23 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
You need to reinforce the front landing gear. That plastic behind the rod will break very easily if you put it in nose first on landing. Its not really a hard fix. Some cut out a small piece of foam and add done thin balsa behind the plastic piece. I took a piece off the back of a computer (expansion slot cover) and cut it down to fit just behind the wheel rod in front of the plastic redistributing the force on it. Works great. That was the first mod I did to my dads T28 when we got it for him last year. I also adding packing tape along the wing edges and belly. Keep an eye on the elevator hinges for breaks or tears. Blenderm can be used to fix that. I fly mine on 75% throw with 15% expo on low and 100% and 20% expo on high. I'm still playing with all that though so just experiment with it till you find out what you like best.
I did the plywood reinforce the first time I folded the nose wheel through the firewall. After the second time I glued two small strips of flat CF to the back of the firewall, then doubled them, and inserted another strip between the foam fuse halves, glued to the back of the firewall strips to make a T shaped reinforcement. Used Welders.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:58 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
+1 on the cg. it gave me some headaches in the beginning.
i fly linear rates only and i do fine but i've never flown expo so i can't say anything about it.
yea, as others have said the nosegear is an issue. i immobilized mine while adding a foam block support to it and i can't say i miss the steering option. but others may not want to do that of course.
ps - 30 yrs hiatus and you flew the t28 without a major issue. nice!
I'm recently retired and brand new to rc airplanes.

After flying an MCX-2 for a month or so and then an SR 120 for a year I finally broke down and bought a Carbon Cub a couple of months ago just to get my feet wet with fixed wing. IMHO the CC was a BIG mistake for a beginner!

I pretty much destroyed the CC over the course of a total of less than an hour in the air. The wings are mostly tape and glue and I had to add some spacers in between the fuse halves just to keep the motor from binding. I finally gave up and bought a second one; it will stay in the box waiting for a dead calm day - next spring!

Last week I was able to pick up a used T-28 with a new motor and receiver. After five solo flights I have to say it is a fantastic airplane for a beginner like me! This morning I had three flights on two batteries; it was overcast and a litttle windy (10-12 mph gusting to 15). Five minutes into the first flight I got disoriented due to the cloud cover; before I realized it the plane was more than a half mile down wind on the other side of a line of trees.

Luckily I had spent a couple of hours "flying" the T-28 on the Phoenix sim so I knew what the bird would look like at the extreme edge of visual contact. I was able to use that experience to recover from several "near misses" and work it back upwind to the field - a lot easier to talk about than actually pull off! I landed and waited a few minutes for the adrenalin to clear the bloodstream. Then I went ahead and flew out that batt plus another one, finally chickening out and landing for good when the glare got too bad.

I had already put two batts through the plane in much better conditions over the weekend plus my "maiden flight" with the club instructor last week. I highly recommend flying with a "pro" the first time out. One thing I hadn't noticed quite as much on the sim was the tendency for the plane to tip left or right on the ground in even the slightest crosswind. That happened on my second flight this morning; I was able to throttle down fast enough to avoid damaging the prop or motor shaft.

The other thing that I'm still getting used to is how sensitive the elevator is. The plane shot almost straight up as soon as it lifted off under full power; I overcorrected and "porpoised" a couple of times, almost pancaking before just letting it head on up to a safe altitude.

I'm really looking forward to reading the earlier posts and trying the mods, especially the ones related to successfully flying off grass.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Nov 06, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:14 PM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. I will certainly have a look at the front leg though it isn't a priority at the moment as I don't have a suitable run way in the field I am using so I am hand launching and belly landing. I am going to join the local club but they use a grass runway so the bigger wheels and the strengthening will be essential. I checked the C of G and it was ok with the two different sizes of batteries I am using. For me I think expo on the elevator is a must.
1Pilgrim, I bought a HZ Firebird Stratos first and quickly got my confidence back. The Stratos is a great flier and I would recommend it as a first plane. I think anyone could teach themselves with that plane. The T-28 was a bit of a jump but was fine once I treated the elevator with a feather like touch.
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:45 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wregie View Post
Thanks for all the tips. I will certainly have a look at the front leg though it isn't a priority at the moment as I don't have a suitable run way in the field I am using so I am hand launching and belly landing. I am going to join the local club but they use a grass runway so the bigger wheels and the strengthening will be essential. I checked the C of G and it was ok with the two different sizes of batteries I am using. For me I think expo on the elevator is a must.
1Pilgrim, I bought a HZ Firebird Stratos first and quickly got my confidence back. The Stratos is a great flier and I would recommend it as a first plane. I think anyone could teach themselves with that plane. The T-28 was a bit of a jump but was fine once I treated the elevator with a feather like touch.
I will probably have to dial in some expo to prevent the "porpoising".
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim