HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, AL, Randolph
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
Walt,
I recently changed all my equipment over to E3s. I used to use Astro, but I went to buy some and they were $7 a pair. I found the E3's at Valuehobby for $1.00 a pair I think. I buy them in lots of 10. My standard now is JST for 10 amps and under and E3 for all else. Chargers, adapters,ESC's, meters all for $20.00 and some left over. About the same as 3 sets of Astro's
They also have XT60's same price.
Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Last edited by Travler; Sep 27, 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: add text after checking facts
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,725 Posts
I have to agree with Travler.....

If you're going to standardize, than standardize on something that has LHS support and is easily purchased here in the states. That would be EC3. Those silly Banana plugs only work on certain models/brands (of course, just like EC3), but then again, have only very limited support built in. I wouldn't change the E-flite ESC; I'd go the other way around and change the battery. What are you going to do when you buy a Wildcat? Change that ESC too? Probably not.

Change the batteries.

Here's some great batteries that I've been flying off of all summer in my Trojan:
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/MAX22003S.html

Heck, I'm probably going to order some more...

Mine (five of them) already have numerous cycles through them and are holding up well without any puffiness -- and that after working the plane hard in 95-100 degree heat....highly recommended. "But oh, they're twice what I can get from the other retailers".....yeah, and usually, you get what you pay for. I've already had one Turnigy 2200 crap out on me after about three cycles, so go with what you want. Just trying to steer you towards some quality stuff for your field box.

I fully understand about the charger...a trip to your LHS may benefit you by finding some adaptors or perhaps even another charger. After the intial cash outlay, this hobby does start to slow down and become fairly affordable.

Cheers Walt, and have fun with your T-28...it's an outstanding model. You already paid premium price for the model: why cut corners on the power supply?

Just my .02 .
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Sep 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,375 Posts
agreed. im going to get a male charging adapter for my charger and switch the gen ace batteries to the ec3 female connectors which i already purchased. just need to buy the soldering iron, solder etc... looking forward to being able to balance charge my batteries on a charger that actually lets you see the individual cells balancing and lots of other real time info. so far i really like this thunder ac680 charger. question... how long is too long for a battery to sit at full charge before another flight? i will start to use the storage charge feature on my charger, but can i full charge my batteries if i plan on flying in about 2 days or so? wondering what is the cut off time to put them in the storage charge mode? THANKS, WALT p.s. i flew my dads wildcat today as well.a bit more twitchy even on low rates but a great plane that really moves out! great fun too.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Last edited by walter3rd; Sep 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:46 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
I never put "storage" charge in my LiPo batteries.

I always fully charge, ready for next use. Having said that, I fly at least every 3-4 days.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,911 Posts
Walter, I found a banana to EC3 adapter on e-bay for around 6 bucks. I bought some SkyLipos that have banana plugs and I just use the adapter and it works great. I don't have any place I can solder so this is a great option.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Love those EC3's

Check this out...where I get 'em:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idproduct=9625

$5 for 10 pairs but you'll have to wait a week or two for delivery from China.

Russ

P.S. There are good YouTube videos to learn to solder 'em if you need it.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Oct 2009
88 Posts
Any prop suggestions for a G25 870kv motor, 70 amp esc, 3s 2200 30c lipos?
Thanks
drktkm is offline Find More Posts by drktkm
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
I have to agree with Travler.....

If you're going to standardize, than standardize on something that has LHS support and is easily purchased here in the states. That would be EC3. Those silly Banana plugs only work on certain models/brands (of course, just like EC3), but then again, have only very limited support built in. I wouldn't change the E-flite ESC; I'd go the other way around and change the battery. What are you going to do when you buy a Wildcat? Change that ESC too? Probably not.

Change the batteries.

Here's some great batteries that I've been flying off of all summer in my Trojan:
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/MAX22003S.html

Heck, I'm probably going to order some more...

Mine (five of them) already have numerous cycles through them and are holding up well without any puffiness -- and that after working the plane hard in 95-100 degree heat....highly recommended. "But oh, they're twice what I can get from the other retailers".....yeah, and usually, you get what you pay for. I've already had one Turnigy 2200 crap out on me after about three cycles, so go with what you want. Just trying to steer you towards some quality stuff for your field box.

I fully understand about the charger...a trip to your LHS may benefit you by finding some adaptors or perhaps even another charger. After the intial cash outlay, this hobby does start to slow down and become fairly affordable.

Cheers Walt, and have fun with your T-28...it's an outstanding model. You already paid premium price for the model: why cut corners on the power supply?

Just my .02 .

Well i have to step up on the Turnigy batteries, cause i dont want walter to get a bad idea of the turnigy batteries when i know on my experience that they are really good and even better than batteries sold somewhere else... Why?

my first plane..

Super CUB LP - bought three of them TURNIGY and were bettern than the ones provided by horizonhobby.

Apprentice Eflite: 3 more of them, and were better than the eflite batteries it self.. more power and longer flights.

Eflite T-34 mentor.. 2 more Turnigy batteries.. and same story....

bought three for my Trojan. 3 cicles already.. everything good!

so 11 batteries, bettern than the ones provided horizonhobby.... and everything works great.. i have batteries almost 2 years old, and they are still going strong and no need to purchase replacements...

Don't get me wrong... hobbyking is garbage.... But the turnigy line is awesome and waaaay sweeter for your budget taste... and they perform equal or better to the other expensive brands... that are way over priced... i just use hobbyking for batteries, motors and accesories like clamps, tools, miscellaneous stuff, (no other elctronics) but i know for sure if you get 3 turnigy batteries for 10.99 you will not be dissapointed... go ahead and buy two plus the price of shipping, throw 3 dollars up in the air, and you will see. maybe JUSTWINGIT had a bad couple of batteries and if i were him ill feel the same way about anything i buy the first time and not perform the way it should be... im not the kind of guy who gives secound chances to first time brand purchase. but i had to let you know before you decide to spend money on batteries when you can get a two for the same price of another brand, cause at the end we just want more time in the air for less money without putting performance on jeopardy
BlinkguY is offline Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, AL, Randolph
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
Another thing about the E-3's is they come apart easier than the Deans. If they are hard to separate use a pair of cheap snap ring pliers (Harbor Freight $2.00). Fit right in the slot between the barrels and pop you are disconnected. I would enclose a pic but by the time I found the camera the battery is dead.

Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Parkzone T28 1080p HD video

Here is a video I took yesterday at a friends house in Venus, TX
I finally got all of the jello effect out of my video by cushioning the camera. I used a Swan Freestyle HD cam, I'm pretty pleased with the video quality of this cam. It ain't no Gopro but it cost half as much and comes with a removable LCD back.
Parkzone T-28 Rear View 1080p HD (9 min 11 sec)
rgwilson is offline Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
483 Posts
Turnigy D3542-1250kv --on the T28

To add to the data base that we've compiled on this T28 thread, I put the watt meter on the Turnigy D3542-1250kv motor. Here are the results at full-throttle:

495.3 watts peak
49.27 amps peak
0.7 Wh
9.62 Vm
0.075 Ah

Prop: Parkzone 9.5 x 7.5 stock prop. balanced!
Lipo: Nanotech 2200mAh, 45-90C discharge, 3s (weight: 6.8 oz.)
esc: Castle Thunderbird 54 amp
All-up weight (w/lipo): 35.6 oz.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How people size you up
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,781 Posts
Just a suggestion man.... Upgrade your ESC man.... You are in border line... And if for some reason they do have that esc a little overrated... You are going to miss your trojan man.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
quick question.. which way should i switch my gear? should i attach the ec3 parkzone connectors to the gen ace batteries or the other way round? one better than the other? i also have a new thunder balance charger and it only has the banana adapter not a ec3 so i cant charge my parkzone battery with her. i cant wait to fly again! help! walt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler View Post
Another thing about the E-3's is they come apart easier than the Deans. If they are hard to separate use a pair of cheap snap ring pliers (Harbor Freight $2.00). Fit right in the slot between the barrels and pop you are disconnected.Larry
Walter - Just my thought on batteries, chargers and connectors.

When I go hucking I go with 2 batteries and fly almost non stop for many hours.

I use to go hucking with a box of batteries to do the same thing. Difference now is I invested in Hyperion packs and they can be charged at over 10A because of their rating in under 10 minutes off of your car battery. My charger is only good for 5A so it takes in the low teens to juice one up. I'm saving for one of these:

http://www.espritmodel.com/hyperion-...-14s1000w.aspx

I had bad experiences with EC3 connectors. The wire connector would back out the back side when I connected and come loose later. Took a while to figure that out. That day I changed every thing over to Deans. Never looked back. Learning curve to solder but with a 55 - 60W iron you'll get the hang of it.

Since it seems like your new to this addiction and I know it's what your wallet can afford. But if your gonna buy, buy the best you can.

Here my friend, have some koolaid. LOL

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:19 PM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Just a suggestion man.... Upgrade your ESC man.... You are in border line... And if for some reason they do have that esc a little overrated... You are going to miss your trojan man.

A 60 amp esc should do it.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How people size you up
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,781 Posts
Amen to that!!