HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:31 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,233 Posts
great pic. i was greasing my umt28 today as well. 16 batteries through her. landing is almost my favorite part. believe it or not. bringing her down safely is very rewarding i think.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:47 PM
Gravitationally challenged
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
I think Justwingit said it best - "nice approaches = nice landings". Getting good alignment to the runway and keeping that gentle descent and not starting from too high up (hence overshooting strip) are key for me, plus considering windspeed/airspeed required. Coming from an ES2 powered glider I was getting used to gliding in but the T28 does sometimes need to be brought in under power, particularly into a headwind component. Cheers
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:16 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,491 Posts
Early on, you want to get used to bringing her in under power...not a lot, mind you, but power nevertheless. I usually set up a good approach at about 40% throttle, then slowly work the throttle somewhere in the 20-40% range while keeping a nice angle of attack during the descent (I'm off and on the throttle quite a bit during the approach in order to maintain forward momentum and the proper AoA while not building too much speed --- it's a lot of finesse!) Once over the threshold, back off the throttle all the way, flare at the end and voila ! BTW, planes with ailerons are nice because it's easy to keep the wings level during the approach and flare...

These things are way too much fun to fly...

Cheers and happy controlled landings....anything else is just a crash !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Sep 09, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Here's an old pic - there are quite a few "Trojan Tragics" at our club
My son and I own the one with the fictitious Marines scheme. It's clocked up hundreds of flights and is still our "Ol' Trusty" in spite of all the other models which have come and gone in the mean time. I've got an air-retracts upgrade planned, but haven't got around to it yet ...
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
Here's an old pic - there are quite a few "Trojan Tragics" at our club
My son and I own the one with the fictitious Marines scheme. It's clocked up hundreds of flights and is still our "Ol' Trusty" in spite of all the other models which have come and gone in the mean time. I've got an air-retracts upgrade planned, but haven't got around to it yet ...
Very nice. Post up when you do the retracts!
ncsky is online now Find More Posts by ncsky
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,491 Posts
Just posted last Saturday's flying with the T-28 on my blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729973

Some really nice quality pics, and a video to boot !

As some of you may have figured out, I can get a little long-winded at times and this way it saves space here on the thread !

Cheers and happy flying !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Awesome Flying and Great Pics...
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
Had two quick flights before sundown here and took the good advice of Justwingit and others here and came down to land with some power. Alignment to the strip wasn't perfect but the descents were way better than before and no torn out gear or thumpy landings. Was just beautiful out there - low 20dg C, and not much wind. Had left most of my batteries at home so had to suffice with a slightly dodgy 16C Align one, but as is the case the T28 takes it in its stride. Also worked on my procedural turns, these are coming out pretty reasonably. Just need to keep in the very strict urban boundary we have where I fly - 400ft deep and maybe 1100ft wide. It's adjacent to several school sports grounds hence the policy.

I have also bought the plastics kit from Park Flyer Plastics for the T28 which includes the two smaller pilot/trainees and the strut covers. Yeah the covers add drag but they look pretty cool I think. They are a little short but that doesn't bother me. See what you think.

Will press Mum into service to paint up the new pilot and trainee, using her acrylic art paints...

Park Flyers website - http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=173

Oh by the way, could someone please direct me to where the mods to the battery tray are discussed? Whilst I have read several hundred pages of this thread I haven't tripped over this area yet. I have found the tray a little fiddly to use in practice and I believe some are cutting this area open for better access and using other means to secure their batteries.

Cheers to all
Last edited by Flyindude; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,697 Posts
Thats a good mod right there with those more than good lookin landing gear
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,697 Posts
I really want that mod buddy... Talk to me Goose!!!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
OK check out the strut covers at http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=309

All of $4... yes you have to carve them out from the sheet and then glue them together with CA, sand lightly and then spray paint. Attach using clear liquid nails to your strut wires. I used the 6" long ones, but there is a slightly longer set, although it's also wider. YMMV...

Not entirely sure I got the direction right on the elbows but I think it's right for a T28. May vary on other models.

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:20 AM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Landing gear struts

You might also want to consider the Robart #106 SGST2 Trike Gear Struts
I believe the nose elbow goes to the rear and the mains the elbows go towards the nose.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Last edited by rgwilson; Sep 11, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,697 Posts
thanks both of you guy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:44 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwilson View Post
You might also want to consider the Robart #106 SGST2 Trike Gear Struts
I believe the nose elbow goes to the rear and the mains the elbows go towards the nose.
can you link to the site please
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
can you link to the site please
Here is a link to Robart's site http://www.robart.com/store/strut-covers

Any number of sites sell these strut covers for $ 13-14 dollars.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson